Next Thread
Print Thread
P
petros Offline OP
Gold Member
OP Offline
Gold Member
P
I am just curious if in general 10" speakers tend to be "smoother" sounding and have more detail than 12" speakers, putting all other factors aside.

All other things being equal (materials) they
can move faster and track transients better
but since they lack the surface area of a 12"
move less air - which is why they get coupled
in arrays (2x10 4x10 etc so often)
They also exhibit less "beaming" than a 12"
(directional projection or narrowing of
the sweet spot) since this is a function of
wavelength vs, diameter of the cone...One
of the reasons the higher the freq a speaker
works for, the narrower the driving surface.
(tweeters being 1 inch or so and woofers
starting at 6 inches on out to 18' in general.

"Smoother"? Many factors can effect perceived
freq response but for my money it is the
"beaming" thing \:D

if it ain't broke don't fix it...
unless you need the overtime.
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
You don't state usage. But for bass and guitar, I like 10s a lot. In the 70s I used to work for a sound company that handled Gauss speakers, and we loaded an SVT cab with Gauss 10s... the PA version, not the guitar speaker. Made it heavier than a block of lead, but the sound was wonderful. The bass players that I enjoy most seem to always be carrying at least two 10s in their rigs... I don't know why it works out that way, but it does.

As a guitar player, I've always been partial to the sound of 10s, and I have a Fender Vibrolux (2x10), a Super Reverb(4x10), a small Roland single 10, and a Marshall 2x10 tube amp, all of which sound good to me.

You are in a subjective area, but I'll say that I like the sound of 10 inch speakers over 12s in certain situations. In PA or monitoring, the design of the rigs should render the components 'invisible', and one would hope that a good system design would account for the peculiarities in any given component.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

The material is notable . . . traditional guitar cones are made from cellulose (paper!), so the larger they are the more they 'flap' around ~ the driver is connected at the center, which moves more or less as it is excited by the amp, while the outer fringe is more sluggish. I like celestion blue 12 inch speakers, where the driver is oversized to 'compensate' a bit for the size of the cone, and the whole assembly adds its own distinct mix/reproduction of harmonics, etc.

That's also why subwoofers tend to be a stiffer material ~ less flap from an aluminum cone than a paper cone. Monitors aim for a light but stiff cone ~ sometimes contradictory requirements, especially at high SPLs!

Moderated by  gm 

Link Copied to Clipboard