Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
P
popstar Offline OP
Gold Member
OP Offline
Gold Member
P
Our continuing educational series of the records and recording formats listed in Billboard Magazine's weekly "Production Charts".

Week ONE:
Hot 100: Enimem "Lose Yourself", recording format ProTools
R&B: Erykah Badu "Love of My Life", recording format ProTools
Country: George Strait "She'll Leave You..." recording format 3348
Mainstream Rock: 3 Doors Down "When I'm Gone", recording format ProTools
Dance: Madonna "Die Another Day", recording format 3348 and ProTools
Week TWO adds:
Country: Mark Wills "19 Something", recording format 3348 and ProTools
Rap: Missy Elliot "Work It", recording format ProTools
Week THREE adds:
R&B: Aaliyah "Miss You", recording format 2"
Week FOUR adds:
Hot 100: B2K & P.Diddy "Bump, Bump, Bump", recording format ProTools
Week FIVE adds:
Hot 100: J-Lo "All I Have", recording format ProTools
Week SIX adds:
R&B: 50 Cent "In Da Club", recording format ProTools
Dance/Club Play: Thunderpuss "Head". recording format, Digital Performer
Week SEVEN adds:
Country: Blake Shelton "The Baby", recording format ProTools
Week EIGHT and Week NINE:
No new projects added to the above list
Week TEN adds:
Week ELEVEN adds:
Week TWELVE adds:
Country: Joe Nichols "Brokenheartsville", recording format 3348/ProTools
Dance: Chris Cox "I Believe", recording format Digital Performer
Week THIRTEEN adds:
Country: Darryl Worley "Have You Forgotten?", recording format ProTools
Mainstream Rock: Godsmack "Straight Out of Line", recording format 2"
Week FOURTEEN adds:
Mainstream Rock: Linkin Park "Somewhere I Belong", recording format ProTools
Week FIFTEEN adds:
R&B: Jay-Z/Neptunes "Excuse Me Miss", recording format 2" and ProTools
Week SIXTEEN adds:
R&B: Sean Paul "Get Busy", recording format ProTools
Week SEVENTEEN adds:
R&B: 50 Cent "21 Questions", recording format ProTools (I'll assign this half credit, since it is from the same album as "In Da Club"
Week EIGHTEEN:
No new projects added this week.
Week NINETEEN adds:
AC: Christina Aguilera "Beautiful", recording format 2" and ProTools
Week TWENTY adds:
Country: Randy Travis "Three Wooden Crosses", recording format RADAR and ProTools
Mainstream Rock: Audioslave "Like a Stone", recording format 2"

To make it easier to draw conclusions about which formats are most often in use, we are assigning each recording format 2 points for each project (if two formats share the honors, they each get 1 point). Thus far this year, our #1 records across all formats rank this way:

29 points: Pro Tools
8 points: 2"
5 points: 3348
4 points: Digital Performer
3 points: Radar II
2 points: Nuendo

Carry on...
PopsTaR

I
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I
I'm surprised more people aren't using Nuendo. Maybe V2 might change that.

D
D
How accurate is this? I notice, for instance, that the Dixie Chicks single gets a point for Nuendo...the basic tracks were done to 2"...and I imagine that was the case for at least some of the Pro Tools tracks as well...

Interesting, though, in any case...

-Duardo

Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club
I think everyone has to agree...that 99% of the time...ANYONE just giving a single piece of gear the credit for their recording effort is:

A. Full of shit.

B. Misleading the public.

C. Sucking up to...someone???

D. All of the above.

I feel sorry for anyone that reads any of the “format used” comments…and assumes from them, that by using THAT same format, it will help them get a comparable sound...or Number 1 record.

There is just SOOOOOOOO much that goes into making a record, that offering up that teeny tiny bit of “information”…is really a disservice (except maybe to Avid/Digi).

It to would be like asking someone what went into building their house...
...and they replied..."wood".

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club
ooops...

V
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
V
Quote:
Originally posted by Imagine:
Maybe you were thinking of Nintendo? \:D

V
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
V
Quote:
Originally posted by miroslav:
I think everyone has to agree...that 99% of the time...ANYONE just giving a single piece of gear the credit for their recording effort
We're talking about tracking here.

I don't see Fostex on the list. \:D

P
popstar Offline OP
Gold Member
OP Offline
Gold Member
P
I find it interesting that 2" is currently in a solid second place. That's pretty cool.

In regards to accuracy, well, we have all discussed that there will certainly be inaccuracies. Agreed...there's no getting around that. My hope is that the inaccuracies will be spread out over formats and that after say, 6 months or a year, they would somewhat cancel each other out.

Miroslav, these are just the listings as Billboard presents them. Make of them what you will (or won't).

POpsTAr

Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club
Quote:
Originally posted by PeeTee:
quote:
I think everyone has to agree...that 99% of the time...ANYONE just giving a single piece of gear the credit for their recording effort
We're talking about tracking here.

But…owning it is one thing...
...using/renting/borrowing someone else’s...is another...right? :p

Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club
Quote:
Originally posted by popstar:

Miroslav, these are just the listings as Billboard presents them. Make of them what you will (or won't).
I know what to make of them...I've already stated it.

But here's the problem with these lists...

Pro Tools is NOT a format...it USES a particular format (similar to what many other DAWs do)...
…Pro Tools is a Brand Name of a product.
So...that is why I think it's silly for them to list that shit.

If they stuck to pure format listings...WITHOUT naming brands...then it might be a bit less suggestive.

So yeah...you can make what you will (or won't).
I think a lot of the newbies are seeing the words “Pro Tools”...and it automatically becomes an advertisement for Avid/Digi.

You don't see 2" “Otari” or “Studer”...etc…do you?

It’s just like listing Nuendo...that's bogus too...unless of course they list ALL the products and brand names that went into making a particular record.

So...just mentioning Pro Tools...and omitting the high-end Manley pres...or Summit compressors...or GML EQs...etc...
…that helped that Pro Tools rig yield those final results…
…is a disservice, and tends to bias the people toward a single product like Pro Tools, making them think that is theor only real requirement for “pro recording”...

…and then…they learn that it just ain't so Joe... :rolleyes:

Y
Gold Member
Gold Member
Y
Quote:

You don't see 2" “Otari” or “Studer”...etc…do you?

It’s just like listing Nuendo...that's bogus too...unless of course they list ALL the products and brand names that went into making a particular record.

So...just mentioning Pro Tools...and omitting the high-end Manley pres...or Summit compressors...or GML EQs...etc...
…that helped that Pro Tools rig yield those final results…
…is a disservice, and tends to bias the people toward a single product like Pro Tools, making them think that is theor only real requirement for “pro recording”...

…and then…they learn that it just ain't so Joe... :rolleyes:
Sure, it's not mentioned what converters were used. My friends last project was recorded on a Mackie MDR then transferred and mixed on Pro Tools. In which case it would likely get the nod of being a 'Pro Tools project'. Even though it's only partially true. In fact that's probably the way most of it is being done. Digital transfers happen all over the place from one machine into Pro Tools for mix. Nor is it mentioned if it's mixed with in Pro Tools or if the audio is bussed out to an analog console for mixing. It's true, Pro Tools is not a format. It's another program that manipulates PCM digital audio within a propietary file format that contains the rest of the mix information. In which case Billboard needs to rethink what thier basing this list upon. Digital formats are more like PCM 44.1/24 bit or DSD etc. Conversion and data manipulation are a different story.

I
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I
Quote:
Maybe you were thinking of Nintendo?
Perhaps PT had a head start with HD core and process cards, but with computers rapidly upgrading their processors, your investment won't be as lucrative as you first thought. I don't have any problems recording with DP or Nuendo. It's all a matter of preference. Hell, I'll even record with PT if I thought it would get the job done.

Maybe you should open your eyes and venture. You might be surprised what you find!

Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club
Quote:
Originally posted by Yuri T.:
It's true, Pro Tools is not a format. It's another program that manipulates PCM digital audio within a propietary file format that contains the rest of the mix information. In which case Billboard needs to rethink what their basing this list upon.
Thank you...my point exactly.

P
popstar Offline OP
Gold Member
OP Offline
Gold Member
P
Miro, I think you're going a bit overboard here. 2" tape was a format shared by many companies, and from that perspective, 2" could be considered a 'format'. When we moved into digital technologies, 'formats' like these, meaning formats shared by many companies, became hard to find. DA88 was shared by two companies...Tascam and Sony. ADAT's were Alesis only (or did someone else join in on this?). 3348 was Sony and Studer. Sure, you could get a couple of companies onboard, but getting many, as did 2" (Ampex, Otari, Sony, MCI, Studer, Stevens, Telefunken, etc) became much harder. Now that everyone's files are somewhat proprietary (Nuendo, ProTools, RADAR, Logic, etc) meaning that you wouldn't be able to use them in another format without converting, I think it's fair to say that RADAR is a 'format', Nuendo is a 'format', ProTools is a 'format', DP, Logic, etc.

The question of mic pre's, compressors, etc is not really necessary for this discussion, as you need them with any recording format. The question of convertors is also of only minor interest, as we engineers have tried to "hot rod" our setups as much as possible, no matter which format we're working on. I think your implication is that engineers are widely using external convertors for ProTools and NOT for the other systems like Nuendo, RADAR, etc., and I think you might be largely mistaken there. Any guy bringing his own Lucid convertor to the ProTools session is also most likely going to bring it to the Nuendo session as well.

pOpSTaR

Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club
Quote:
Now that everyone's files are somewhat proprietary (Nuendo, ProTools, RADAR, Logic, etc) meaning that you wouldn't be able to use them in another format without converting, I think it's fair to say that RADAR is a 'format', Nuendo is a 'format', ProTools is a 'format', DP, Logic, etc.
Ahhh..."somewhat proprietary"...?

To me...the "format" is…24/48 digital...or 24/96 digital...or 16/44.1 digital...etc…and maybe you can also specify direct-to-disk or digital tape.

Just like 24 tracks on 2" is a tape format...and 16 tracks on 1" is a tape format...and 16 tracks on 1/2" is a tape format.

Those are the formats.

Tracking to Pro Tools (or any other DAW)…through what…???
See…it will make a big difference how you answer that question.

Quote:
I think your implication is that engineers are widely using external converters for ProTools and NOT for the other systems like Nuendo, RADAR, etc., and I think you might be largely mistaken there. Any guy bringing his own Lucid converter to the ProTools session is also most likely going to bring it to the Nuendo session as well.
No...not my implication...I am agreeing that there are ALL KINDS of converters being used with any one of the DAWs you mentioned.

When you say "Pro Tools" or Nuendo is a format...but one guy used Lucid converters at 24/48...and another guy used Apogee at 24/96...and someone else another brand...etc...
...then the whole idea of just saying that album XYZ was done with “the Pro Tools format”…or…“the Radar format”…is very uninformative...and misleading…
…partially accurate, but totally useless information.

So I'm not going overboard...and I see no need to keep repeating all this...but there it is.

I'm not against having equipment credits...shit, I wish every album had a complete list of the whole recording chain that was used...for all cuts...
...HA!!!...that will be the day!!!

I'm just saying that Billboard really isn’t doing anyone…EXCEPT the specifically named companies…any good by listing that very teeny tiny bit of “brand name” information.

And when someone goes and tallies up the "numbers"...as you have done...
...it really paints a very skewed and incomplete picture.
I guess I'm not sure why it's necessary or valuable or productive to have this little bit of Bilboard misinformation?
I'm not sure what this (please don't take it personally) thread is intended for???

Is there really ANY valuable information that is gotten from this list?

I don't see it...

Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club
Oh Pee Tee...

I forgot to mention it before...

I really LOVE your new avatar!!!
Is that from a FOSTEX analog tape deck transport? ;\)

I just wish I could press your STOP button!!! :p

M
M
Quote:
t
I guess I'm not sure why it's necessary or valuable or productive to have this little bit of Bilboard misinformation?
I'm not sure what this (please don't take it personally) thread is intended for???
Is there really ANY valuable information that is gotten from this list?

I don't see it...
The thread is pretty much what it is Miroslav. If you have perused most of the threads on these 'music' forums, you know there is a lot more 'huh?' threads floating around here than this one. ;\)

I think any experienced engineer, producer, and musician knows there are other elements involved with making/producing the Billboard CDs.

I find it interesting to see what is supposedly used these days as a format. After reading all the threads by the 'internet experts' about how ProTools sounds drastically different than Nuendo, DP, Logic, etc. I don't think you can lump these all together as the same format. Or maybe the 'experts' are wrong?

Maybe you might feel that it would be better if Billboard said the format used was "mics and stuff".

Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club
Quote:
Originally posted by michael c:
I think any experienced engineer, producer, and musician knows there are other elements involved with making/producing the Billboard CDs....

...I don't think you can lump these all together as the same format...

...Maybe you might feel that it would be better if Billboard said the format used was "mics and stuff".
I agree that experienced people will take Billboard's "list of formats"...with a HUGE grain of salt.

You absolutely shouldn't lump all those "products" as the same format...
…because by themselves…they are not a "format"...just a product.

And, if Billboard HAD said "mics and stuff"...it would be of no less REAL value...then the "format" listings they are offering.
But...I really don't care about what Billboard want's to print...that's the same publication that tries to tell everyone what's Number 1 in music.

My real question centers around the initial thread post where this Billboard "information" was categorized as being part of an "educational" series...???

Now, I'm not at all trying to pick any bones with you popstar...I'm just trying to get an idea on how this "information" is in any way educational or valuable to me or you or anyone?
What is the purpose...what is the implication behind it by this Billboard...and also in this thread?

What I am getting, is that somehow very b-r-o-a-d credit is being given to the a few brands of product (not formats)...
…and that is very suggestive, in that it was specifically these products that made the record what it is...especially if Billboard also scores those particular records as Number 1 or Top 10...or whatever.

Now me...I can totally ignore the Billboard "format" list...what do I care...it will NOT impact on anything I do now or in the future.
But, in the interest of forum protocol...since I felt it was a curious item, I thought it good to engage in this discussion.

I'm really Not trying to flame anyone or mud-sling...

...well, maybe just a little ball-busting going out Pee Tee's way.
But...I think it was my turn anyway...he had the last shot...right Pee Tee? \:D

P
popstar Offline OP
Gold Member
OP Offline
Gold Member
P
Quote:
[QUOTE]My real question centers around the initial thread post where this Billboard "information" was categorized as being part of an "educational" series...???
Don't worry, Miro...I don't take any offense to your questions.

Still, even I find it interesting seeing the tally, and I've been in the business quite a time now myself, working at what I would consider a pretty "high" level of the industry. I find it interesting from the standpoint that, margin of error aside, it does give us some data on what formats (excuse the term) are being used on the #1 records. I, for instance, even find it very interesting when GM says that his current format of choice is such and such. I would find that interesting whether he posted it here on the forum, or whether I learned through the Billboard Production Charts that he had tracked such and such on some particular format. I'm interested in knowing how Rick Rubin worked on a particular project, or Gary Pazosa (sp), or Dr. Dre, or whomever. For me, it truly is educational.

I'd also be interested in this info if I were a young up and coming engineer trying to determine which format(s) I should learn. Now, before you jump on that statement, of course, NO format of any kind will EVER take the place of solid engineering skills. And knowing the generalities of our industry will never help you know all the specifics, but that doesn't mean the generalities are totally worthless info. If I were a young engineer, dedicated to learning solid engineering skills, I'd still be very interested in knowing which formats or brands were being used most often by the people making records appearing at the top of the charts.

I'd also be interested if I were just opening up a new studio facility. Should I buy a 2"? Should I stick with DAW's? If so, which one(s) are the most popular? In a year of Billboard data, Nuendo garnered this much support, while 2" garnered this much? Hmmm...that might be very interesting to the guy plotting his next studio.

Finally, as I have posted before, all over the Internet we have self proclaimed 'experts' on the subject of audio. Some of these people have true knowledge and credibility, and others are just full of hot air. The wildly varying opinions fly across the net with insults aplenty. I thought that there should be a place which simply reported the chart data from Billboard. I went into this knowing that a) the charts would be incorrect at times and b) that having the chart data wouldn't tell anyone the entire story. Still, as mentioned above, I believe that even the generalities are good info to offer. And if you'd rather debate the merits of each brand and format, just about every other thread on the internet is waiting for your discussion. No problem there.

So that's the purpose of the thread, simply to present the chart data and let others make of it what they will (or won't). Thankfully, while I never really cleared this project with GM, he has been tremendously gracious in allowing it to continue, and now that we're coming up on the first six month mark, perhaps the data is beginning to offer some interesting perspectives. (or then again, maybe not!).

POPSTar

R
R
hi popstar, i'm just gonna sit back and watch this one, as i really don't have the energy latley. i'll just keep score.

so far:

popstar 2 points
miroslav 2 points

BP3 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Quote:
Our continuing educational series of ...blah balh blah blah.................

29 points: Pro Tools
8 points: 2"
5 points: 3348
4 points: Digital Performer
3 points: Radar II
2 points: Nuendo

Carry on...
PopsTaR
Has PT made me one dollar - NO! PT has cost my clients dearly...

Have other mediums made me a living - yes!

Do I care about PT - not one fuckin' bit!

and I do carry on...........and on...and on.with a great future in DSD/SACD and great analog consoles (which are often used to make up for PT's lack of quality!

P
popstar Offline OP
Gold Member
OP Offline
Gold Member
P
Quote:
Originally posted by TinderArts:
[QUOTE]Has PT made me one dollar - NO! PT has cost my clients dearly...

Have other mediums made me a living - yes!

Do I care about PT - not one fuckin' bit!

and I do carry on...........and on...and on.with a great future in DSD/SACD and great analog consoles (which are often used to make up for PT's lack of quality!
Tinder Arts,

I salute you!

PopSTAr

Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club
Quote:
I'm interested in knowing how Rick Rubin worked on a particular project, or Gary Pazosa (sp), or Dr. Dre, or whomever. For me, it truly is educational.

...knowing the generalities of our industry will never help you know all the specifics, but that doesn't mean the generalities are totally worthless info. If I were a young engineer, dedicated to learning solid engineering skills, I'd still be very interested in knowing which formats or brands were being used most often by the people making records appearing at the top of the charts.

....I'd also be interested if I were just opening up a new studio facility. Should I buy a 2"? Should I stick with DAW's? If so, which one(s) are the most popular? In a year of Billboard data, Nuendo garnered this much support, while 2" garnered this much? Hmmm...that might be very interesting to the guy plotting his next studio.
And this is what I'm getting at...

Yeah, some generalities can be a little useful.
Such as..."How do you like your new car?"..."I love it."...
It says something...but without any real details or reasons why.

So, when your are interested about how "Rick Rubin worked on a particular project, or Gary Pazosa (sp), or Dr. Dre, or whomever"...

...then how educational is it for you (or anyone), that when asked about their projects, if all they said was…"my format was Pro Tools"...or "my format was 2"...???
Not very education at all (and I bet many of them only DO say that much \:D )...but that's what Billboard is doing, just giving a very small view of the big picture.

It's like looking through a peep hole...while your standing a foot away. You get some of the picture…but not the real picture.

Quote:
I thought that there should be a place which simply reported the chart data from Billboard.

...So that's the purpose of the thread, simply to present the chart data and let others make of it what they will (or won't].
That's fine...if you wanna' just keep posting Billboards numbers and lists. I just assumed that in posting them, you WERE consciously trying to initiate a little thinking and discussion about what they mean and what purpose they have...so that's why I'm posting in the thread…not to agitate you or anyone...(only Pee Tee just a little. :p ;\) )

Quote:
And if you'd rather debate the merits of each brand and format, just about every other thread on the internet is waiting for your discussion. No problem there.
No...not at all...there's plenty of that going around all over the forum.
I was not singling out any one brand...it's your tally (Billboard's list) that kinda' spotlights Pro Tools...but I wasn't trying to pick on that brand...rather only saying that it was a nice promo for Avid/Digi...seeing Pro Tolls mentioned so many times...and unfair NOT TO mention all the other gear that went into making any of the albums in their list.

V
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
V
Quote:
Oh Pee Tee...

I forgot to mention it before...

I really LOVE your new avatar!!!
Is that from a FOSTEX analog tape deck transport? ;\)
Guess again. :rolleyes:

V
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
V
Miroslav!

Dood....7 posts in one day on one thread?!!! I'd be scared to find out how many posts you had all day. Who knows if this is the only conference you post on!

Yeah...you had a "busy" day, eh? HAHAHA!! \:D \:D \:D \:D \:D \:D \:D :rolleyes:

P
popstar Offline OP
Gold Member
OP Offline
Gold Member
P
Quote:
[QUOTE]...then how educational is it for you (or anyone), that when asked about their projects, if all they said was…"my format was Pro Tools"...or "my format was 2"...???
Not very education at all (and I bet many of them only DO say that much \:D )...but that's what Billboard is doing, just giving a very small view of the big picture.

It's like looking through a peep hole...while your standing a foot away. You get some of the picture…but not the real picture.
Well, to me, the format of choice for the recording of a project is a very major part of the engineering decision. Sure, knowing that someone used 2", without knowing that they used BASF tape hitting at +15db and overbiasing the tape by 3db is similar to knowing that someone used RADAR, without knowing that they chose DB convertors all clocked to a Cranesong clock. It's not the entire picture.

Still, in lieu of the fine details, I'm thrilled to even know the most basic fact, did you use RADAR or 2"? After all, within each format, there are lots of ways to "tweak the system". Just as many for 2" and Nuendo and RADAR as there are for ProTools. But, Billboard only prints the general info, and if this info, in the absence of every contributory detail, is of no value to you, no problem.

The fact that GM was using ProTools HD for his recent acoustic outing is interesting in and of itself, regardless of the fact that he brought in (if I recall correctly) a room full of DB Tech convertors. The fact that he chose HD for his storage medium means something to me. If it has no value for you, no problem. I respect that.

pOPStaR

M
M
Quote:

I was not singling out any one brand...it's your tally (Billboard's list) that kinda' spotlights Pro Tools...but I wasn't trying to pick on that brand...rather only saying that it was a nice promo for Avid/Digi...seeing Pro Tolls mentioned so many times...and unfair NOT TO mention all the other gear that went into making any of the albums in their list.
Well I guess it seems Billboard is also unfair to mention/credit just the producer and NOT mention every musician who contributed to the album/CD, along with 2nd & 3rd engineers, and rental companies who provided outboard gear. Of course since this is a discussion on the internet we can't forget about limo drivers, hookers, sycophants, drug dealers......... ;\)

Billboard isn't an engineering mag..........

C
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
C
I'm appalled that Billboard doesn't list the manufacturer of the balanced/unbalanced cables the guitar techs used to wire the backline.

I mean, WTF???

ANYHOO...

Popstar,

I'm grateful for your taking the time to post these stats.

Perspective is a needed tonic in this unweildy branch of engineering.

Eric Vincent (ASCAP)
http://www.curvedominant.com
E
E
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Imagine:
Maybe you were thinking of Nintendo? \:D
:D \:D \:D \:D \:D

Don't laugh... the basic tracks for the new "Boomkat" record supposedly came from some virtual DJ videogame on the Playstation 2.

Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club
Quote:
Miroslav!

Dood....7 posts in one day on one thread?!!! I'd be scared to find out how many posts you had all day. Who knows if this is the only conference you post on!

Yeah...you had a "busy" day, eh? HAHAHA!!
Well...the fact that you actually went looking to see how many posts I made...tells me that your day was even busier than mine!!! :p

For me, yesterday was a rather light work day.

I was digitizing some video clips that I need in a streaming web format.
And also, I was getting ready for a global live webcast event...nothing much really...
...just setting up the media encoder boxes, resolving some networking issues, testing out the media servers and also coordinating with our global content delivery provider (Akamai) to make sure their end was ready to receive our streams.
As I've mentioned many times on these forums...my day gig revolves around multimedia/web work...but my side gig is my studio work. I go from 6:00AM to 11:00PM 5 days a week...and the weekends...well, I loose track of the time altogether.

So...I'm not just living out my audiovisual fantasy on these forums...like some are.
But Pee and Curve...feel free to sling-that-mud guys!

Other than that...I spent a little time writing 7 posts to this thread...that for some reason, some people...are stating to take in an extreme direction…???
I knew it was only going to be a short time before the other pee-nut that shares your shell, Pee Tee (DA CURVE)…jumped in with his very enlightening and intellectual comments.

NO...I don't care about the cable manufacturers or what gauge pick the guitar player used when he did the lead...
...some of you guys just like to avoid the specific point/issue... :rolleyes:

BUT...I agree with you popstar...it is nice to even only know if Pro Tools or Nuendo or 2"...was used...
...however, that information really only has REAL relevance when you discuss the other major equipment that went into give a particle record its sound.

So...for all of you "engineers"...I think you will agree that the real pros can include or excluded just one piece of gear in the signal chain…or apply one "studio trick" to a session...and the difference in final product…CAN BE DRAMATIC.

And...for the hard-of-hearing...or I should say….for those who have a difficult time comprehending the written word...
...just saying…”Pro Tools, Nuendo, 2-inch"...etc...
...without any other information...
...should not be described as "the format used"...
...but Billboard will do what Billboard will do.

And of course...for those of you that have particular favorites...I'm sure that tallying up the numbers allows you to feel good about yourselves...IF...your product brand name has the most mentions.
Boy...I bet some of you guys probably believe every word that you read in manufactures adds and brochures also? \:\(

OK...unless this thread begins to consider the issue of "gear brand name dropping in order to promote an album”...or vice versa…...
...as a viable topic for discussion...
...then there really isn’t anything more here.

Cuz' I can see that a few just want to skew the discussion into some....
…"I'm using the same brand, just like the albums on Billboard are"....pissing contest.
So…Pee...Curve...the thread is yours...take out your rulers....drop your pants...and start measuring! :p

I have to go finish up my webcast system checks…but don’t worry…I’ll find the time to check in and do a few more posts if needed sometime later today.
Heck...I wouldn’t want you guys to go through withdrawals. \:D

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  gm 

Link Copied to Clipboard