Music Player Network
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
mmm Offline OP
Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member
Just driving home late and singing this at the top of my lungs. Who knows what studio, tracking/mixing consoles etc...? Love this mix!

pat
mmm

"well I wouldn't exactly say I've been missing it Bob!" - Peter Gibbons
mmm Offline OP
Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member
Anyone?

(bump)

pat
mmm

A
Gold Member
Gold Member
A
is that the title of the song..??? the band...?? or what..??

It`s kind of like saying....

220uF cap...great sound...who knows ecc..

Kind regards

axis

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.>>S
10k Club
10k Club
I presume you're talking about "Here Comes My Girl" by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers? Yeah... killer record. Produced by Jimmy Iovine, engineered by Shelly Yakus. If I recall right it was done at Sound City and Cherokee, both in L.A. Sound City is just an awesome recording room. I don't remember what consoles were in there in those days, but I know a couple of the folks involved with that record and I'll try and remember to ask them.

I DARE anybody to name me a record out today that sounds as good as that one. \:D

--Lee

C
C
Ok, how about Gentle Giant, Octopus. Not only an amazing performance and mix, but ... has any one listened to it in dolby or even better logic 7 surround. Fantastic. Really something to be said for the old (pre dig verb) chambers and actual physical plates. Check it out.

cdowdell@bricasti.com
10k Club
10k Club
I've always liked Shelly's work.

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Flier:
I presume you're talking about "Here Comes My Girl" by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers? Yeah... killer record. Produced by Jimmy Iovine, engineered by Shelly Yakus. If I recall right it was done at Sound City and Cherokee, both in L.A. Sound City is just an awesome recording room. I don't remember what consoles were in there in those days, but I know a couple of the folks involved with that record and I'll try and remember to ask them.

I DARE anybody to name me a record out today that sounds as good as that one. \:D

--Lee
How about 14 off the top of my head...

David Bowie - Heathen
Oasis - HeathenChemistry
Bryan Ferry - Frantic
Diana Krall - The Look of Love
Steely Dan - Two Against Nature
Mick Jagger - Goddess in the Doorway
Jonatha Brooke - Steady Pull
Joan Osbourne - Righteous Love
Train - Drops of Jupiter
Chris Issak - Always got Tonight
Weezer - Green Album
Sheryl Crow - C'mon C'mon
Bob Dylan - Love and Theft
Lucinda Williams - Car Wheels on a Gravel Road

Peace.
Carmen

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.
Sir Winston Churchill
mmm Offline OP
Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member
Yes, I was talking about TP's Here Comes My Girl. Come On, how many songs carry that title? Thanks for the prelim info Lee. If you find out about the board let me know.

pat
mmm

A
Gold Member
Gold Member
A
Quote:
Originally posted by mmm:
Yes, I was talking about TP's Here Comes My Girl. Come On, how many songs carry that title? Thanks for the prelim info Lee. If you find out about the board let me know.

pat
mmm
*GGG* never heard the song man...for me...it could be the title, or it could be a band name..like bachelor girl..

Pearl Jam made a song with that title..sooo..!!! You never can tell what`s out there...

Kind regards

axis

mmm Offline OP
Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member
Ooops forgot about our friends overseas. Pardon. If you lived in America and had a radio you would have known this.

pat
mmm

A
Gold Member
Gold Member
A
Quote:
Originally posted by mmm:
Ooops forgot about our friends overseas. Pardon. If you lived in America and had a radio you would have known this.

pat
mmm
Yo MMM,

Fine with me...that`s certainly the problem..*GGG*...

Kind regards

axis

10k Club
10k Club
Quote:
Originally posted by Casey:
Ok, how about Gentle Giant, Octopus. Not only an amazing performance and mix, but ... has any one listened to it in dolby or even better logic 7 surround. Fantastic. Really something to be said for the old (pre dig verb) chambers and actual physical plates. Check it out.
So they used real chambers and plates on this one? Haven't heard it, but I'll check it out!

I could have said actually that I think Frank Black's "Dogs in the Sand" record sounds incredible, but that'd be cheating because it was recorded live to analog 2-track. \:D It could just as easily have been made 20 years ago. And incidentally, it was done at Sound City. \:D

--Lee

E
E
Carmen
You mentioned the Dan's "Two against Nature." While it's beyond wonderful that they're back, there's no way that the super-clean sound of their recent stuff matches the sumptuous sounds of their earlier efforts.

Whether it's the absence of Gary Katz at the helm, or the squeaky-clean tracking, I'd love to get a perspective on this fundamental shift in sonics. Maybe it's the studios they're using (their own, River Sound and Hyperbolic Sound ?)but it's not the same anymore. Individual voices in the mix don't bed like they used to, so I have my suspicions where the blame lies.

It's the same all over. Clean, clean, clean.

But is it R'n R ? Tom Petty said:" Anything that's Rock an' Roll's fine" but he was talking about an attitude, I think, not the sound of Protools files.Am I just too old to "get" it?

Maybe I should have posted this reply on Roger's forum, but I guess these threads all get read by the same guys.

Just my 2 Pence........yes,Limey coin, from a Limey

M
M
I DARE anybody to name me a record out today that sounds as good as that one.

How about almost anything that's been done by Pearl Jam, Counting Crows, Neil Young, Bob Dylan (Infadels (spelling?), and John Hyatt (The teke bar is open). Just to name a few. Not putting down "here comes my girl" though. Good stuff.

10k Club
10k Club
Hmmm... well "Infidels" was released in what... 1984? '86? Way before Pro Tools et al. "Love and Theft" does sound really good though.

I think Pearl Jam and Counting Crows were well done but I don't think they sound as good as "Damn the Torpedoes" (the album from whence "Here Comes My Girl" came)... definitely they don't have the depth and body and spaciousness.

And Carmen, I have to agree with Eliot about "Two Against Nature"... I think it sounds sterile as hell and I feel it too lacks depth sonically. Sometimes you can almost forget what that sounds like, until you play it directly back to back with something that has it.

Some of the other suggestions, I have not heard... I'll have to give them a listen.

--Lee

mmm Offline OP
Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member
I think that HCMG was recorded at a time when analog reached its high point. The recordings were everything that was good about analog. Thats why I wondered about the board and the tape machine. Chances are that if it wasn't recorded on a Neve or SSL that the make of the board is probably available for cheap nowadays (say if it was a JH-636 or Amek Angela). The tape machine is probably still worth a good bit of money although a fraction of what it was originally. Just curious as to what made that sound (besides the awesome artists). Lee, the studio you mentioned, was it a big studio and is it still around?

pat
mmm

10k Club
10k Club
Yeah I agree Pat, that record was done just at the point where analog recording reached its zenith, before early digital reverbs reared their ugly heads and started screwing up recordings for years to come... LOL....

Yes, Sound City is a big studio, and yes they're still around (as I mentioned earlier in this thread, Frank Black did his most recent record there which sounds wonderful), you can check out their web page at http://www.soundcitystudios.com .

Actually, in looking at that site, it says they have Studer decks and custom Neve consoles in there now, and I'm pretty sure that's what they had back then too now that I think about it. Definitely everything there was always top of the line and still is. Aesthetically it's pretty nondescript and it's in a weird location but boy does it sound good there.

--Lee

M
M
well "Infidels" was released in what... 1984? '86?
Was it that long ago. Damn I'm getting old. I think you are correct because it was the album that was out when oddly enough he toured with TP and the Hearbreaders as his back up band. Disagree about the PJ and CC stuff though. Both are done all analog and have amazing dept. Plus, unless you have the vinal PJ you probably are getting a CD scew. And the first CC album with T-Bone Burnett was pretty great sounding. Love his mixing (sound). I do have trouble separating performance, writing from mixing, editing etc, though. So maybe I'm missing something. To me it's all goes together or it doesn't. I grew up listening to the Damn the Torpedo's album. Actually 8 track version I think. Was/is very good. Except the the 8 track clicks in between some songs.

mmm Offline OP
Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member
Correct me if I am wrong but isn't that picture under Studio A the one on the back cover of TP's album in question?

pat
mmm

D
D
Quote:
I could have said actually that I think Frank Black's "Dogs in the Sand" record sounds incredible, but that'd be cheating because it was recorded live to analog 2-track.
The "Catholics" records are amazing"!

Dan-O

Moderated by  gm 

Link Copied to Clipboard