Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My amp stinks.....

SF audio

Just got a used Marshall DSL201 amp off of EBAY, and it stinks. Not the sound, but it reaks of cigarette smoke. How can I get the smoky smell out? Clean it good? Put it in the washing machine??!??
The thoughts expressed in this post are the opinions of SF audio and MAY be used or misquoted anywhere you want, either in print,on the internet, or on the bathroom walls....

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Actually, there are 2 things you can try. Febreze spray actually works pretty well. If you can't find that, get a plant sprayer and mix 1 part vinegar with 5 parts of water or so and mist it on the parts you want deodorized (and this works with clothes, too). If the smell is not gone the next day, repeat. You will kill it. Boggs
Check out my Rock Beach Guitars page showing guitars I have built and repaired... http://www.rockbeachguitars.com

It's byproduct of playing the bar scene. If you make it a habit to clean your stuff after each gig it's not too bad. As far as the Marshall, I would just use some dishwashing detergent and maybe some vinegar on the Tolex. It might take a few tries but should come clean and smell better.

On a side note, anybody have a good method for cleaning the tweed on mu Blues DeVille? I have a few beer stains that I can't seem to get out.

Just tie one of those pinetree car fresheners to the master volume and you'll be good.

Makes for a good freshenup during a tough gig in a hot room, too... just rub under the ol' pits and you're mountain fresh again!

DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Roland Bolt-60 (modified)

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

Or give 'er a good rub down with horse manure. You'll be longing for the smell of nicotine again...hahahaha...

Sorry, I couldn't help myself...hahahaha....

No, seriously though, the "car-fresh" thing sounds like a good idea!

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Had the same problem with a G&L Skyhawk that I used for years in the clubs. After I quit smoking myself, well, I had to give up the clubs, and then finally the guitar itself...I guess the smoke just got imbedded in the finish.

It will go away after a while though. I sold the guitar, but kept the nice leather strap...it only reeked for about 15 years....

I'm hoping the passage of time and NOT smoking cleaned up my lungs.

I never notice how stinky my gear is until I get it into a "clean" room (i.e. a room with no smokers in it). Then I take my amp out of its case and... OOOF. Smoke. Beer. Sweat. Funk. Nasty. My 4x12 has the same stink. So does our drummer's hardware case.

The worst was the time he threw a used t-shirt (post gig) into that hardware case and forgot about it for a few days while we toured in the summer. It just sat there and steeped in its own juices. It went from stinky to plain ol' HUMMING smelly. That shirt actually developed a personality until I threw it into a sink and made him wash it. Gross.

I say deal with the stink. It's part of the rock world. Love it. Become one with it.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

NO sheeeeit! I just recently wiped off my amps, got all the jager shot glass and pint glass rings off, juiced the pots, rebiased. Damn....the amp doesn't sound the same! :) Guess theres some kind of space time deal goin on with those rings...... :) Smoke? whats that.....oh the yellow film all over my gear, my lungs (second hand), and the inside of my truck (contact). :) Its part of the whole.....I love it. :)
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

"I say deal with the stink. It's part of the rock world. Love it. Become one with it.[/QB]

Hmmm...So I need to grow my hair long, shower once a week, smoke and drink excessively, and develop an attitude..... :D

Nah. I've done that already. I think I was 19 or something. My studio has got to be nice smelling, clean studio. Call me poindexter if you must, but the rock n' roll "image" is something I can do without....so the smoke smell has to go....I'll try armor all, then febreeze, and if that don't work, I'll hang a tree freshener....

The thoughts expressed in this post are the opinions of SF audio and MAY be used or misquoted anywhere you want, either in print,on the internet, or on the bathroom walls....

Hmmm...So I need to grow my hair long, shower once a week, smoke and drink excessively, and develop an attitude.....
Hey.. I never said YOU needed to stink. I just said it was OK if your gear smells funky. Actually, if you give it time, your amp will stop stinking. If you need to expedite this process, Armor All and Febreeze do seem to work. I gave up "unstinking" my gear a long time ago because it just kept getting stinky again. Same as my leather jacket...

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Archived