Music Player Network
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#499859 09/26/03 11:34 PM
Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member
Someone in a beta forum last week mentioned bugs in a "legacy" program. They called them "Legacy bugs."

That started me thinking.....

It seems I've run into a few "legacy bugs" in my time. You know, things that people have asked to be fixed for years, but the software authors never seem to get around to it. So now we know what to call them. They aren't just bugs, they're "legacy bugs." They've been around so long that they are accepted, almost like dysfunctional members of the family.

So, what are some of your favorite "legacy bugs?"

Lynn Fuston
3D Audio Inc
Home of 3dB
#499860 09/27/03 03:48 AM
L
L
A personal favorite of mine is the huge brain rattling BONNNGGG!!!! you sometimes get from ProTools when instanciating a plug-in, assigning a send, etc. It really clears out the cobwebs and makes you good to go for at least an hour or two, no matter how tired you are.

In addition to Legacy Bugs, there should be a category of Legacy Deficiencies for things that will never be implemented because the underlying guts of hardware/software are not up to it. In ProTools, for instance, that would include never being able to have automatic delay compensation, never being able to play back interleaved files, never being able to simultaneously be able to play back files with different bit rates, always taking a lengthy time to instanciate TDM changes, etc.

Lee Blaske

#499861 09/27/03 05:56 AM
L
Gold Member
Gold Member
L
Quote:
Originally posted by 3D Audio:
They've been around so long that they are accepted, almost like dysfunctional members of the family.
So accepted that now you have asked the question I can't think of a single one! I know I have several on the tip of my tongue...

Chris R. Gibson
aka Loopy C
Micworks
Ken Tamplin Mastering
#499862 09/27/03 06:27 AM
Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member
Well the worst example of a most requested, slowest arriving feature that I can think of was multi-level undo in PT. We finally got it a year or so ago, but it's been requested for what seems like decades. And even $200 pieces of software had it. But it took Digi a dozen years or so to finally get around to it.

Lynn Fuston
3D Audio Inc
Home of 3dB
#499863 09/27/03 06:46 AM
L
L
It has got to be tough to make those types of changes, considering how much is built on top of the infrastructure of old applications like ProTools that have been around for many years. It would probably be a lot like replacing the basement of the Empire State Building. You just know that if they could start with a fresh sheet of paper, Digidesign could build a TDM-like system that would blow away what they have. The problem, of course, is dragging along all the legacy hardware and software. It would be tough to get all those third party companies to start over from scratch, and the availability of lots of third party software is what sells the system.

I'm really quite impressed with what Apple has done, though. The transition to OSX's Core Audio and Core MIDI was slow and painful, and it's taken quite awhile for the pieces to fall into place. Now that they have, however, Apple is ready to rock. Hopefully, their ambitious plan will pay off in the long run.

Lee Blaske

#499864 09/27/03 07:10 AM
Bug with a tuxedo --> feature.

Watch the bug database just before every major release ... all the open bugs either get resolved, terminated without action or, ta-da, retargeted to the next release. A good dataminer should be able to sort the bugs by the number of target release changes. But time open is good enough to determine legacy status. Users can only play this game with open source... dunno of any proprietary software vendor that shares the real bug data without an NDA.

-- Gid
#499865 09/27/03 08:00 AM
10k Club
10k Club
Calibration markers on the meters in PT. There's little marks now, but no reference levels ( ie -5, etc.).

#499866 09/27/03 08:46 AM
Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Blaske:
You just know that if they could start with a fresh sheet of paper, Digidesign could build a TDM-like system that would blow away what they have. The problem, of course, is dragging along all the legacy hardware and software. It would be tough to get all those third party companies to start over from scratch, and the availability of lots of third party software is what sells the system.
You mean, like HD. All the plugins had to be rewritten for that. They didn't drag along much legacy hardware, but it took a while for the plug in authors to catch up. But they did it.

Except Lexicon with Lexiverb. But don't get me started.

Lynn Fuston
3D Audio Inc
Home of 3dB
#499867 09/28/03 04:26 PM
F
F
Quote:
Apparently Sonar 3 users will be getting a bundled Lexicon plug-in based on the 480. After the Lexiverb fiasco I'm going back to hardware reverbs.

How about http://www.legacybugs.com ?

My favourite legacy deficiency in Logic is the lack of solo buttons in the arrange page.

#499868 09/29/03 02:23 AM
L
L
Quote:
You mean, like HD. All the plugins had to be rewritten for that. They didn't drag along much legacy hardware, but it took a while for the plug in authors to catch up. But they did it.
A lot of old baggage was dragged along to HD. After all, sessions previously done on Mix and earlier systems are compatible. A significant part of the plug-in update to HD dealt with CP.

Lee Blaske

#499869 09/29/03 02:34 AM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Quote:
Someone in a beta forum last week mentioned bugs in a "legacy" program. They called them "Legacy bugs."

It seems I've run into a few "legacy bugs" in my time. You know, things that people have asked to be fixed for years, but the software authors never seem to get around to it. So now we know what to call them. They aren't just bugs, they're "legacy bugs." They've been around so long that they are accepted, almost like dysfunctional members of the family.

Too damn funny Lynn - may I paste a link or copy this to the Nuendo forums? \:\)

Steve Powell - Bull Moon Digital
http://www.bullmoondigital.com
#499870 09/29/03 04:02 AM
K
Gold Member
Gold Member
K
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Blaske:
You just know that if they could start with a fresh sheet of paper, Digidesign could build a TDM-like system that would blow away what they have. The problem, of course, is dragging along all the legacy hardware and software. It would be tough to get all those third party companies to start over from scratch, and the availability of lots of third party software is what sells the system.

Lexicon turned coding over to Digi at least seven years ago...

KK Proffitt
Chief Audio Engineer, JamSync, Nashville
JamSync
#499871 09/29/03 06:38 AM
Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member
Quote:
Originally posted by = stevepow =:
Quote:

Too damn funny Lynn - may I paste a link or copy this to the Nuendo forums? \:\)
Go for it.

Lynn Fuston
3D Audio Inc
Home of 3dB

Moderated by  gm 

Link Copied to Clipboard