Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Do you MASTER audio yourself, and what do you use if so?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I always careful how I refer to mastering when I'm refering to my stuff. I'm a songwriter making demos and while I work hard to get the tone and levels as strong as I need in the mix I usually find I need to tweak and squeeze to get my stuff to a level of loudness I think my material needs and still have some sense of dynamics. Thats somewhere in a -14.5db to -15.5db average RMS area with peaks that stay away from 0.0db and hang around the -1db area. In no way do I consider this mastering, just some light limiting and subtle EQing. I've done a lot of this with Wavelab with good luck. Every once in awhile I might thru a mix in Sound Forge and use the dynamic compression in it. Lately since I moved from the AMD586 to this new machine where I can work with everything in one window I've been throwing a plugin I like alot, AIPL Warm Tone in the master channel and using it's tape simulation as a simple limiter and making any EQ changes, that become necessary as I push the signal a bit, right in the mix. I usually only need a couple db of gain to make me happy but even a small gain like that can really make the low end and that harsh high midrange stuff a problem. Somehow making those changes in the mix rather than a print of the mix, feel and sound better. If I was truly trying to make artist quality release cuts, I wouldn't do anything that resembled mastering. I'm too tired and closed minded about the piece come that time. [ 02-14-2002: Message edited by: WFTurner ]

William F. Turner

Songwriter

turnersongs

Sometimes the truth is rude...

tough shit... get used to it.

I always 'master' our tracks before letting A&R guys listen to it. I always let a pro master our tracks before they reach a CD.. I use to 'master' using only my TC gold channel. Now that I got my new powercore I'll probably use that one... I always keep a DRY version and compare a lot before sending the finished tracks... I always send the dry version for mastering

Rotshtein Danny - Studio Engineer

Jingles show-reel

Visit DarlingNikkie.com To discover the sounds of "Darling Nikkie"(aka Jade 4U). . . .

New exciting project Goddess of Destruction

I use Sound Forge with Waves Ultramaximizer and Waves 10 band eq. Then I mormalize if it needs it. Ive been using less normalizing lately to try to keep the dynamics of the music. It sound so much better that way. Sometimes if I REALLY want to keep the dynamics, I'll just use volume increase to bring the levels up.

"Meat is the only thing you need beside beer! Big hunks of meat and BEER!!...Lots of freakin' BEER."

"Hey, I'm not Jesus Christ, I can't turn water into wine. The best I can do is turn beer into urine." Zakk Wylde

http://www.hepcnet.net/bbssmilies/super.gif

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15_1_109.gif

Archived