Music Player Network
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
F
OP Offline
F
Well, they seem to be roughly the same price, so what should I get? And since some of you will recommend the ADAM's, which size is best for near/mid-field mixing?

Gold Member
Gold Member
Check out the SLS S8R's. I heard them at AES and they ROCK.

I'm getting a pair when my color comes in.

Rich...

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Quote:
Originally posted by fat cat:
Well, they seem to be roughly the same price, so what should I get?
Absolutely!!

Quote:
And since some of you will recommend the ADAM's, which size is best for near/mid-field mixing?
If you're not sure which size to get, how do you know that they're roughly the same price?

[FWIW, I've found that the stuff I do comes out best with the S3-A's... your mileage may definitely vary as monitors are a highly subjective item... that only you are qualified to judge for your purposes]

Fletcher
Mercenary Audio

Roscoe Ambel once said:
Pro-Tools is to audio what fluorescent is to light
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I haven't heard the ADAM's yet, but I like the JBL's.

Want mix/tracking feedback? Checkout "The Fade"-
http://www.grand-designs.cc/mmforum/index.php

The soon-to-be home of the "12 Bar-Blues Project"
Gold Member
Gold Member
Don't forget about the ATC's...they are a serious contender IMO. The T-16's retail for about $3000 a pair and are exactly what my ears are looking for...definitely my next monitor purchase.

Nathan Eldred

The Store:

AtlasProAudio.com

The Studio:

AtlasRecording.com
R
R
Quote:
Originally posted by Roger Chernenburg:
Check out the SLS S8R's. I heard them at AES and they ROCK.

I had heard those at a previous show and liked them enough to borrow a set for awhile. However, FWIW, in my room they sounded terrible. Just wrong, in some uninexplicable way, and the extreme directionality of the tweeters drove me nuts. The ADAMs have solved the directionality problem of ribbons and require less getting used to the "ribbon-y" sound (whatever that may mean to you).

I use LSR28's at my studio and extensively checked out the ADAM SA-3's at AES to see if they would give me something more. I felt that they (the ADAMs) had a little more enhanced detail in the top end and more low end extension and were overall a nice combination of musicality and accuracy. My ear was a bit confused by the double woofers, but that could have been the room. All in all I think I could be very happy with these, for both tracking and mixing.

OTOH, I like my LSR28's a great deal, especially for tracking. When it sounds right it also "feels" right. You can easily tell when a track is grooving and when it isn't. The high end doesn't have that extra sense of X-ray detail that you find in the ADAMs and others, expecially speakers like the ATC's (which I don't care for), but neither is it dull. I think most people could do very well with these and I wouldn't trade mine for anything.

Regarding the original poster, I don't know what you're comparing as far as price is concerned. The JBL's list for less than $2,000 a pair whereas the SA-3's list for over 4k.

Rick Krizman
KrizManic Music

A
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
A
fatcat, you may be set on ribbons, but if not then you should also check out the KRK E8's. For what I do, in my room, they are perfect. Beyond perfect.

-But you'll still need a mains system, as they don't have a lot of LF extension.

Moderated by  gm 

Link Copied to Clipboard