Music Player Network
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
OP Offline
A
I have experience on Mackie, Soundcraft, Yamaha,Allen and Heath, Trident, and maybe 100 hours on an SSL G series, (the assistant did most of the work)I also know O2R and D8B, and they're fine. But with the money for Yamaha and Mackie digi desks, I keep thinking I've missed something. I like analog dynamics processors and I'd like to not buy a bunch of channels of outboard pre's and comps and EQ's. I often put up 12 to 15 mics for full band live off the floor sessions. and mix 16 to whatever tracks. I'm recording to Mackie HDR and ProTools.
I want the best of both worlds and I want it cheap.
Any Ideas?

A
Gold Member
Gold Member
A
In the other thread already old Neves and other used big consoles were mentioned.

I wouldnŽt choose this big animals for the studio work you wanna do.

Instead of this big consoles IŽd rather consider smaller but high quality mixers like:
Studer 169/269
Studer 961/962
These are portable with max 16 channels. A lot of classic and jazz productions are still done with the 961/962 series.

Studer 963 (max 60 inputs)
Excellent preamps and a clean signal path (not overloaded like in a Neve).

Sonsosax SX-T series.

Cadac F-Type (surround capable).

MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Anita, sounds liek we have simiiar set-ups, we too have a Mackie HDR (with the HDR Pro upgrade) and Protools (via an 001) We chose a Soundtracs SoloLogic 24x8x24 for our mixing needs (used) and are extremely pleased. The sonic quality is fantastic, a decent yet modest 4 band Brit style eq, 6 aux sends, 4 stereo returns, superb VCA and mute automation that sync's with both the HDR and the 001 perfectly..I really cannot say enough about this desk. It has performed wonderfully for us for over 2 yrs, and Steve M., sSoundtracs US rep has been major helpful gathering info for us on some mods we wanted to do.

Hope this is helpful.

A
OP Offline
A
Thank you very much, this is excellent information. I see another thread on this subject just as I post this after posting initially in the wrong forum. And it still worked! These forums are terrific. Only my netiquette needs work.

Moderated by  gm 

Link Copied to Clipboard