Music Player Network
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
you know craig... it makes sense to me now. ESPECIALLY if that would bring back george.

how about we all buy a unit [or more] of GML product? i want some of his gear.

alphajerk
FATcompilation
"if god is truly just, i tremble for the fate of my country" -thomas jefferson
10k Club
10k Club
I'd pay $20 a year for access to the forums. Of course, I've been here for over a year, and I know what I'm paying for.

It seems to me that "pay-to-access" would discourage almost all new members from joining, because they wouldn't know what they were missing, so why would they join? And it would be unfortunate if new members didn't join. They would miss a lot of good free information that has made these forums (I ain't gonna write "fora") such a vital online resource.

That's why I suggest a "pay-to-post" format, so that teens, students, and those without extra spending money can still access the information here, albeit without posting privileges.

I'm just thinking out loud here...

BTW, I think it'd be great if GM kept this forum open. I read here all the time, but I almost never post here because I usually don't have much to contribute to these conversations that hasn't already been stated.

JDS Offline
George
When you came by Mississauga you were 10 minutes from me at "Metal Works Studios". I'm glad Les helped solve the sync problem you had.

I've been reading this forum nightly, because I go to sleep thinking about Neuman U87s responses, Pre-amps, near-field monitors, mixers, and excellence in music and art. :}

When I get up I think about Neuman U87s responses, Pre-amps, near-field monitors,... he he :}

I think I and many of us here are a "little bit" like you. :}

Thank you for so much learning and sharing, regardless if you leave or stay.

Musically Yours
John Ferreira
JDS Recording Studios
http://members.rogers.com/jdsstudios/

John F.
JDS Recording Studios
MLP Live Performing Software
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Geez ~~~ thought I would have a little fun...took our 8200 apart ..lying in pieces all over the floor.....with out this forum, for directions to re-assemble ???? One crossed wire and it's a Behringer for sure *******

Seriously George ^^^^^^^ thanks for all the personal knowledge , you were so kind to share >>> into the art we all love so much !!!!

cjogo

Gold Member
Gold Member
Quote:
Originally posted by JDS:
George
When you came by Mississauga you were 10 minutes from me at "Metal Works Studios". http://members.rogers.com/jdsstudios/
Yeah! T dot in the house! ;\)

E
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
E
If George would go out of this forum, i would close it, because this forum, without gm has no sense.

\:\) Features Are Not An Opinion. \:\)
(John Hope, 2003)
http://johnhope.blogspot.com/

Addresse:
UIPLPPICDSS
Ufficio Internazionale Per La Presa Per Il Culo Dei Sbruffoni Statunitensi
Att. Tua Sorella
Codice Mavapigliatelindomo
Pirla Chi Legge
F
F
Quote:
That's why I suggest a "pay-to-post" format, so that teens, students, and those without extra spending money can still access the information here, albeit without posting privileges.
That might work. That way everyone can try the forum and if they want to ask a question they have to pay.

F
F
And many thanks to George for his patience and wisdom.

I am afraid he isn't coming back and I can't say I blame him.

JDS Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by The T Dot:
Quote:
George
When you came by Mississauga you were 10 minutes from me at "Metal Works Studios". http://members.rogers.com/jdsstudios/
Yeah! T dot in the house! ;\)
T Dot
Are you familiar with Metal Works Studios? [part of the band Triumph owns it]

John F.
JDS Recording Studios
MLP Live Performing Software
N
N
Quote:
Originally posted by Anderton:
... although I know almost everyone disagrees so don't bother telling me I'll all wrong. I've heard it before and your opinions are duly noted.
Hey Boss,

1. I disagree that almost everyone disagrees. This surfaced 18 months ago, and I asked then: Where do I send my check?

2. For the uninitiated, have a 15 or 21 day trial period. Figure out a way to restrict people from renewing every 15 or 21 days as a new user. Myself for example, can access the forums from as many as 10-15 different computers - from the cozy confines of my house. 10-15 different IP addresses, 10-15 different cities.

3. If not, have a tiered system. Keep stuff as it is, let it remain free, but pack some more goodies in the site (not avatars!) and make said goodies available for paying subscribers. Offer more content, or a tiered system to those that pay. People that don't subscribe would not lose anything, because the site(s) would not change much from what it is today.

I for one would love an option where I can automatically ignore posts totally from specific users. I'm getting old, and there are too many forumites (new, used and old \:\) ) whose posts don't add anything meaninful to my experience here.

Maybe make it $30/ yr and bundle one of the magazines for said duration. Or better yet, allow subscribers to make pre-arranged switches during the year for mag subscriptions. (Please implement this on the magazine side anyways!!Me personally, I REALLY don't need EQ mag every month, and I can't afford to have 4 x magazines adding to the clutter.

Maybe allow (for said annual fee), access to archived magazines, articles, etc.

Maybe allow paying people a limited volume of web space to post pics (versus links)

...Now to figure out what to offer that would entice the tight fisted amongst us to loosen their purse strings.

NYC Drew

ps -One thing I do know, the REALLY SERIOUS people around here, those that want to further their craft, to facilitate a free exchange of ideas, etc etc...those people are more than willing to state who they are.

People like

Craig Anderton (he's not just a moderator, he's also a forumite!)

Dave Bryce, GM, and all of the other moderators.

Lee Flier. Phil O'Keefe. Paul Frindle. Kris. Nika (where is he anyways? Making more babies???).

George has repeatedly asked for full disclosure, and it does make sense. Saying who we are keeps things in check, it keeps us, to some degree, honest, and restrains the dialogue often times from veturing into hyperbole-land.

My identity is determinable through these forums. So far, I've had ZERO crank calls on my phones (mobile or office), little or no spam as a result of these forums, and nodody's tried to steal my stuff as a result of me being on the forums.

Conversely, I've never tried to contact Brittanylips, nor Threshold nor any of the other cats that work with contemporary pop/urban artistes. My assumption is that most forumites are not into harrassing other forumites.

I'm outta steam, and duty calls...

NYC Drew

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The only reason I've kept a subscription to EQ is out of guilt over my perceived value of these forums, which are a million times more valuable to me than the mag... I'm with Drew... I've got no room for the mags... let me send my money straight to the source!!!

Kris
My Band: http://www.fullblackout.com UPDATED!!! Fairly regularly these days...

http://www.logcabinmusic.com updated 11/9/04
Its a sad day indeed
The end of an era

Be a professional musician.
Or just sound like one!
Produce music with THOUSANDS of loops and effects.
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club
Quote:
Originally posted by Anderton:

I realize the following is an unpopular opinion, but I stand by it: Many people don't appreciate what they get for free. If you feel you haven't gotten $20/year worth of advice or useful interaction from these forums, then why are you wasting your time here anyway?

I think paying for forums would do two things:

1. Reward moderators for the effort they put into this.
2. Keep out trolls and people who don't appreciate what they'd be getting for $20/yr.

Please note this is NOT a trial balloon. Even the people paying the freight for the boards think they should be free. But at one point SSS was pay as you go, and it worked VERY well. In fact, things started to unravel only when AOL went for the flat-fee pricing model.

Something to think about, although I know almost everyone disagrees so don't bother telling me I'll all wrong. I've heard it before and your opinions are duly noted.
Craig...I've always said that it should be free.

But...I don't want you to think that paying $20/year is a big financial issue either.

I only know that it's been tried on other forums...and about 80% of the membership bailed...because there are now MANY other free forums that they could go to…which may not have been the case in your SSS days.

Maybe that would not happen here...but if it does...then what do you do?

Also...the $20/year...is not going to "keep the riff raff out"...it just might prevent someone form registering multiple times just to be a nuisance...but I think most people here can easily throw down $20/year with too much problem…if they don't go elsewhere where it's free.

So...if $20/year is what you need to pay GM and other Moderators...then it might be worth it...IF...it doesn't chase away the majority of the current membership...and then you are left with only a small..."clique" atmosphere.
That is really my main objection…not to turn this too much into a “private club'.

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."
P
P
Quote:
Originally posted by miroslav:
Are you saying that the riff raff has no money to also join a pay-per-post forum? ;\)
I think it WOULD work. The people who hang out at Mixerman's forum wouldn't pay for the proviledge, for example... not that there's anything particularly wrong with them (it seems like they are a close knit community that enjoys each other), but the conversation rarely strays into audio.

On the other hand, a forum that maybe required a $15/year contribution would be awesome... posts could be more closely moderated, though I doubt it would be necessary. Only those serious about audio would pay. I think it's a GREAT solution...

Many of you don't remember the late Gabe's mailing list, but something like that online would be great... and paying for the privelidge might be the only way to make sure it stays on topic.

-------------------

New Particle Salad CD released: "The Track Inside"

More info at http://www.particlesalad.com
F
F
Quote:
Also...the $20/year...is not going to "keep the riff raff out"...it just might prevent someone form registering multiple times just to be a nuisance...but I think most people here can easily throw down $20/year with too much problemÖif they donít go elsewhere where itís free.
True but in paying they will have to give up their identity details, which might make them think before they post since they won't easily be able to re-register under a different name.

I tend not to like the pay-per-question(post) format only because many great threads have been started by people thinking out loud ( "casual posting" - for the lack of a better word). But I like the idea of a mental midget posting something ridiculous that cost him 5 bucks to do!

Hey if an idiot wants to waste his money being stupid it would make me laugh and the moderator would at least get paid. In this situation I really think paying WILL help mitigate the frequency of ass clown posters.

F
F
Quote:
I tend not to like the pay-per-question(post) format only because many great threads have been started by people thinking out loud ( "casual posting" - for the lack of a better word). But I like the idea of a mental midget posting something ridiculous that cost him 5 bucks to do!
If the forum is free to lurk but you have to subscribe to post, then if you want to ask a question (or just participate) you have to subscribe.

I don't like the idea of pay-per-post.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
George,

Thank you very much for all the time and effort you have spent here.

Given your vast experience and knowledge, and your willingness to share it with the group, I'll miss your forum tremendously.

Too bad there isn't a way for forum participants to bump troll posts all the way to the bottom... but like hillbilly inlaws, they'd probably keep resurfacing anyway, at the most inopportune times...

Thanks again for your generous participation. I learned a lot from you.

Phil

I agree that subscription is the way to go. All I was saying is the idea of someone paying to post something retarded is just a funny thing. If nothing else it would be comic relief. But yes, subscription gets my vote. I wonder what the going rate would be? I feel 5 bucks a month to be more than worth it.

F
F
Quote:
All I was saying is the idea of someone paying to post something retarded is just a funny thing.
;)

Popstar's stalker would have needed deep pockets. \:D

FWIW I like the annual subscription idea. Don't think it'll put off the tr***s though, but the cash could be used to hire some kind of secretary to delete non-audio detritus.

Cheers,
Justin

10k Club
10k Club
Hey, I never suggested "pay-PER-post"!!! That would be ridiculous.

What I suggested was "pay-TO-post," where you'd either have posting privileges, or not, depending on whether you paid for such privilege.

Gold Member
Gold Member
Quote:
T Dot
Are you familiar with Metal Works Studios? [part of the band Triumph owns it]
Yes I am familiar with Metal Works, though I've never recorded or had anything mastered there. I'm assuming you're one of the engineers?

Very nice studio.

L
Gold Member
Gold Member
L
Let me join in the sentiment of thanking George for his contribution to the betterment of the craft through this forum and his other endeavors and of course supporting any decision he makes. I too would hope you reconsider George, I am afraid I also was absent to whatever events have led up to this so I can only hope it is a situation with an option to resolve without closing this great forum. Either way, thank you for all your time and efforts here and the best of life to you.

Chris R. Gibson
aka Loopy C
Micworks
Ken Tamplin Mastering
S
S
My other favorite forum, The Steel Guitar Forum, charges $5.00 a year, and your password has to be mailed to a physical address. There are no anomynous posters, and everything runs real smooth over there. There are some of the heaviest pro to beginers. Politics and religion are no-no's.

There are some occasional glitches, but all in all, a great place. Like this used to be....

E
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
E
The pay method is unuseful.
We all have enough money to pay 5$ and once we are here we will go on acting the same way, because if you have a bad personality, you won't change it just because you paid 5$

\:\) Features Are Not An Opinion. \:\)
(John Hope, 2003)
http://johnhope.blogspot.com/

Addresse:
UIPLPPICDSS
Ufficio Internazionale Per La Presa Per Il Culo Dei Sbruffoni Statunitensi
Att. Tua Sorella
Codice Mavapigliatelindomo
Pirla Chi Legge
S
S
I would thnk paying $5.00 by credit card or something would keep people from hiding behind their nickname and saying stupid things. And if anyone got out of hand, just cancel their account.

P
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
P
Jules was here.

Jules
Producer Julian Standen
London, UK,
Come hang here! http://www.gearslutz.com
Quote:
Originally posted by slantbar:
My other favorite forum, The Steel Guitar Forum, charges $5.00 a year, and your password has to be mailed to a physical address. There are no anomynous posters, and everything runs real smooth over there. There are some of the heaviest pro to beginers. Politics and religion are no-no's.

There are some occasional glitches, but all in all, a great place. Like this used to be....
Sounds like a good idea to me!

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Well... I can see why the pay per account idea makes sense, as you have a hard target for those who get out of hand. However I'm one of the unfortunates that are being "nickled and dimed" to death, and the thought of adding another entry to my budget, even a measly $5, does make me cringe. But to be sure it's merely psychological to me. On the other hand, even tho it's a low wall, it can keep a few decent people from here. I would prefer that an "enforcer" type moderator would be a better answer, but... eh, I suppose I just needed to air some thoughts and bump up the post count. ;\)

George, one more time, don't go, permanently. Many of us need you.

This keyboard solo has obviously been tampered with!
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  gm 

Link Copied to Clipboard