Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Power Supply Dilemma

I have a 15 year old wah pedal that has no pedal at all. It's called the Phantom Wah. It creates a magnetic field above it. When something breaks the field it varies the filter. No on/off switch. If you move out of the field's range (which is adjustable), it silently disengages. Very cool wah, extremely sensitive and [i]quiet[/i]! My dilemma: [list] [*]It was designed with two 9v battery terminals inside. I assume one runs the filter, the other sets up the magnetic field. [*]I'd like to use a single, 9v AC to DC power supply to run both circuits. I imagine I'd solder two 9v straps to a receptical mounted to the casing. [*]To the electrical engineers among us: Will this work? I've used 500ma power supplys to run 2 pedals before, but I never knew if this would damage them.[/list] As this is one of only 2 Phantom Wah's I've ever seen, I want to be especially careful. If I remember correctly, the MI retailer was asking $199 for it. (When Crybabys cost $49!) The only reason I bought it was.. they apparently couldn't sell them at that price. Mine cost me $50. Finding another one, however... well if I could find one I'm sure it would cost me a lot of $$$. I'll post a scan of the circuit in a day or two. ------------------ Neil [b]Reality[/b]: [i]A few moments of lucidity surrounded by insanity.[/i]

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fantastic, Chances are your pedal is based on Op-Amp technology and the need for a positive and negative power supply referenced to ground, otherwise known as +/- 9VDC. This can get a little tricky when trying to use "wall warts" especially if they are 3 prong (grounded) versions. First, you'll need two of them and second, I'd try to get them without the ground. This is strictly for ground loop hum problems. I'm not sure how much power your pedal needs to generate the field, but if batteries worked ok, then 250ma of current will probably be OK. After you hook things up, check for hum. If real bad, try re-orienting one of the warts, i.e flip it 180 in the ac power strip. Also, not all "warts" are created equal!! Usually the more expensive ones, like from DOD, Roland, Tascam, etc. have better hum eliminators. Hope that helps a little. Love to see the circuitous diagramus. (schematic) [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img] Pep

Thanks for the response. I hadn't thought of the possibility of the two batteries setting up 9v + and -. I did see that the terminals connect in two different places, which convinced me I wasn't dealing with an 18v power supply. I have no schematic! I bought this from their display case. I don't recall whether I received a box with it at all. I'll be happy to scan the circuit board, but I'm not sure, even with both sides scanned, that you'd be able to see the circuit without wasting undo time on this. Here's a pic I found at a gear site. (They had no info up about it on their new site, and the pic was all I found through a search.) [img]http://members.aol.com:/neilbergmn/phantom[/img] Thanks again ------------------ Neil [b]Reality[/b]: [i]A few moments of lucidity surrounded by insanity.[/i]

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Neil, Hey, I was just curious about the schemes...don't bother scanning the thing. Anyrate, I don't think you'll damage anything if you keep proper regard to the polarity of the supplies ( regardless of split rails +/- or single supply). Take care. Pep

Thanks guys. I'll probe the pedal first thing tommorow. It's a neat pedal, but I'd like to mount it in a pedal board. It's one of the 4-screws-holding-the-backplate type of casings. With the rate of decay on a 9v battery in it, I'd like to use a power supply. Not to mention ridding myself of the hassle of needing a screwdriver to replace batteries. ------------------ Neil [b]Reality[/b]: [i]A few moments of lucidity surrounded by insanity.[/i]

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived