MusicPlayerNetwork.com
Hi, guys! This is my blind piano sound test Nord Stage 2 VS Casio PX-5S. Where sound is better? Thanks for listening! Hope on your feedbacks. Please, NO SPOILER!

Not sure about #1, but #2 is definitely the Virus TI2. thu
They sound very much on par IMO , with 2 slightly different timber characteristics - I ticked both boxes.
(I will leave off what is wrong with each sound , so there is no spoiler smile )

Brett
I voted for #1, seemed richer.

On #2 I heard an anomaly in the bass string at 3:44 - 3:46, like a volume inconsistency. Very subtle. But to me they both sound great.

Regards,
Joe
I voted for #2 because it seemed a tad brighter. But I like both of them.
Yeah, "best" is entirely relative to what music you want to play. The best sound for a classical piano solo is not the best sound for a salsa montuno! For the record I chose #1 because it seemed better suited to the music played in the video.
I think I've listened to too many digital piano demos because it was immediately obvious to me which is which.

snax
In a decent pair of headphones, #2 sounded more realistic to me. #1 had a sort of PCM thing going on - sounded a little synthetic.
Originally Posted By: D-Bones
I think I've listened to too many digital piano demos because it was immediately obvious to me which is which.

snax

Ditto hitt
No 2 sounds better to me . . . much more concise tone and quality.

No 1 isn't bad though and is a bit richer. I actually liked it more in the upper end but overall I think 2 is a bit better!

Think I already know which is which.... I own one!
Hi Folks, both sound close to me, however, I choose No 1. I am certainly interested in the PX-5S, great bang for your buck.

Same here. The Casio from a demo and the Nord from owning one.

So of course I'm biased towards the Nord, but there is also some specific quality of (apparently) all Casio piano sounds that I don't like. It's hard to pin down, but there is something unnatural about quite a few notes somewhere in the middle register. Basically when I heard the first note of the first song (I won't tell which version), I thought "oh, there's that Casio sound". Not saying the PX-5s is a bad instrument though, for example the EPs seem quite nice, especially the effects.
Listening, I prefer #2, but I suspect it's the one I prefer less when I'm actually playing it. #1 sounded more artificial. They both work!
I like how 2 changes timbre with softer dynamics. Whether that is the hardware related I don't know. Both products will run a lot of different piano emulations.
They both sound good,I voted for number two because its clearer and a little more vibrant.Niether is as good as my mp 11,na na na na na.
I voted for number 2 because the piano is much more detailed and does not suffer from that sort of a CP-80 sound in the middle register. Although Piano 1 is good it is clearly a digital piano. You could not mistake it for the real deal. Piano No. 2 has enough woodiness and air to make it closer to the real deal than Piano 1 (I would say by a significant margin).

aL
#2 for me - more detail, less looping.
Originally Posted By: Music*aL
I Although Piano 1 is good it is clearly a digital piano. You could not mistake it for the real deal. Piano No. 2 has enough woodiness and air to make it closer to the real deal than Piano 1 (I would say by a significant margin).

I agree.

I found that a good way to do this kind of thing is to put on headphones and imagine you just put on a CD of a new Rick Wakeman album or whoever. That is put yourself in the mindset of specifically expecting it to sound like a quality recording of a real piano. Maybe it's just me, but once I did that, without having to focus on this detail or that, one just struck me overall as arguably real, and the other one as "that's not real, he's playing a digital." Though it was disconcerting that the left and right channels were switched. ;-)

A variable not accounted for is that the Casio piano sounds are all based off the same sample set, whereas on the Nord, you can load in pianos based on entirely different piano sets. So if there was something you didn't like in the particular Nord sample used for this test, you might find another Nord sample you'd prefer. So it's not really PX5S vs NS2, but rather PX5S vs. one of numerous possible NS2 pianos.
To me they both sound very good. I ended up voting #2 but it was by a very slim margin. #1 sounded slightly more rich while #2 sounded very slightly more natural with the exception of the higher note range where #1 sound a bit more natural. My guess it that #2 would cut through the audio mix better on live gigs.
Just listening through my crappy laptop speakers, I prefer number 2.

But aside from the poor quality of my laptop speakers, I think that this kind of test could be impacted by the sequence when you hear the sounds. In other words, if I heard one piano in isolation or in comparison to another piano, I might draw different conclusions than if I compare it to a third piano. Kind of like comparing different wines.
I voted for #1. #2 seemed brighter and slightly thinner sounding with wavering on some sustained notes.
I prefer number 1 and that is only because I 'think' it sounds more like the PX-5s I use. Knowing that my ears are not the best these days mean that I may be totally off base but that is what it sounds like to me. Both have a great sound in my opinion and I would be satisfied with either. With that being said, I'm glad I didn't have to pay as much for the Casio as I would have for the Nord but even if the price difference was not that much, I'm still a happy camper with the PX-5s.

Anyone care to share their opinion of which one is which yet?
Originally Posted By: Shamanzarek
I voted for #1. #2 seemed brighter and slightly thinner sounding with wavering on some sustained notes.

Agreed.
I think if you listen to this or that particular element, chord, note, whatever, you can find imperfections in either. But I see that as a kind of forest-versus-tree thing. If you step back from the details and just let the whole thing wash over you, despite the flaws, #2 strikes me as a piano, #1 strikes me as a simulation. Though either would get you through most gigs just fine!
Originally Posted By: jcazzy

I expect most folks here have a pretty good idea of which is which. However I believe the OP was asking that we don't reveal our opinion (i.e. no spoilers).

James
x
They both sound real good IMO....The Nord is what, about 4x+ the cost of the Px5s? I could buy a nice little sound system to take to the gig and STILL have a bunch of $$$ left over. It's really hard to beat the Casio in the bang for the buck dept.....
Originally Posted By: Kawai James
Originally Posted By: jcazzy

I expect most folks here have a pretty good idea of which is which. However I believe the OP was asking that we don't reveal our opinion (i.e. no spoilers).

James
x

Ah yes! Went back and read the OP posting. NO SPOILERS! Sorry!
No. 2. More resonance and harmonics on the lower strings, less synthetic sounding.

..Joe
I just think that it's amazing that people are seriously comparing the sound of a $1000 board against a $4500 board.

This speaks volumes for the Casio. smile

SSM
Based on a lo-fi listen I would choose 1 for live pop rock band scenario and 2 for personal playing. 1 sounded brighter, 2 had a little more wood. Interesting others heard it the other way round.

I suspect the differences in our playback systems and our individual frequency sensitivity can sometimes be greater than the difference in raw samples. Makes these sort of comparisons pretty meaningless if the majority of voters, for example, had a pretty steep HF roll off in their hearing or little bass on the playback system.
Yes, I heard the opposite using headphones (sennheiser HD229).
Sound systems have a huge impact because their response to the input is what you are actually hearing. But they can't create magic from crap, garbage in garbage out. And neither of these two sound 'bad'.
So, at a certain point, will there be "the big reveal"? I have my guess, but I've been fooled before...probably more than twice, now that I think about it...

+1
#2 for me - more detail, less looping.

+1 thu
Originally Posted By: Six-string-man
I just think that it's amazing that people are seriously comparing the sound of a $1000 board against a $4500 board.

SSM

True enough, but the compare ends at the pianos... everything else is apples to oranges.
Originally Posted By: Markay
Based on a lo-fi listen I would choose 1 for live pop rock band scenario and 2 for personal playing. 1 sounded brighter, 2 had a little more wood. Interesting others heard it the other way round.

I suspect the differences in our playback systems and our individual frequency sensitivity can sometimes be greater than the difference in raw samples. Makes these sort of comparisons pretty meaningless if the majority of voters, for example, had a pretty steep HF roll off in their hearing or little bass on the playback system.

Piano #2 is definitely the brighter one.
I would buy Piano #1 and tweek up the EQ a shade , and have enough change left to go on holiday ;-D .

Brett

I don't see money as a factor in this "test." You could throw the Yamaha P-35 and the Kurzweil Forte into this mix and it'd still be a fair fight. A digital piano sound is a digital piano sound.

Perhaps not. Law of diminishing returns: Quality differences are not proportional to price differences (loosely speaking).

Yes, the PX-5S could still be the greatest bang-for-the-buck out there. Still, that doesn't make the comparison itself 'amazing', thats all.

- Guru
Originally Posted By: DanL

SSM

True enough, but the compare ends at the pianos... everything else is apples to oranges.

Don't know if you are including ep's in "pianos", but IMHO some of the downloadable ep's on the Casio are superior to the ones in the Nord.

SSM
While I understand that pianos and ep's are a matter of personal taste, IMO, the Nord EP's are superior to most other rompler EP's that I've had the pleasure of playing. The closest challenger IMO would be the Kronos. The outdated Yamaha EP's in my MOXF pale in comparison tbh. The yammie EP's sound OK in a mix, but play them on their own and their limitations become quite apparent.

I owned the PX-5s and was hoping the EP's would be in the ballpark (that's my bread and butter sound -- I don't like to use piano sounds live -- they generally suck). Unfortunately, the stock EP's were not serviceable.

While I also understand there are downloadable EP's and even though I have not personally played them they seem one dimensional to my ears. The Nord gives you 5 or 6 EP Rhodes samples and two Wurly samples. The detail in the Nord samples is astounding compared to the other romplers.

Caveat: I am not saying the PX-5S is not a great bang for the buck (it may or may not be depending on your situation and needs). I am simply comparing the sounds and samples.

aL
Dave Weiser did a set of 15 sounds under the banner of " Vintage Keys" for the PX-5S.

These are at least as good as, and in some cases better than anything by Nord. IMHO, of course. I am not anti-Nord, I love my Electro 4, but better is better.

There are also several other excellent ep's in Casio's collection written by members of the PX facebook page.

SSM
While I understand that pianos and ep's are a matter of personal taste, IMO, the Nord EP's are superior to most other rompler EP's that I've had the pleasure of playing.

The Nord gives you 5 or 6 EP Rhodes samples and two Wurly samples. The detail in the Nord samples is astounding compared to the other romplers.

aL

I have to agree with this statement on the EPs. I do not own a Privia, but have had some time to play it as well as the MOXF and feel that the raw Nord samples are high quality and very flexible. You can use the sample(s) that have the character you need and use the EQ and effects to get some stunning results.

I play only jazz, and prefer a clean sounding Rhodes sample. The PX-5S demos are mostly rock variations, making it difficult for me to evaluate the sound through the distortion and other effects. The store models don't have the downloaded patches, so I can't hear these in person.

The Nord samples (I use two different Rhodes samples) have great detail, key-off sounds and bark when you need them to. You can play them "dry" with just a little bit of reverb and compression and they sound like my old Rhodes Mark 1 Stage. I have not yet heard anything comparible from Casio, Yamaha or the others. Just my humble opinion.

I know this thread is about the AP comparison, so my apologies for the derailing. For the record, I voted for AP 2 in the comparison.
IMO, the Nord EP's are superior to most other rompler EP's that I've had the pleasure of playing. The closest challenger IMO would be the Kronos. The outdated Yamaha EP's in my MOXF pale in comparison tbh.

I see you also have the PC361. Where do you rank that (when triggered from one of your 88s, ideally)?

The MOXF at least has the ability to load in additional EP samples into flash, which is nice.

Korg SV1, Kawai MP7, and probably Yamaha CP4 are other boards with nice EP sounds which I would take over a Nord.
The outdated Yamaha EP's in my MOXF pale in comparison tbh. The yammie EP's sound OK in a mix, but play them on their own and their limitations become quite apparent.

Does this opinion include the CP1/5/4 Stage.
Originally Posted By: Scary Mike
[quote=Music*aL] The store models don't have the downloaded patches, so I can't hear these in person.

I agree that it is really difficult listening to the stock samples, and not being able to hear the other available sounds which are so much better.

If you do ever get the chance, give your ears a treat, and listen to Dave Weiser's Vintage Keys. i believe they are on soundcloud, but obviously this won't give you the full experience of hearing them from the board from a decent set of cans, or through a good P/A.

SSM
At first I thought this was a hoax (e.g., both the same piano with EQ and processing differences), but I selected #2. It sounds more alive, resonant, and organically "piano."
For a different listening perspective - Left and Right channels combined into MONO.

https://db.tt/Ddva1qN7
That mono comparison is very interesting through laptop speakers, will listen through something better soon.
This forum's own kanker wrote this in a Keyboard Magazine article in November 2012:

"
THE NORD SOLUTION

Instead of investing the significant time and expense it takes to create new mono piano libraries, Clavia created algorithms that correct the phase issues that mono summing created in their existing (and future) stereo piano samples. The Nord Stage EX, Electro 3, Nord Piano, and their descendants access this feature via pressing the Shift button and a button marked (conveniently enough) Mono. The result is simple, elegant, and great sounding."

The Nord Stage 2 sounds much better in Mono mode than just summed to mono IMHO.

I vote for #2
I would say it's a bit unfair to sum a Nord piano to mono and do a comparison with another brand, mainly because based on the previous post, earlier information and my own experience, summing the outputs to mono does not sound nearly as good as using the mono function built into the Nord keyboards - and I don't see why anyone (besides a less educated FOH technician...) would sum the outputs to mono when there is a built in mono mode that sounds so much better.

That being said - all Nord piano samples still don't sound too good with the mono mode engaged - actually only a few are free from phase issues, in my experience. The Romantic Upright in particular sounds just as good in mono as in stereo... but it has a strong character that's not for everyone and all types of music...
It's a less educated keyboardist, not FOH technician, who would at fault for summing a stereo signal to mono. If you have a mono FOH, it is your job to send an appropriate signal to the desk. It is not the FOH tech's job to set up your keyboard.

The first question I always ask at a new venue: is your FOH mono or stereo? Because it changes how I mic the Leslie, what cables I hook up to my other keys, and sometimes what patches I choose.
Originally Posted By: 16251
The outdated Yamaha EP's in my MOXF pale in comparison tbh. The yammie EP's sound OK in a mix, but play them on their own and their limitations become quite apparent.

Why would it? He's talking specifically about the MOXF which has totally different Rhodes and Wurli sounds than the CP1/5/4. idea

Why would it? He's talking specifically about the MOXF which has totally different Rhodes and Wurli sounds than the CP1/5/4. idea
Sorry for the stupid question frown
The second half of his comment could of included "all yammies," and I was just trying to clear that up.
Sorry for the stupid question frown
The second half of his comment could of included "all yammies," and I was just trying to clear that up.

I didn't think it was a stupid question, just that his comment seemed clear enough.

Anyway, EPs are OT...
Originally Posted By: WesG
It's a less educated keyboardist, not FOH technician, who would at fault for summing a stereo signal to mono. If you have a mono FOH, it is your job to send an appropriate signal to the desk. It is not the FOH tech's job to set up your keyboard.

I base this comment on what I've read here many times when the FOH actually is stereo and you give the technician a stereo feed, but he or she doesn't pan the two signals left and right.

Luckily I've never had this problem, AFAIK that is... smile and I do run actual mono if the PA is mono.

Anyway - the bottom line is I don't think the mono summing of a youtube audio stereo file is quite fair in this case, and I don't think it should be posted by a company representative - I know not everyone would agree, but that's my opinion.
I do not have any problems, whatsoever with the original video quiz. I think it's quite interesting actually. smile
Originally Posted By: Tobbe
I think it's quite interesting actually. smile

It's interesting, but the OP has just one post. I thought it could be a hoax too.

So, in that light, which one is the Virus TI2. laugh

Sorry. CEB made me ask. facepalm

Originally Posted By: AnotherScott
IMO, the Nord EP's are superior to most other rompler EP's that I've had the pleasure of playing. The closest challenger IMO would be the Kronos. The outdated Yamaha EP's in my MOXF pale in comparison tbh.

I see you also have the PC361. Where do you rank that (when triggered from one of your 88s, ideally)?

The MOXF at least has the ability to load in additional EP samples into flash, which is nice.

Korg SV1, Kawai MP7, and probably Yamaha CP4 are other boards with nice EP sounds which I would take over a Nord.

The PC3 EP's seem a bit quirky to my ears. They suffer from obvious velocity switching and the samples don't seem as authentic or as detailed compared to the Nords. As for the MOXF, I've loaded the Chick Corea Rhodes and while it is nice, it's pretty much a niche sound.

No. I haven't played any of the recent CP offerings. Come to think of it I played the CP50 a long time ago and don't remember a thing about it really.

aL
As for the MOXF, I've loaded the Chick Corea Rhodes and while it is nice, it's pretty much a niche sound.

The Rhodes from Gospel Musicians seem to get some good reviews.
As for the MOXF, I've loaded the Chick Corea Rhodes and while it is nice, it's pretty much a niche sound.

The Rhodes from Gospel Musicians seem to get some good reviews.

Interesting you mention them. I've been looking to get some more Rhodes flavors in my set up, and was looking at their stuff. These guys sure can play that neo soul stuff.
Originally Posted By: Tobbe
I would say it's a bit unfair to sum a Nord piano to mono and do a comparison with another brand, mainly because based on the previous post, earlier information and my own experience, summing the outputs to mono does not sound nearly as good as using the mono function built into the Nord keyboards

I thought the comparison was interesting, from an academic perspective, but really, it's probably not fair to either board, in that it presumably doesn't show either at its mono-best. Okay, the Nord summed-stereo sample may not exhibit the benefit of its mono mode, but similarly, the Casio summed-stereo sample may not be demonstrating what you would get from one of the mono presets in the Casio. If you need mono, both boards provide a preferred way to get it, that does not involve taking a stereo out and summing it.
This is starting to get old. Looks like this thread has run its course and we're sinking into minutiae. I'd hate to think we've been fished in by pot stirring. Sure,many of us can tell which is which and I immediately knew which I preferred based on the given examples,but... Come on Klavishko,spill the beans.
I think it's safe to say #2 clobbered #1.

SPOILER BELOW:

Piano #1 is Casio
Piano #2 is Nord
damn it......I guess faced with the brutal truth of it all, I'll have to sell my Casio, or just pull over and leave it on the side of the road, since it's a POS apparently......
or not. I'd do that, but I'm simply having too much fun playing it. It sounds great to these "uncultured" ears!
I preferred No. 2 but just ordered No. 1 for gigging. Choosing a keyboard is all about balancing so many factors...
I'll just say IMHO, the downloadable Wurly sounds from the Casio are much better than the ones I found on Nord's downloadable site. Some people like the Wurly souns on the Nord but I really don't.

I like the Rhodes sounds on Nord, but they don't blow me away. In fact I've of come across a few that are downloadable from Casio that are nice. Some are quirky and some needed to be played in for a good sound. I don't always have the option of playing in stereo.

The higher register of the Nord's AP can be irritating. Too tinny, although the Bright Grand cuts through the mix. The Black Upright can sound great played in stereo, if soloing isn't required.
Originally Posted By: area51recording
damn it......I guess faced with the brutal truth of it all, I'll have to sell my Casio, or just pull over and leave it on the side of the road, since it's a POS apparently......

I don't think anyone is suggesting that.

The OP challenged us to assess two recordings, that's all.
This is a blind comparison. We don't know which is which and it is a comparison of one patch against another. If one is too brite load a darker piano. What the heck.
Nice. I actually guessed which was which correctly and from the get go preferred the sound of the one I happen to own. It could just as easily have turned out the opposite. Don't really care who clobbered who in this very small poll but I do appreciate the spoiler that confirmed what my ears told me. Thanks D.

Actually,I wouldn't kick either of these instruments off the stage.

Sarcasm doesn't really translate in print, does it?

grin

Usually it does, however in this particular case I detected an element of self-doubt, so felt the need to reassure you.

/s
Thanks! I have PLENTY of self doubt, trust me, it just doesn't extend to my choice of a keyboard! I DO appreciate it however....
I made a choice as to the piano that offended me least, then I've been reading all these responses. I also bought a new DP this year. I'd have to say that audio samples don't reveal enough when making a purchase. IMO, you have to play it and hear it through headphones and through amps and see if it speaks to your ideal.

I also notice from this site that the type of music you play directly affects the sound you like and I guess the functionality, size and feel also have to be added when deciding on a purchase.
If the OP ever reappears, I'd be curious to know which piano sample was loaded into the Nord. Or maybe someone here is familiar enough with the Nord pianos to be able to recognize it?
I'd be curious to know which piano sample was loaded into the Nord.

According to the Youtube video description:

Quote:
P.S. I'm used miidle size piano sample (Imperial Grand) with Nord.
If the OP ever reappears, I'd be curious to know which piano sample was loaded into the Nord. Or maybe someone here is familiar enough with the Nord pianos to be able to recognize it?
I'd like to see a thread and have Nord users identify what Nord sample they're listening to. I might be able to tell that they're different but to say "oh that was the Fazoli...," would seem to be difficult.
I'd like to see a thread and have Nord users identify what Nord sample they're listening to. I might be able to tell that they're different but to say "oh that was the Fazoli...," would seem to be difficult.

What would be the point of this?

What would be the point of this?
I'd like to know. You know I don't connect with Nord, so when I had one I tried every piano and couldn't really tell the difference between samples, yet Nord videos would say things like "listen to the might sound of this Fazoli,etc."

I respect people who love the AP's on the Nord, but I struggle with these "love-in" threads about new sounds. You could probably just take any upright sound and lower the highs and it's now a mellow piano.

So, I thought it would fun to see how many Nord users can differentiate between the samples.
So, I thought it would fun to see how many Nord users can differentiate between the samples.

It's an interesting question. I seriously doubt I could reliably tell which one was which, but I can categorize them into ones I like and ones I don't, at least when I'm playing them. I was not a big fan of any of the Nord grand pianos until they came out with the Grand Imperial sample.
I respect people who love the AP's on the Nord, but I struggle with these "love-in" threads about new sounds. You could probably just take any upright sound and lower the highs and it's now a mellow piano.

It seems like you're too caught up in the brands. idk

I think each of the Nord pianos (grand and upright) have characteristics that differentiate themselves from one another. They may not be apparent on first listen -- they may not even be readily identifiable as a specific brand characteristic -- but they don't all sound the same.

Ultimately, the goal is a convincing and highly playable piano sample, right? The Mellow Piano is all about vibe, not brand name. idea
I believe if you play any one of the Nord samples for long enough you will be be able to pick out tonal characteristics that are unique.

The 'Black Upright' is my go-to acoustic piano, and I'm pretty confident I could pick it out in a run-off against the other Nord upright or grand samples.

As for this:

I struggle with these "love-in" threads about new sounds.

No one is forcing you to read them...

Cheers,
James
x
Well, I am fortunate to have both a PX-5S and a Nord Electro 4 73 that can play the same pianos the Stage can. I sort of view the PX-5S piano as one more sampled piano in the arsenal...and it is a very good one IMO. What I particularly enjoy, though, is using the PX-5S keyboard to play the Nord pianos. I don't know if it is the weighted action, the triple sensor keys or the high res MIDI from the PX-5S that makes a difference...or maybe it's just my imagination, but the Nord sound much better this way than it does using the waterfall keyboard on my NE4. Anyone else notice this?
I agree, the Nord pianos play poorly from Nord's SW actions, and play very nicely from a Casio PX350 or PX5S. Plus the PX5S gives you better ways to call up Nord presets than you get on the Nord itself!
Hi Guy's,
How can you compare two pianos with such differing prices? In the U.K. a Casio PX5-S would cost me 700, but a Nord Stage 2 would cost me three times the price plus an extra 200 (2,300 in total). Surely this would be like a Car magazine doing a road test comparison between a Fiat 500 and an Audi S5.
One thing I have noticed is that opinions are divided as to which is the better sounding piano.
Chris
The comparison I believe is valid because these are the two stage pianos most preferred by US soccer moms.
© Music Player Network