Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sharing in the Designer's Passion

For me a big part of the appeal of "boutique" is when I get to discuss a particular aspect of a product with the actual designer. Despite the marketing angle with the word by some larger manufacturers this is my definition of boutique. It can start with a simple question, reporting a potential bug, or just a fortunate run-in at a NAMM show.

I've found with numerous encounters many designers love to talk about their designs free of the market force pressures and political correctness bs. No doubt why the corporate weenies try to keep them away from the general public. These exchanges do not have to be in person although this is where I get most satisfaction. I've also developed a few very good relationships just with email. It's very evident when you're dealing with someone that is genuinely excited about their design and enjoys discussing the intricate details with other like minded folks. They're often as interested in your perspectives, criticism and suggestions and it almost always leads to way more interesting things than the initial topic.

I know this is not what drives sales but for me I'm much more inclined to want to support these type manufacturers. Obviously there are many more considerations for actual purchase but even when it's no-go I'm still interested in the development details. I don't try to bs the designer otherwise and with the good designers (imo) the exchange takes it course regardless. On the other hand responses that smell of bs or defensive posturing are a complete turn-off for me; not only to the particular product being discussed but to the manufacturer. Again I'm more than aware of business realities, resources and that I'm the anomaly in the grand scheme of things.

They'll probably never know that I know...or care.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know exactly what you mean. It's very difficult get rich in this industry, which tends to separate out the get-rich-quick folks and leave only those who love what they do. Product designers are a wealth of knowledge.

However I'd also add that I've run into marketing people and executives who are musicians, use the gear, and have both knowledge and passion about products. Just watching how MIDI 2.0 came together, which involved participation from all levels, drove that point home. Of course there will be the sketchy marketing quick sales people, but although I don't have facts to back this up, I think the percentage is probably smaller than in many other industries.

However I'd also add that I've run into marketing people and executives who are musicians, use the gear, and have both knowledge and passion about products. Just watching how MIDI 2.0 came together, which involved participation from all levels, drove that point home. Of course there will be the sketchy marketing quick sales people, but although I don't have facts to back this up, I think the percentage is probably smaller than in many other industries.

Yeah, I probably didn"t paint a fair picture here. Design engineers don"t have the monopoly on all that is good with our world. And I"ve certainly had and continue to have exchanges with some that leave me :redwall:. Also with some of these boutique companies the designer may wear all hats including owner, management, marketing etc. and their focus may lie elsewhere from mine.

Good people that care is really what this is about. I guess that just didn"t make for a very 'exciting' subject title. That and I may be a bit biased needing an occasional kick in the ass. :waitwhat:

Actually it was an excellent subject title. Sometimes people forget there are living, breathing human beings who put their heart and soul into the tools we use to realize our dreams. I am very grateful for them.

The MIDI 2.0 experience was kind of life-changing for me. I saw only people who gave a damn. They didn't care if people bitched about long it was taking to revise MIDI, they wanted to get it right. And as far as I can tell, they did. If only there was the level of dedication in all walks of life.

The MIDI 2.0 experience was kind of life-changing for me. I saw only people who gave a damn. They didn't care if people bitched about long it was taking to revise MIDI, they wanted to get it right. And as far as I can tell, they did. If only there was the level of dedication in all walks of life.

What little I saw of that in that one session at NAMM ("Strategic Overview and Introduction to MIDI 2.0") was really cool. You could tell there was some good-natured ribbing and such between the different groups, types, and manufacturers, but they clearly were on the same page when it came to what they were trying to do. It was great. :2thu:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

One of the reasons that I love to work with small companies is precisely because I have direct access to the wonderful people who create these amazing tools; plus, I get to have a hand in bringing their visions to the world, and have a front row seat to how these products and ideas work their way into the market.

It's simply the best fun. :cool::)

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

For anyone who doesn't know Dave personally, he was one of the people I had in mind when I wrote "However I'd also add that I've run into marketing people and executives who are musicians, use the gear, and have both knowledge and passion about products."