Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Vienna Symphonic Library releases Synchron Pianos: Blüthner

Vienna Symphonic Library released a surprise third library in its Synchron Pianos range this week. Not the one people expected (Bösendorfer), but rather an historical Blüthner 1895 Grand Piano (Leipzig, Germany). This one was recorded on the more intimate Stage B; the Steinway and Yamaha were recorded on the more expansive Stage A.

https://www.vsl.co.at/en/Synchron_Pianos_Bundle/Bluthner_1895

I was blown away by the audio demos, which seem perfectly balanced in every aspect, and different enough from more modern pianos to have a unique role. So I bought the full library, but only had to pay $182 from Best Service as there is now a Synchron Pianos Bundle with an upgrade path (also for Standard Edition). The live exchange rate may change, but that's still an awesome deal.

I'll have to wait until Monday for my license codes though, so was originally going to wait and post after I've used the library in real project work.

As far as I know, the only other Blüthner libraries are the 1929 German Baby Grand from Galaxy Instruments, and the Model 1 in Pianoteq. In fact, Pianoteq has been my main source for historical models in general.

Pianos before around 1920-1930 or thereabouts, tended to have narrower dynamic range and fewer harmonics. The resonance also tended to have a shorter tail. Apparently these factors, along with the smaller recording room, are why this library is much smaller than the other two in the series, even though there are actually more dynamic layers (from what I could tell during early comparisons of specs).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there was also a one-off Blüthner library done north of San Francisco CA, a number of years ago, that got good reviews, but I have long lost that info.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

As far as I know, the only other Blüthner libraries are the 1929 German Baby Grand from Galaxy Instruments, and the Model 1 in Pianoteq. In fact, Pianoteq has been my main source for historical models in general.

I am happy with the Pianoteq Blüthner. Glad for you you found a newer model for your liking.

:thu:

:nopity:

Pianos before around 1920-1930 or thereabouts, tended to have narrower dynamic range and fewer harmonics. The resonance also tended to have a shorter tail. Apparently these factors, along with the smaller recording room, are why this library is much smaller than the other two in the series, even though there are actually more dynamic layers (from what I could tell during early comparisons of specs).

Of course there's value in having different sounding pianos, just like an upright is often more what someone is looking for, esp for cutting thru the mix and having a distinct sound. But your description above is all the negatives for pianos before the 20's. What are the positives for having a grand that doesn't sound as 'grand' as more modern pianos?

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

I can't answer that until I get my codes and can install and use the library, but in terms of my parents' pianos, I prefer them to any others that I have played -- especially the Mason & Hamlin baby grand. I prefer a less boomy and reverberant sound, and less harsh highs. The M&H resonates as one unit; the keys vibrate when you play. Also, these pre-1945 pianos are what most composers used, up until Shostakovitch.

Your negatives are my positives, I guess. For library based work, I am finding that the Bechstein library meets most of my needs, and the ones it doesn't cover, tend to be spread wildly amongst a half dozen or so other choices. Nice to have the variety, of course. I don't know if the Bechstein is considered a modern or pre-modern sound though. I like it more than the Steinway for quite a few musical contexts.