Music Player Network
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
Can anyone give some insight as to the quality of these pre's, How they stack up to the V72-76 pre's, are they worth racking instead of other units, any drawbacks to this unit ? thanks

X
X
I have some 276 / v77 / v72 units..
The 276' s are the transistor replacements of the V76 series tube pres & are made to extremely sick levels of build quality to fulfil the specs of the German broadcast service (build the best - spare no expense). ..they are designed as mic pres so they have stepped volume control up to +- 70 DB, fine gain attenuation & a user selectable low freq roll off. They require a 24v DC power supply, audio in/out and you are ready to rock n roll. So, in that sense they require less work and fiddling to rack up than a V72 ..they don't sound the same as a v72 , as you could expect (not being a tube unit), but they still have a 'vintage' tone & are a high quality pre that you can't go wrong with IMO , especially for the going prices of a raw module and considering the original selling price ($$.. the Tube V stuff also cost silly money back in the day) ..The lack of tubes could possibly be considered an advantage when one sees the skyrocketing prices and scarcity of NOS v72 / 76 tubes... I use both the tube & transistor V units for tracking ..on some apps (or depending on the planets that day) the transistors work better!..

OP Offline
Hey thanks for the info. Its good to hear from someone who has real exp with these pre's and very insightful, Im seriously considering racking some of these but have never heard them or had the oportunity to a/b them with anything. Id like to have the vintage sound but didnt know if they were that type of preamp so thanks again. \:\)

M
M
chris,

I am also a happy V276-owner. Let me point out another advantage of these units: they are absolutely noiseless and precise. It took me some time to become aware of this - recording classical guitar was a revelation: perfect resolution in the mids.

=> warmly recommended.

cheers,

michael

R
R
I have four v672 (class A version of v72) pres. Oliver at Tab-Funkenwerk.com refurbished and racked them and they sound excellent (very sweet pronounced mids). I wouldn't hesitate to rack vintage Telefunken type modules of any series.

rp

OP Offline
Thanks guys , these sound like they'll be great, I will be using them on sequenced keyboards
( ambient new age stuff ) acoustic guitar and vocals so I really need some quiet pre's and the pronounced mids sound like theyll be great on guitar and vocals! Is there anything that you wouldnt use them with ?

X
X
I think you will find them to be well suited for all-round recording tasks..I have used them on everything from Vox, to drums, to line signals & never had an instance where I thought 'oh, this doesn't work'...

OP Offline
Excellent ! Thanks very much.

Moderated by  gm 

Link Copied to Clipboard