Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Any Keyboard/Synth editors or useful programs for Mac OS 9?

Hi everyone,

Here's a curveball. :laugh:

I've got an OLD Apple iBook G4, running a 1.07gHz PowerPC G4 processor and 1.25GB RAM. 55GB hard disk (technically 60 but 5 gigabytes are taken by the OS). It was an old family computer until it died in 2011. I've revived it with a replacement DC-In board. Everything's been copied off of it so it's basically mine to do with as I please at this point. Currently it is running Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger, which has a Classic mode, which allows usage of most OS 9 applications. I'm considering updating it to 10.5 Leopard, which is the latest OS it can run, but that eliminates the Classic/OS 9 compatibility mode.

Is there anything useful as far as music/synth software that I can use on OS 9 via Classic that would be worth not updating to Leopard? Editor programs for keyboards, etc? I have an old Cubase AI 5 disk that I can use on Leopard. Though with the skimpy RAM and other specs, I'm not entirely sure what I can do with it.

Thanks,

Max

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone,

Here's a curveball. :laugh:

I've got an OLD Apple iBook G4, running a 1.07gHz PowerPC G4 processor and 1.25GB RAM. 55GB hard disk (technically 60 but 5 gigabytes are taken by the OS). It was an old family computer until it died in 2011. I've revived it with a replacement DC-In board. Everything's been copied off of it so it's basically mine to do with as I please at this point. Currently it is running Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger, which has a Classic mode, which allows usage of most OS 9 applications. I'm considering updating it to 10.5 Leopard, which is the latest OS it can run, but that eliminates the Classic/OS 9 compatibility mode.

Is there anything useful as far as music/synth software that I can use on OS 9 via Classic that would be worth not updating to Leopard? Editor programs for keyboards, etc? I have an old Cubase AI 5 disk that I can use on Leopard. Though with the skimpy RAM and other specs, I'm not entirely sure what I can do with it.

Thanks,

Max

I use 2 old Apple Powerbooks,- G3 Lombard and G4 DVI 800.

G3 runs MacOS 9.22 and at least for me is usable for configurating SCSI stuff I need for vintage samplers w/ SCSI Director application as also it runs Emagic Sounddiver 3.05 flawlessly.

MIDI interface is Emagic MT-4.

I also got a Belkin dual Firewire port PCM/CIA new for cheap some years ago

Now, the G4 ... 800MHz and 1GB RAM,-

I threw out the optical drive and put in a 2nd HDD,- so it boots into OS 9.22 or OS-X 10.4.11 Tiger selecting the related drive at startup.

NO classic mode necessary !

I remember Classic mode introduced several problems even I´m unable to describe which and since we set all up the 1st time.

This book runs Emagic Logic Audio Platinum 6.4.3 w/ the USB dongle in OS9.22 and OS X,- as well as Sounddiver 3.05,- the latter in OS9.22 only though.

Unfortunately the Soundiver OS X beta version is almost unusable.

I bought a PCM/CIA dual USB2 port card so I can use ext. USB HDDs, - sticks and ext. opt. drive in addition to the Logic dongle and (my 2nd) Emagic MT-4 connected.

The only drawback of this PB G4 model are the lid/display hinges which break.

I already bought 2 trashed powerbooks off ebay for peanuts to canibalize parts.

I think I´ll use the books as long I use some ancient MIDI hardware gear and have EMU / AKAI samplers in the arsenal.

So, when you own old MIDI hardware modules and synths or keyboard-romplers, running Emagic Sounddiver 3.05 is worth using such old Apple powerbook alone.

It would be ideal the iBook G4 boots into MacOS9.

Try to find out and good luck,-

:)

A.C.

So, when you own old MIDI hardware modules and synths or keyboard-romplers, running Emagic Sounddiver 3.05 is worth using such old Apple powerbook alone.

It would be ideal the iBook G4 boots into MacOS9.

Try to find out and good luck,-

:)

A.C.

Thank you for the information on your setup! The iBook G4 I have is an Early 2004 model, the first 14" one, but it can't boot into OS9. Classic emulation is the only option there. https://everymac.com/systems/apple/ibook/specs/ibook_g4_1.0_14.html I might be able to install Tiger on an external drive and use Classic from there while having Leopard on the computer itself. It's my understanding that that isn't possible with OS9 even if it's installed on an external drive; the computer still wouldn't boot up.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

• 2 weeks later...

To update this thread, I've decided to partition the tiny 55.6GB hard drive into two sections - one for Leopard so I can run my Cubase AI5 program I have on a disk still, and the other for Tiger with Classic.

Anything I should look around for for Classic?

I have an Opcode Studio5LX rackmount 15 x 15 MIDI interface that I would love to find a good home for, even for very little or no money beyond shipping. It's still an incredibly powerful MIDI processor by today's standards, with controller mapping and curve drawing, filters, channelization, and a bunch of other stuff... but the operating interface requires OS 9. If you could find the code to run it, I would happily send it to you.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music