Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Quote:
Originally posted by studiojimi:
you missed a nice breakfast.....

too bad all you get in all forums is crow to eat.
i dont eat in the forums. maybe you should start doing that and lose that extra couple of people you are carrying. although you probably should of skipped the breakfast.

alphajerk
FATcompilation
"if god is truly just, i tremble for the fate of my country" -thomas jefferson
S
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
S
For whatever reason or reasons he's leaving, GM will be missed by all. This really is a terrible loss to everyone. They should pay the man to be here, he's worth it. \:\)

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
You know, I love all you guys, but sometimes you act like children!

If you would stop the ping-pong match insults, this forum would become so much more vibrant.
This is something kids do at recess.

George wants to teach and have people learn. What I think he has tired of, and we are implementing security measures to curtail, is babysitting!

DJ

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
BTW: I know some of you are just funnin' with one another. As long as you let the rest of the world know that ... it is ok.
The hurtful, and non-purposeful touting and challenging is where we are going to draw the line.

DJ

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Quote:
Originally posted by djarrett:

If you would stop the ping-pong match insults, this forum would become so much more vibrant.
Agreed.

The solution? One word.

"Delete"

If someone makes a rude and untoward comment that is not applicable in any way to education or audio or on topic, simply get rid of it. It seems the ratio of insults to info has gone up drastically over the years. Either the participants restrain themselves or anarchy will rule. I believe that (and George's departure) are why the number of meaningful posts are dwindling.

Lynn Fuston
3D Audio Inc
Home of 3dB
P
Gold Member
Gold Member
P
Quote:
Originally posted by 3D Audio:
Quote:

Agreed.

The solution? One word.

"Delete"

If someone makes a rude and untoward comment that is not applicable in any way to education or audio or on topic, simply get rid of it. It seems the ratio of insults to info has gone up drastically over the years. Either the participants restrain themselves or anarchy will rule. I believe that (and George's departure) are why the number of meaningful posts are dwindling.
Lynn,

I would assume that the problem with your thought is that it would require an administrator monitoring all of the threads all of the time, and while you would know much more about newsgroup admin than I would (since you host one), isn't that a big task?

I think that what Dendy is hinting at is that it is somewhat up to each of us to monitor our own remarks towards each other. Even the last page or so of this thread has basically been a ping-pong game of insults hurled between a few of the posters. With such activities going on constantly, it makes visiting a newsgroup much less enjoyable for the members and I would assume makes it that much harder for the admins to keep track of.

My vote overall would be to, as earlier discussed, charge a yearly fee for participation and allow no anonymity, thus making everyone a little more responsible for keeping the content on topic.

pOPStAR

L
Gold Member
Gold Member
L
Quote:

George wants to teach and have people learn. What I think he has tired of, and we are implementing security measures to curtail, is babysitting!

DJ
:) \:\) \:\)

Chris R. Gibson
aka Loopy C
Micworks
Ken Tamplin Mastering
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Lynn Fuston
3D Audio Inc
Home of 3dB
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Lynn,
Aren't you doing the same thing you are calling out others for? You have just added another post...

The topic of this thread is clear. This thread is about the fallout in the forum that has occured. You may feel that the back and forths are off topic, but that is only your perspective.

Best regards,
George Toledo

Want mix/tracking feedback? Checkout "The Fade"-
http://www.grand-designs.cc/mmforum/index.php

The soon-to-be home of the "12 Bar-Blues Project"
P
P
Yes, I know what I'm doing is just as bad in some ways... but I'd prefer that this forum not be recpitted. Personally, I'd prefer if the characters from Recpit stay there and enjoy the freeform entertainment they get over there.

Please, let's keep this forum about audio. Thank you.

-------------------

New Particle Salad CD released: "The Track Inside"

More info at http://www.particlesalad.com
10k Club
10k Club
Yeah, what Lynn said. As a long time system administrator and/or moderator I've had similar experiences to his and started exercising similar tactics. It does work. Dendy and I have both offered to do this for GM if he so desires, too. I've always been extremely permissive with forums and mailing lists that I've moderated, but as soon as outright personal attacks start, they're gone, and everybody is the better for it.

MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Lee, you can edit my post any time.

...sorry.

\:D

So Many Drummers. So Little Time...
P
Gold Member
Gold Member
P
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Flier:
Yeah, what Lynn said. As a long time system administrator and/or moderator I've had similar experiences to his and started exercising similar tactics. It does work. Dendy and I have both offered to do this for GM if he so desires, too. I've always been extremely permissive with forums and mailing lists that I've moderated, but as soon as outright personal attacks start, they're gone, and everybody is the better for it.
Lynn and Lee,

Yes, ok...that all makes sense. I have never moderated or hosted a forum, and from your explanation(s), it seems as though closely-monitored administration may, in fact, lead to much less of the schoolyard posturing and much more of shared audio knowledge. I defer to your experience in the matter...

pOPStar

I
I
I agree with Lee here.

Mixerman is doing that at PSW now, and it works great.
As soon as an attack is personal, it's deleted with a message like "content edited by Mixerman"
You get banned if you are obviously doing it again and again disregarding his warnings.

you know ? mixerman forum ? hell ? ... \:D

E
E
Yes, paying for something that has value - now THAT has to mean something in the music industry! All for it. If the "newbies" can't figure the worth, make it so they can "part time trial" it. Hey, seems to work for the #1 industry the Internet is used for...
Anyways, I am all for a pay for quality model. Plus am also for a "get an ID through a credit card" model. Was what we discovered back at AT&T in the early 90's would be the best way to do online business while keeping things accountable. No one messes around when you have their credit card numbers! Even at $1.00 a year!

D
DAS Offline
D
I wholeheartedly agree with Lynn. Of course it would be great if all of us didn't respond to inane posts, but human nature gets the best of us at times.

Charging a fee won't stop anything. People will pay for their 15 minutes of fame.

I think Lynn is right. We've proven that we need help here. In an ideal world and forum, self policing would occur and all would be well.

Once the line is drawn and held, I'd bet some of these trolls will move on.

DAS
A lot of good and wonderful ideas...almost all of them.

Unfortunately at this time it is rather like describing the 2006 presidency...all speculation.

I know that everyone would love to see this forum grow and prosper, but it is in the hands of UEM.

For them it's probably about numbers....something Mixermans forum has an abundance of compared to here, and before you go all postal about that last statement please consider that for UEM it is probably purely a business decision, which will be unemotional and detached regardless of the pendulum swing...for or..against.

So before we set the admittance fee and dress code maybe we should check with the sponsors and see what the demographic is they are most concerned with, perhaps the life of the forum is more in the hands mob than we care to admit....or just go start an all-AE-non-anonymity-experienced-only-exclusive-club that seems to be the popular flavor among the elite here.

Internet Mime trapped in this screen.
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Speaking for the unruly mob, we need more bare breasts around here.

----------------------------
Phil Mann
http://www.wideblacksky.com
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Quote:
Originally posted by Gtoledo3:
Lynn,
Aren't you doing the same thing you are calling out others for? You have just added another post...

The topic of this thread is clear. This thread is about the fallout in the forum that has occured. You may feel that the back and forths are off topic, but that is only your perspective.
Yes, it is my perspective, based on historical perspective--7 years of hosting online forums.

And yes, it is pertinent to the topic of this thread because it directly relates to GM's leaving and the circumstances that lead to it.

Lynn Fuston
3D Audio Inc
Home of 3dB
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Quote:
You may feel that the back and forths are off topic, but that is only your perspective.

Best regards,
George Toledo
George,

I doubt there is any statement that I could make with which everyone here would agree.

Lynn Fuston
3D Audio Inc
Home of 3dB
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Quote:
Originally posted by I lurk:
I agree with Lee here.

As soon as an attack is personal, it's deleted with a message like "content edited by Mixerman"
You get banned if you are obviously doing it again and again disregarding his warnings.

I'll raise my hand as one whose posts have been deleted by Mixerman. This was during the "bass lite" discussions and I used the dreaded words "Pro Tools" once too often. He had a rule that you couldn't use those two words side by side together in a sentence and he deleted at least one or more of my posts.

Case in point. I haven't been back since.

Lynn Fuston
3D Audio Inc
Home of 3dB
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Good greif

Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in
K
Gold Member
Gold Member
K
Quote:
Originally posted by Norman Geinard Bates:
Good greif
And another reason is guys who can't spell...

KK Proffitt
Chief Audio Engineer, JamSync, Nashville
JamSync
D
DG Offline
D
Quote:
Originally posted by kk@jamsync.com:
Quote:
Good greif
Remember - i before e, except in Budweiser.

David Glasser
Airshow Mastering
Boulder, CO

http://www.airshowmastering.com
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Philter:
Speaking for the unruly mob, we need more bare breasts around here.
That's an offensive statement to women engineers and one more reason why I'm not shedding tears if this forum closes.
Men have breasts too.

I'll gladly take my shirt off and bare them when I am on the forums if it will quiet the unruly mob! :p

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Miro, I tried that but this damn fish keeps getting in the way...

Kris
My Band: http://www.fullblackout.com UPDATED!!! Fairly regularly these days...

http://www.logcabinmusic.com updated 11/9/04
S
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
S
Quote:
Miro, I tried that but this damn fish keeps getting in the way...
Photoshop!!!!

Yorik
Stone In A Pond

"Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time he will pick himself up and continue on."
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Quote:
Quote:
You may feel that the back and forths are off topic, but that is only your perspective.

Best regards,
George Toledo
George,

I doubt there is any statement that I could make with which everyone here would agree.
No harm meant Lynn.

Want mix/tracking feedback? Checkout "The Fade"-
http://www.grand-designs.cc/mmforum/index.php

The soon-to-be home of the "12 Bar-Blues Project"
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Quote:
Quote:
Good greif
But your assholious......that spell good enough? \:\)

Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in
M
M
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by I lurk:
I agree with Lee here.

I'll raise my hand as one whose posts have been deleted by Mixerman. This was during the "bass lite" discussions and I used the dreaded words "Pro Tools" once too often. He had a rule that you couldn't use those two words side by side together in a sentence and he deleted at least one or more of my posts.

Case in point. I haven't been back since.
I was wrong to do that. Lost my mind.

Live and learn.

Mixerman

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  gm 

Link Copied to Clipboard