Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How did we get here?

Can someone please explain to me how an extremely large group of intelligent, motivated, educated, and skilled individuals like ourselves has managed to get into a position where we can demand ABSOLUTELY NOTHING from the companies who need our services? We have absolutely no bargaining power. What are we going to do when we're old enough to retire? Where will the money come from? Why don't we DESERVE better treatment than this? It makes me sick to my stomach to think that there are people in our business that have worked a lifetime to be the best in their field and will receive no benefits from that. Where is the pension plan? The health insurance? What is it about us as a group that we cannot organize ourselves??? Technical professionals in the film business have this so why don't we? Is anyone involved in an organisation that fights for our RIGHTS as a group? We can't continue to let this happen. WE NEED SOLUTIONS!!!! Merry Christmas...

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good point,but I decided to go independent a long time ago.I think that if more people would stop thinking that a record deal/company is going to solve their lifelong problems/needs,this thread wouldn't be all that needed.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

Thanks for the responses but the real point is...what do you say to the A&R admin. person who openly LIES to you on multiple occasions about where your $$$ is and seems completely unaffected by the fact that you have bills to pay? I have a family and all I want is to get PAID WHEN I WORK. That's all. I've gotten responses from major label A&R admin. like "It's hard for us to pay at the end of the year...we're trying to make our numbers look good". Tell my kid that, asshole. I don't want to hear about "that's just the way it is", or "get a manager". I have a manager (a damn good one) but why should I have to pay 15% to someone for collecting the money I've earned? That's akin to being a waiter and paying someone 15% to pick up your paycheck. The fact is that when I've worked for it, it's MY MONEY. Is anyone really going to argue the point that engineers, mixers, and producers should have an organization? And before anyone mentions them...NARAS and RIAA are organizations for OTHER people in the music industry and AES, etc are technical in nature, not administrative. Can anyone convincingly argue in favor of NOT being organized? By the way, NYCDrew, I've looked into it and these unions don't help eng., mixer, producers. And MusicCares(?) helps artists "in crisis". How unbelievable that we'd have to wait until a crisis.

Archived