Music Player Network
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
So, I've got this room in my house that is now designated "the control room".

Roughly 14x12, hardwood floor 10' ceilings, plaster walls.

The problem is that the previous owner built a large walk in closet in one corner, leaving the room (backwards) L-shaped.

The long side of the "L" has the doorway at the top of it, in the corner. The short side of the "L" is about 12'.

OPTION 1) I can set up my monitors on the long side of the "L", but I really only have about a 12' wall space because of where the doorway is; which pushes me to one side of the room, close to a wall on my rightside (the short side of the L).

Behind me that leaves the closet partially behind me, 8' back along half the space, and then to the right behind me (the short length of the "L") an alcove about 6' wide and about 4' deep.

OPTION 2:
Set up on the short side of the "L". This would be a nice symetrical 12' wall. But then I would have behind me on the right side the above mentioned alcove, but now the closet wall would be a mere 6' behind me, then to the left behind me would the long space of the "L", 8x the length of the room.

PROBLEMS:

Option 1 puts me against a wall on my right.

Option 2 puts a wall a mere 6' behind me - but only for a 4' lenght of the closet.

Additionally compounding this is that the wall is an outside facing one, and I have a neighbor's house about 15' away; so monitoring at 2 in the morning might be a problem if I have my monitors along that wall. Plus, there's two windows on that wall, although they're conveniently symetrically spaced.

So what's worse: having one wall that's going to ultimately be about 5' to the right of the mix position - non-symetrical? Or being symetrically farther away from a side wall, but with another wall what's going to amount to be about a foot behind and to the right - although only occupying about 4' width wise of the space behind me?

I've though about this an have come up with

OPTION 3:

Set up in the *corner* of the "heel" of the "L". This puts a pseudo-symetrical space around me, although the walls will be 45 degrees to the mix position; it would then make the space behind me a little bit more symetrical, making the "inside" corner of the "L" pointing at my back. I wouldn't have a wall immediately behind me, and they would reflect away from the mix position.

The feng shui feeling I get is that I should be along the short side of the "L", since if you walk into the room you're "lead" there from the door, instead of having to turn around to face the long side of the "L" if I chose to set up there. Additionally, I think the wall being immediately behind me to one side won't be as bad as having a wall right next to me.

The downside being - I'm probably going to have to do something to stop low end from going through the wall behind the speakers. At least half-block the windows (it's a nice sunny room and I value the natural light).

I haven't calculated what the modes are in there yet, and I plan on running some white noise in there in different ways, measure it with one of my Audix TR40 test omnis through my Grace 101 in Cool Edit - then figure out what sort of room treatment I need to do n general to calm it down a bit.
Sounds typical of what you'd expect, although there seems to be a curious hole somewhere in the low end which I presume is the result of the corner of the closet doing weird things (and that the closet wasn't built perfectly plumb).

So -

Long wall - with doorway to the left, with a wall 5' to the right of mix position. This I know is probably going to bug me, regardless of how I try to mute the wall with surface treatments, or

Short wall, with another wall less than a few feet behind the mix position occupying 4' of a 12' space behind the mix position, and with better ergonomics... but with the neighboring house issue?

or the odd solution - setup in the corner of the "heel" of the L?

Or just not worry about it because it's not designed by Storyk or bau:ton?

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com
Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien
10k Club
10k Club
Ok, Chip...

I've read your question and description, and I'm totally confused about the dimensions and features of this room. Any chance we can see a graphic representation for pics of the room before responding?

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick
fntstcsnd
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
do ya need that closet? can you rip it out?

Steve Powell - Bull Moon Digital
http://www.bullmoondigital.com
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
Quote:
Originally posted by fantasticsound:
Ok, Chip...

I've read your question and description, and I'm totally confused about the dimensions and features of this room. Any chance we can see a graphic representation for pics of the room before responding?
Yeah, I know... I'll see if I can get a digital picture tonight.

Steve: yeah, I thought about that but I'm not sure how long I'm going to be here, and I'll have to put another back in when I sell it in order for it to be a "bedroom"; one of the previous owners radically changed the floorplan, I don't know what the room was previously. Plus, that's a big can of worms, because then I start thinking "well you know, I don't really need a "living room", I could make the "dining room" a really cool control room, and splay the walls and do a resilient ceiling treatment thing, then... then I coul.. well...

If I end up being here for "a while" (yikes...) I'll build another building out back where a garage should be. I don't want to get too modification-happy right out of the gate if you know what I mean.

Thing is, I have another bedroom that's more sensible, but it's at the back of the house and it's a bit dark and drab. If I switch my bedroom to the room I'm currently talking about, then I get to hear the neighbors rev their stupid Camaro (yes, I live in a Billy Bob Thornton movie) at 7 am every morning, then the stupid bus at 8 and 9 am...

I really like how the front bedroom is sunny, which sounds silly I know, but I'd rather *create* in there than in the dark dungeon of the back room. Plus, the back room is adjacent to the neighbor's bedroom.

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com
Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
your neighbors told me they live in a Spinal Tap movie - go figure \:D

Steve Powell - Bull Moon Digital
http://www.bullmoondigital.com

Moderated by  gm 

Link Copied to Clipboard