Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

NAMM 1988 Elka DMP 18 note MIDI foot controller.

In an impulse I just pulled the trigger on this:

Elka DMP18 Ebay

I may be in for some head scratching.....I thought most manuals had been found by now. Not for this. I found a schematic for sale, that's all.

Introduced in 1988, I wonder if it was mentioned in another General Music manual?

Any clues or tips to find info really apreciated.

This guy has me scared:

User Report on DMP18

This guy finally got aroudn to fixing his:

[video:youtube]

Reading about the Italian General Music company is interesting....apparently the S2 and S3 synths were fantastic. The Elka Synthex also highly regarded. Finally dies in 2009. Who kept the documents? LOL

Italian electronics what could be hard to understand, right? To be fair my SL880 from 90's I bought new, and has never failed. OK, I thought it failed and I even ordered some parts. Then I discovered reset. Luckily the parts were cheap.

Thanks for input and tips

Oh...how did I come up with 1988?

Namm Report 1988

Worth a read. DMP18 mentioned as new product. Also mentioned:

"Akai, along with Roger Linn, showed the new MPC60 MIDI workstation which combines the features of an extensive MIDI sequencer with a sampling drum machine. This is an impressive machine which lists at an impressive £2999. A new product, the ASQ10 (£1599), provides the sequencing features found on the MPC60 without the sampler."

The MPC1000 was the last in Linn's Lineage, in terms of OS and MIDI functions. Still being updated today by the JJOS, and considered the best no-daw out of the box MIDI/CV sequencer for live work today, excepting that one with 1.5 year waiting list.

I've been learning that this last week. God Forgive me, I'm starting to like some styles of Rap. LOL

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments. 

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

49410247668_8340d7264f_z.jpg

DMP-18 Foot Pedales by unoh7, on Flickr

There they are :) I guess that's Keith Emerson's rig.

Analoguediehard has about the only real info I have found and with the age of that page I will quote him just in case it's lost.

"Features of this MIDI controller:

MIDI channel selectable from 1 to 16

18 velocity sensitive notes (switchable to non-velocity)

Five foot buttons for MIDI program select

Octave shift from -2 to +5 octaves

Volume controller wheel accessable by foot

There's a button marked PLAY/PROGRAM ACCESS. The unit powers up in PLAY mode. Pressing this button enters PROGRAM ACCESS which lets you configure the controller and the unit sends sixteen note off commands at zero velocity and sends zero value monophonic aftertouch MIDI controller #123. The "MIDI CHANNEL" LED lights up and using the template on the top of the unit, you press the associated key to set the MIDI Channel. Press PROGRAM ACCESS and the next LED lights, allowing you to set the octave shift. Repeat presses of PROGRAM ACCESS cycles through each setting, then returns to PLAY mode. When in PROGRAM ACCESS mode you can return to PLAY mode quickly by pressing the high F key (sort of an "escape" key).

When KEY VELOCITY is OFF (default is ON), the MIDI note on commands have a fixed velocity of 64. While velocity sensitive bass pedal keys sound cool, in practice they simply don't work reliably with feet. When POLY is OFF (default) the unit responds monophonically, ON is polyphonic mode. Since the unit defaults to monophonic mode on power up, if you bump a neighboring note it sends a note off command for the note you wanted to play! Elka made a poor choice of operation, they should have implemented a "low note priority" in monophonic mode instead of a "last note priority". This forces you to be really accurate with your feet, which isn't easy in a standing position. When HOLD is ON (default is OFF), MIDI note off commands are inhibited. This lets you sustain any key without holding it down, which can be useful when playing with feet. It is recommended that you do NOT use this in polyphonic mode. You can turn off notes by entering PROGRAM ACCESS and pressing the high F key.

PROG CHANGE does several things. Press the B note and the "Performance Registration" buttons send MIDI Program Change, press high C note and they sent MIDI SYSEX (default, a very poor choice IMO). Remember that Volume foot wheel controller? Press high D note and the wheel sends MIDI Controller #4 (foot controller), press high E and it sends MIDI Controller #7 (volume). You can select MIDI program 00 to 99 using a two note entry in which the first note is the first digit and the second note is the second digit. Use the template on the top of the unit to find the associated digit with the pedal note. Ah, but the way it works is say you select program #34 - button one sends #34, button two sends #35, three sends #36, four sends #37, five sends #38."

Source

What is sad is I don't see anything with such features today.

My Seller just sent a message:

"Be sure to warm it to room temp, so it doesn't get condensation inside.

I checked it over and it plays well. I will send some useful info that explains how to work it. I have to find it over the weekend.

That should save you time researching, because info is VERY scarce. There is a service manual available on ebay, however."

Perhaps I overpaid, but I apreciate a seller who cares.

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments.