Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Bluegrass with the ukulele gang
#3033325 03/14/20 07:12 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
I may have posted before that I started learning the ukelele. At one point I took some group lessons, and once those ended I figured that was it. But I sent a message on the group's whatsapp and that spurred a get-together.

After a handful of those I decided we could do with one less uke, in favor of an electric upright. So I've been playing that ever since. Mostly, we'd get together once a month and run through some songs someone printed out.

Lately, some roles have been developing. Some of the ladies picked lead vocals, one of the members has started fingerpicking (and became damn proficient REAL quick) and the other gentleman has started playing more lead / melodies.

In other words... There's a group sound slowly emerging! I find myself remembering what lines I played in certain songs, as opposed to rooting and improvising my way through them every time. The picker has started suggesting (in her limited musical vocabulary kind of way) that we work out some fixed arrangements and really work on the songs.

There's no drums, so all this has a bit of a bluegrass vibe to it. I remember dreading the very first get together, but now I look forward to those monthly gatherings. At 39 I think I am the youngest (with one possible exception) but truthfully, it's more fun than my cover/originals band which is nearing its end.

Thing is, I really want to play uke in a band setting, too smile Guess I need to find a bunch of bassists, so I can join on the uke... grin

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour
BP Island
Re: Bluegrass with the ukulele gang
EddiePlaysBass #3033328 03/14/20 07:31 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
That sounds super fun!!!!
I'd be all-in for that too.

Currently I am uke-less. I was in a music store a few weeks ago and there was an 8 string acoustic electric tenor uke that I LOVED.
So, I ran away quickly to avoid racking up the credit card!

Keep to your quest, paths will open in front of you. Cheers, Kuru

There is never enough time to be in a hurry...
EddiePlaysBass #3033510 03/15/20 08:26 PM
lug Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
[Linked Image from app.box.com]

You can stop now -jeremyc
STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring
lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum
I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie
EddiePlaysBass #3033513 03/15/20 08:36 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Sat in with the duo that forms the core of my current band last weekend, using one of these. Can't say it was my a favorite, but it was fun.

[Linked Image from theukulelesite.com]

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

Link Copied to Clipboard