Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Paid Album Listening Events - the Next Big Thing? #3002931 08/12/19 05:08 PM
Anderton Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
I find this fascinating: people are paying to sit in the dark and listen to complete albums over gorgeous sound systems...sort of like going to the movies, but an auditory experience. Here's an article about the trend, which is happening in the UK.

Does this signify a possible return to the days when people listened to music intently, instead of just having it play in the background with data-compressed files? Or is this just another fad blip in a country that's known for them?

And what does this say about the album? Those who've visited myYouTube channel re probably aware that I prefer releasing my music in an "album" format, but I also post the individual songs as "singles." Interestingly, the albums get a lot more clicks than the individual cuts.

Re: Paid Album Listening Events - the Next Big Thing? [Re: Anderton] #3003109 08/13/19 10:14 PM
R
RABid Offline
10k Club
10k Club
R
If all you have ever had is an iPhone and a little blu-tooth speaker I can see that this would be an assume experience. Is it for me? No. I get the same experience listening to music through my HD650's, and if I want speakers, like most people here I have a really nice set of speakers. What a lot of young people don't see, if you spend $1000 on the latest iPhone you are ready to buy again in 3 years. If you spend $1500 on a nice set of speakers, 20 years later they are still going strong.

5 years ago or more Amazon put a line of outdated Infinity speakers on Black Friday sale for a fraction of the price. I bought the full set and it is the best sound investment I have made. We are talking towers, surrounds, big center channel and a 15 inch sub. The only available sub was a different color than the only available towers but I did not care. The color of the speakers does not affect the color of the sound.

Re: Paid Album Listening Events - the Next Big Thing? [Re: RABid] #3003113 08/13/19 10:33 PM
Joe Muscara Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
20k Club
Triple Secret Banninated
20k Club
Originally Posted by RABid
The color of the speakers does not affect the color of the sound.

And I bet you don't even use gold plated cables, either. Sheesh. poke

wink

The great thing about music is that there's always something to learn. The frustrating thing about music is that there's always something to learn!
Re: Paid Album Listening Events - the Next Big Thing? [Re: Anderton] #3003184 08/14/19 02:10 PM
Danzilla Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
But do they make the Healing Colors of Sound?

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)
NEW band Old band
Re: Paid Album Listening Events - the Next Big Thing? [Re: RABid] #3003221 08/14/19 06:08 PM
Anderton Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted by RABid
If all you have ever had is an iPhone and a little blu-tooth speaker I can see that this would be an assume experience. Is it for me? No. I get the same experience listening to music through my HD650's, and if I want speakers, like most people here I have a really nice set of speakers.

Well, not everyone has HD650s. Those are sweet suckers!

But I can't help but wonder if there isn't a social component as well. I can see movies at home, but I like going to a movie theater and being with other humanoid bipeds. I wonder if the listening parties have discussions afterwards...

Re: Paid Album Listening Events - the Next Big Thing? [Re: Anderton] #3003278 08/14/19 10:40 PM
R
RABid Offline
10k Club
10k Club
R
That is where we differ. I love movie night at home. Good surround system, 60" curve, 4K Blu-ray, premium food and clean bathrooms. Plus, 2 years later I can watch the movie again for free. At my age, after two years it is new again. smile

Another reason may be that my local theater suffered a bed bug infestation a few years ago. Plus, their popcorn is awful and the bathrooms are horrible. I'm in a small town, so there is only one theater.

Moderated by  Anderton