Music Player Network
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Fat Cat Offline OP
OP Offline
Where do I find the mix and producer desks that I see in so many Mix mag pics? You know, the nice pine looking ones with gray or black surfaces. Are those desks specially made, or can I just buy them somewhere?

V
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
V
Quote:
Originally posted by EQwrangler:
Where do I find the mix and producer desks that I see in so many Mix mag pics? You know, the nice pine looking ones with gray or black surfaces. Are those desks specially made, or can I just buy them somewhere?
In the same magazines, typically closer t o the back pages, there are companies that advertise (not the full page pics that showcase the feature stories) these types of wares.
Argosy comes to mind.

Good luck.

Fat Cat Offline OP
OP Offline
I've seen the argosy and omnirax stuff and it dosn't look nearly as good as the producer desks in the big studios. Where do they get them?

V
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
V
Most are custom made.

Or, you can try:
http://www.taytrix.com/rack.htm

Z
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Z
It sure isn't the big-studio kind of stuff quality-wise, but Middle Atlantic has a complete line-up of DAW desks, racks, producer desks, and other stuff in their Edit Center line. I like it better than the OmniRax equipment (heck, I have an Edit Center and rack setup in my project studio as well). It seems to be built better and it looks better. But it also costs more than the OmniRax. So YMMV.

Most of the commerical facilities I've been in have their woodworking custom-made.

Current live rig: Roland RD700SX, Hammond XK-3 with Leslie System 21, and Muse Receptor. Also a Nord Stage 76 other times instead. And a Roland FP-7 for jazz gigs.
HOME: Kawai MP8 + a bunch of VI's.
R
R
When I wear my studio consultant hat, I have to say the converstation I fear the most is this one. There are really very few options and no matter how many times I can warn someone, their aesthetic or monetary issues always outweigh any serious real-world advice I give them and I know I will be in a crappy, trying not to say, "I told you so" position in a few months. Most stuff is cheap and poorly made or if it is solid, it has massive ergonomic/room integration issues.

The argosy stuff is cheap and resonates like nobody's business, totally fucking up your sound. The Omnirax always puts your speakers someplace other than where you need them. Tay's stuff does the same spkr thing in stock configurations. And the racks use really cheap wheels that lead to easy tipping when you roll them. The woods also don't hold up so well with time.

Try boutiqueaudio.com for straight up, looks like a studio, sounds like a studio, feels like a studio furniture, racks, and gobos.

MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
We had our stuff custom built. It cost more, but I think it was worth it. You can check the link below my post. The pictures don't really do it justice. It's a black top, covered with perforated metal, and then coated with clear epoxy poured on top.

IMDB Credit list
President George Washington: "The government of the United States is in no sense founded on the Christian Religion."
President Abraham Lincoln: "The Bible is not my book, nor Christianity my religion."
F
Gold Member
Gold Member
F
Quote:
Originally posted by robdarling@mail.com:
When I wear my studio consultant hat, I have to say the converstation I fear the most is this one. There are really very few options and no matter how many times I can warn someone, their aesthetic or monetary issues always outweigh any serious real-world advice I give them and I know I will be in a crappy, trying not to say, "I told you so" position in a few months. Most stuff is cheap and poorly made or if it is solid, it has massive ergonomic/room integration issues.

The argosy stuff is cheap and resonates like nobody's business, totally fucking up your sound. The Omnirax always puts your speakers someplace other than where you need them. Tay's stuff does the same spkr thing in stock configurations. And the racks use really cheap wheels that lead to easy tipping when you roll them. The woods also don't hold up so well with time.

Try boutiqueaudio.com for straight up, looks like a studio, sounds like a studio, feels like a studio furniture, racks, and gobos.
Rob, thank you for taking the time to reply. I am very interested in this as well. I was going to purchase the Argosy Dual 15 but after reading your comments, I think I'm going to look for other choices.

I went to boutiqueaudio.com but they had no pictures of their consoles. Do you know of any studios who have online photos with the boutique racks/workstations?

Thanks,
F

If you live in the Washington Metro area, check out Slave Audio
F
Gold Member
Gold Member
F
Quote:
Originally posted by Henchman:
We had our stuff custom built. It cost more, but I think it was worth it. You can check the link below my post. The pictures don't really do it justice. It's a black top, covered with perforated metal, and then coated with clear epoxy poured on top.
How much did the mixer desk cost?

If you live in the Washington Metro area, check out Slave Audio

Moderated by  gm 

Link Copied to Clipboard