Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#464983 05/16/02 05:33 AM
C
C
by the way,

does anyone have a mix that was done on a Bluesky system? I'll be interested in seeing how it will sound on my system.

OF COURSE, it definitely has to be better than this one, which was mixed on alesis monitor ones(about $300) and was all tracked with a mackie board. . It kicks major behind though.

http://www.bluechairrecordingstudio.com/blue_chair_mp3s/Track%2001%20 11.mp3

#464984 05/16/02 06:02 AM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
pascal pascal pascal... i did NOT implicate any SPECIFIC reviewer in my comment so therefore it can NOT be slanderous. you on the other hand who chose to SPAM this thread so i can comment on your remarks and NOT be slanderous, nor have i even stated false claims regarding your system... someone ELSE made a comment of which i have also noticed [and so has just about every single person i know of]

but these personal attacks on me are fine, it doesnt bother me... only shows your fears.

but IMO, you should give up on the studio market [which is HEAVILY limited] and go for the home theater market and make back all that R&D you spent on your system to where it would better be utilized anyways.

alphajerk
FATcompilation
"if god is truly just, i tremble for the fate of my country" -thomas jefferson
#464985 05/16/02 06:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by alphajerk:
pascal pascal pascal... i did NOT implicate any SPECIFIC reviewer in my comment so therefore it can NOT be slanderous. you on the other hand who chose to SPAM this thread so i can comment on your remarks and NOT be slanderous, nor have i even stated false claims regarding your system... someone ELSE made a comment of which i have also noticed [and so has just about every single person i know of]

but these personal attacks on me are fine, it doesnt bother me... only shows your fears.

but IMO, you should give up on the studio market [which is HEAVILY limited] and go for the home theater market and make back all that R&D you spent on your system to where it would better be utilized anyways.
You are correct, you mentioned no specific reviewer. You did make a blanket statement about reviewers though, which I found unfair. Anyway, I am done with this petty garbage.

One last thing, you are also correct about the consumer market. However, all of us involved with Blue Sky have been in the pro business for a while and we like being part of it. The consumer market may come down the road for us, but one step at a time. Also, up to this point the consumer market really doesn't seem to want powered speakers.

Pascal Sijen
Co-Founer
http://www.abluesky.com
#464986 05/16/02 07:09 AM
P
P
I have a question for the guys that really dig the ADAMS. What type of music do you deal with most of the time? I'm just curious....Thanks in advance.http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/icons/icon12.gif

Got to give the people what they want....and thats the phunk.......Tuphunkefuya.
#464987 05/16/02 09:03 AM
E
E
Hey Jules,

I liked the sound of your mix alot. Just curious, what medium do you mix to? (i.e., PT, 2")

#464988 05/16/02 09:25 AM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
look, we all know reviews in magazines are basically worthless. i mean when is the last time you heard a product get slammed? reviewers, politicians.... same fucking thing. there have been great reviews of things in ALL the magazines [which basically read as the same review] where end users have had MASSIVE problems with. in fact one product in particular comes to mind [not yours.... but i wont mention it so i dont SLANDER anyone :rolleyes: but its been reported by many people on the BB's]

as for rags in general, i think they have some great things about them as well... these personal columns are great, interviews i always get enjoyment out of reading someone elses take on things.

but my point. in the end its all about personal preference. but the end users dictate that preference. there have been many great sounding albums turned out on NS10's. im sure there will continue to be. westlakes, dynaudios, genelecs, and maybe the mackies... but its the end users making those records, and this thread happens to be about the joys of making records on ADAMs by the end users. im sorry its not your party so if that makes me combative, then so be it.

and its not really my fault that there are speakers out there that make people confident in their mixes [or frustrated ;\) ] and those people choose to voice that feeling. its not my fault when people come to my studio and are absolutely floored by what they hear [including some VERY nitpicky audiophile friends]... well maybe it is a little since i own them.

excuse my verbosity... ive been drinking \:D

p.s. 9something [cant remember... ive been drinking] the B&W 802's were what i was considering for my control room before i was turned onto the ADAMs... also totem mani2's as well [flat down to 40hz, bookshelf's... read BETTER than 805's] since i could of gotten a GREAT deal on them. and i could of very easily gotten the westlakes as well.

as my friend fibes says "you can like it or you can not like it"

pascal, i wish your company all the success, im sure you will do very well... work on a passive 5 active .1 system, theres a LOT of money out there, 50 million dvd players sold [guess how many home theater setups] ;\)

what can i say dave, im a pig ;\)

alphajerk
FATcompilation
#464989 05/16/02 02:11 PM
V
V
Hi everybody,

I´ve just received my S4As and I´m very pleased with the sound. They are much bigger than I remembered from the Messe and they barely fit on my stands which used to carry my Event 20/20s.
Can anybody recommend good speaker stands for the S4s?

I haven´t done any mix with the ADAMs yet but so far the biggest difference between the Events and the S4s (except power & bass response)while listening is that the ADAMs sound duller (with EQ controls set to "0" position).

Thanks!

Regards
Babu/MUSIC LAB Sweden

#464990 05/16/02 03:02 PM
P
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
P
"I´ve just received my S4As and I´m very pleased with the sound. They are much bigger than I remembered from the Messe and they barely fit on my stands which used to carry my Event 20/20s."

hehehe! I could see that coming! \:D \:D \:D \:D

Nice bit of Emo-core there Clock what an intro!

My mix method is very convoluted.. but basically - analog - 'back to Pro Tools' @ 24 bit - then 16 bit to masterlink

That mix was sort of Pre mastered while I was mixing.. I will explain in detail later..

Blue Sky.. hmmmm manufacturers posting eh? Unless they walk on eggshells, very mindful of posting protocol / coolness, thier ventures into Forums like this are often ill fated - IMHO.

Rock on..!!!

Are ADAMS just rock speakers? I dont think so My dance & classical music clients dig them very much too.

Jules

Jules
Producer Julian Standen
London, UK,
Come hang here! http://www.gearslutz.com
#464991 05/16/02 05:45 PM
J
J
I do dance and rock music and my ADAM S2As certainly dance and rock!!!
To really hear what the bass end is doing is a new experience for me.It almost feels like your in the studio with the bands when listening to CDs.Very detailed.

John

#464992 05/16/02 06:02 PM
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club
Quote:
Originally posted by alphajerk:
look, we all know reviews in magazines are basically worthless. i mean when is the last time you heard a product get slammed?

alpha...come on now…
I know that often many reviewers will "dance on a thin line" because their rag happens to also sell ad space to the same company they are reviewing...but, you are implying that the only good review is one that "slams" a product...?

Hey...I've read plenty reviews that pointed out the bad features of a product...maybe they didn't slam it totally...but then that would be kind of combative…if reviewers just "slammed" products...unless of course it truly was a TOTAL piece of shit and it deserved to get slammed. There have been a few of those too.
Often, each product has some good points and some bad points...which way it "weighs out" varies, and could OFTEN be VERY a subjective thing.

If I was to really bitch about reviews, it is about those that don't go either way...they talk about the features, the specs, and maybe even some application...but the reviewer never say shit.
I don't have a problem with a reviewers subjective opinion, good or bad...hell, that's what most of the opinions are on these forums. But, at least if you hear enough subjective opinions you start to get an IDEA of what really is...but ultimately you will still need to form your own opinion.

I have as little trust in a reviewer that just "slams" a product as I do in one that just praises the shit out of it...you need to add salt to taste!!! \:D

...in the end its all about personal preference. but the end users dictate that preference. there have been many great sounding albums turned out on NS10's. im sure there will continue to be. westlakes, dynaudios, genelecs, and maybe the mackies...

Hey...thanks for this plainly obvious but often forgotten fact...yes it is about personal preference...and that applies to reviewers (see above) too, they also are allowed to have personal prefs.

Oh...I'll keep you posted on how the Mackies end up workin' for me... ;\)

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."
#464993 05/16/02 06:26 PM
N
N
Presently, we're hoping to fit a pair of S4-As. We need a 5:1 in there as well.

Having indicated our intentions, here's an Oct. 99 review on the S2-As by Keith Holland. IMO (based on the several reviews I read there), his proffessional efforts to remain "clinically nuetral" about the S2-As are consistant with his reviews of several other monitors, filed in the Archives.

http://www.studio-sound.com/archive/oct99/r_adam_s2a.html

No slight to McCave, but this review is not available at ADAM.

#464994 05/16/02 06:47 PM
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club
Maybe it's all that HF harmonic distortion that is pleasing to all who've heard...hmmm...

...tubes.

We all hear differently and are affected differently by different frequencies...sometimes good, sometime bad.

So...it's difficult to have one piece of gear that everyone hears the same way and is affected by it the same way.

It's all just personal preference...nothing scientific...just taste.

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."
#464995 05/16/02 07:31 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
There's distortion and there' s distortion.
Mic up a vibraphone (hard mallets) with a good tube mic, through a good tube pre, record to digital, play back through good tube amp, and if those monster tranients are coming through crystal clear, nothing untoward audible at 105 dB, whatever "distortion" is involved is not the distortion I'm concerned with.
Of course playing it back through solid state you get to hear how the solid state handles it, which is how it will be heard most times.

I like the idea of getting the trick Adams that can run powered or passive, and setting up some tube amps for a little A/B.
Ted

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau
#464996 05/16/02 07:39 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
im not saying EVERY product should get slammed... but there are a few that certainly dont need to be reviewed in such a positive light. its misleading to those who dont really know up from down or those who havent used the product.

honestly, i think the end users give better reviews on places like this over any magazine because they dont have their hands held by advertising dollars [and slanderous or not, it IS a factor]

alphajerk
FATcompilation
#464997 05/16/02 07:44 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member
Quote:
Originally posted by villeman:

I haven´t done any mix with the ADAMs yet but so far the biggest difference between the Events and the S4s (except power & bass response)while listening is that the ADAMs sound duller (with EQ controls set to "0" position).
Babu/MUSIC LAB Sweden
That's because Events are bright. Not annoyingly so, but perhaps a little hyped up there so when mixing on them (in my case working in a studio that has them) I must constantly remind myself of that fact and recheck the mixes on a different set of monitors at my house.

I've read some reviewers mention how the BlueSkys were brighter (or was it more highs?) compared with their own set. Same kind of thing as the Events I wonder?
Pascal?

Raul
#464998 05/16/02 08:21 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Sergievsky:
Quote:
Originally posted by villeman:

Babu/MUSIC LAB Sweden
That's because Events are bright. Not annoyingly so, but perhaps a little hyped up there so when mixing on them (in my case working in a studio that has them) I must constantly remind myself of that fact and recheck the mixes on a different set of monitors at my house.

I've read some reviewers mention how the BlueSkys were brighter (or was it more highs?) compared with their own set. Same kind of thing as the Events I wonder?
Pascal?
Against my better judgment I will comment... DISCLAIMER - I am a manufacturer and I am making a somewhat biased statement about my product...

I believe Mitch Gallagher in his review said basically that the extended response can result in bright sound in some rooms. He auditioned the system in a very live and reflective small room. Because our tweeters response is very extended (beyond 20kHz, even off axis, you can get a build up of HF energy from reflections).

Ken Hughes in this months Keyboard said the following - "At first the high end seemed hyped compared to the Tannoy limpets and Genelec 1030A's I'm used to. After long listening and mixing sessions, though, my ears were less fatigued than usual. The highs aren't hyped, there just more open and detailed."

From what our measurements indicate, the response is very flat, not hyped. However, this hybrid ring-radiator tweeter has a certain character that is different than most tweeters and its extended and detailed response can be perceived as bright when you first A/B them to more conventional designs...

- One quick comment on distortion...

The reviewer in the ADAM S2-A review mentioned that this distortion may or may not be audible, yada yada yada... When you talk about distortion in speakers, you open a huge can of worms with regard to psychoacoustics. For those of you who are interested in this type of stuff, here is a good paper about how we perceive sounds and distortion (or if you can't sleep, this may work as well).

The paper concludes the following -

CONCLUSION - http://privatewww.essex.ac.uk/~djmrob/papers/human_auditory_system.pdf

We have followed the path of a sound wave, from outside a listeners head, past the pinna and ear canal, into the cochlea, onto the basilar membrane, through the inner hair cells, along the auditory nerve, and into the higher processing centres. The most critical factor to engineers is that any information lost due to the transduction process within the cochlea is not available to the brain – the cochlea is effectively a lossy coder. The vast majority of what we cannot hear is attributable to this transduction process. So, if we take a “perfect” audio signal, and add some noise, can we say that the amount of noise we’ve added is a good indication of how bad the signal will sound? NO! If all the noise is hidden in spectral or temporal regions that we simply cannot hear, then the signal may still sound “perfect”. Hence we must consider the human auditory system when assessing or processing audio signals. It’s called “matching signals to the final receiver”.

Pascal Sijen
Co-Founer
http://www.abluesky.com
#464999 05/16/02 09:10 PM
B
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
B
Quote:
Originally posted by nineChoirs:
Presently, we're hoping to fit a pair of S4-As. We need a 5:1 in there as well.

Having indicated our intentions, here's an Oct. 99 review on the S2-As by Keith Holland. IMO (based on the several reviews I read there), his proffessional efforts to remain "clinically nuetral" about the S2-As are consistant with his reviews of several other monitors, filed in the Archives.

http://www.studio-sound.com/archive/oct99/r_adam_s2a.html

No slight to McCave, but this review is not available at ADAM.
Cool- be sure to read this:

http://www.studio-sound.com/archive/aprl00/monitor.html

in conjunction.

The last comment in the S2-A review is very pertinent to what many listeners have noted and directly relates to price/value/portability if you think about it.

I am in agreement with what Pascal BlueSky seems to be implying about "hyped highs"- the real test of hyped highs is fatigue and measuring against translatability, not initial impression, which could be due to material played and/or unexpected presentation of high frequency material. (Well if you know a piece inside out and are completely on top of the listening environment, and it's shit boxes, etc., making a snap judgement would be different, but anyway, in general).

-Bobro

#465000 05/16/02 11:16 PM
W
W
I've had the blue sky's for a full 18 hours so consider this a snapshot and not a rush to judgement:

at first flush the blue sky's did seem hyped -- to me not so much in the highs but in the upper mids -- right around 3k. after some extended listening using Spectrafoo's spectagraph as a second set of "ears" what I discovered is that a lot of cd's seem to be peaky in this region and the blue sky's are just reproducing it.

The second thing I noticed is that I've rediscovered 40 - to 70hz after a long vacation from a "real" studio. As for 20hz -- there's plenty of it -- now if I could just reach the console from across the hall in the john!

#465001 05/18/02 02:26 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I do sampling and sound design on my S4cs, as well as my own electronic music and some project mixing for local bands (most recently a surf band!!) They make me grin, but as I believe Phil or Jules said, they're not the loudest speakers in the world. That's probably my only issue with them.

Dave Bryce wrote:
If the truth must be told (which it must), Peake heard them before I did, and made me go check them out. I just bought mine faster...

But you get to see the grins bursting on each new listener's face as the US distributor! I'd say that's pretty cool... It also shows impeccable taste my friend. You brought me to Gallo Nero so I'd say that we're even

I had purchased a set of ESS AMT 1Bs back in high school (1981), and still have them; when we were setting up the Messe booth, I saw that the ADAMs had new versions of the HEIL AMT, and ran over.. Klaus must have gotten pretty sick of me that show...

Give me the ANALOG and no one gets HURT
#465002 05/26/02 09:54 AM
R
R
Quote:
Originally posted by BlueSky:
Quote:

I think everyone knows I have a biased opinion and an interest in these speakers (I don't hide my identity - I am one of the owners of Blue Sky). That is why I always let people know that they should try them out in their studio, and form their own opinion.

[/QB]
I must say that your rep in Los Angeles was very good about getting me a system to try for a week or so. I wanted to like them very much as it would provide an extremely cost-effective solution to surround monitoring, however this was not to be. I agree that the high end is detailed, and to my ears the transition to the sub was very smooth, however there was just something I found to be unpleasant in the overall listening experience. I liked all my favorite albums less, and felt less enthused about my own work. Something in the upper midrange was bothering me, but I couldn't put my finger on it. A couple of colleagues spent some time with them as well, and neither was particularly impressed. They both thought that in some ways the speakers just didn't sound right and were annoyed as a result.

This of course is just my opinion, or more accurately, my perception. It's silly for people to get too worked up about expressed monitor opinions, as it's all just too subjective. Regardless of what the reviewers say, people should take advantage of your offer to lend out the systems and decide for themselves. Ultimately, the marketplace will speak. As for me, I bought 3 more LSR28's to complete a surround setup.

I am looking forward to checking out the ADAMs, however, if only because I've never heard such unanimous and unqualified praise for a monitor.

Rick Krizman
KrizManic Music

#465003 05/29/02 09:01 AM
S
S
Quote:
I am looking forward to checking out the ADAMs, however, if only because I've never heard such unanimous and unqualified praise for a monitor.
Rick,

Send me an email with your contact info. I would be delighted to arrange something for you.

Josh Holmes
joshua.holmes@mccave.com

#465004 05/30/02 03:41 AM
10k Club
10k Club
Okay, here's a song that was tracked / mixed with the ADAM's. It's all "me", as opposed to something we did for a client.

Download "Change_Your_Mind.MP3" - the other two files ("phobia.mp3" and "entangled.mp3") are songs we did for clients, and you're welcome to check theose out as well if you're so inclined.

Just having some fun. ;\)

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  gm 

Link Copied to Clipboard