Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
M
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Blaske:
Don't worry. Deep down, where it counts, Fletcher and Mixerman love me.

Lee Blaske[/qb]
Deep down, where it counts, you're right!

Mixerman
Got Alsihad?
http://www.prosoundweb.com/recpit

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Blaske:
Don't worry. Deep down, where it counts, Fletcher and Mixerman love me.
As only brethren can...

Lee, I have to hand it to you, this has gotten ridiculous to the point of actual laughter... thanx!!

Fletcher
Mercenary Audio

Roscoe Ambel once said:
Pro-Tools is to audio what fluorescent is to light
F
F
Quote:
Originally posted by Mixerman:
[QUOTE] Frank, you have not been banned.
You can freely post there anytime you wish. Please do not misrepresent the truth.
Mixerman
Gee, that's funny...just a day ago you wrote me saying "Now, I'm happy to have your opinion on here, but if you continue to put up posts that use ProTools' real name, I will no longer edit them, I'll just delete them outright."

Can we come back without having you edit our posts? Please tell us we can...ooohhh, please?

Looking forward to more meaningful dialog.

Respectfully yours...

Frank Rizzo

C
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
C
Quote:
Lee Blaske posted:
The first time I spoke to Fletcher on the phone, it was in regards to purchasing a pair of VT-737SP's. During that conversation, I also inquired about purchasing some of the special Avalon single space rack filler panels (I thought they'd look nice in my rack). When I brought that up, Fletcher voiced a strong opinion on what a rip off they were, and how I'd be better off with generic filler panels. Momentarily stunned and overwhelmed by his strong conviction on this matter, I decided not to order the Avalon rack fillers. Later that day, however, I got to thinking about it and decided that those Avalon fillers really *would* look nice (especially since I had just gotten rid of my large format analog console to go totally ProTools and wanted to have *something* nice to look at), and that they were an affordable luxury for me. I called Fletcher back to place the order, and he said "fine, I'll get them for you" (in the standard Mercenary Audio "This is not a problem" tradition). I fear, however, that at that precise moment, he might have lost all respect for me.
So Lee, how have those Avalon fillers been working out for ya?

E

Eric Vincent (ASCAP)
http://www.curvedominant.com
U
U
protools is legit. fletcher is a hater. a funny hater but still just another hater.

MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I wonder who Fletch might be under the bluster...

I may look like a farmer, but I'm a lover!
You can't judge a book by looking at the cover...
Ted

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Quote:
Originally posted by underdog:
protools is legit. fletcher is a hater. a funny hater but still just another hater.
If by listening to something, and determining that it is of no use to my work I am to be considered a "hater"... then a "hater" I must be... for Alsihad, in every form and configuration I have heard and worked with has sucked hamster dick from the perspective of 'audio quality'.

If you like flat and grainy sounding platforms, by all means continue on with your use of Alsihad... I have less than no use for the tool, but that's not to say that someone, somewhere doesn't find it useful.

There are 'Proctoscopes' in use every day in every city in the free world... doesn't mean I'm looking forward to doing a session with one of those machines either.

Fletcher
Mercenary Audio

Roscoe Ambel once said:
10k Club
10k Club
Quote:
Originally posted by Fletcher@mercenary.com:
for Alsihad, in every form and configuration I have heard and worked with has sucked hamster dick from the perspective of 'audio quality'.
Man, nothing describes a negative phenomenon so succinctly as "sucking hamster dick". Oh, man...this just slayed me. I'm going home for the day.

- Jeff

W
W
Fletcher wrote:

Alsihad, in every form and configuration I have heard and worked with has sucked hamster dick from the perspective of 'audio quality'.

\:D

V
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
V
The last thing anybody should do here is let a salesman influence their ideas about a product.

All these two jokers have is the internet (their day jobs...although, they both do spend an awful lot of time posting drivel) and the forums they admin. :rolleyes:

Fletch...how's the Mackie 32*8? Shit on a stick, eh? \:D

P
Gold Member
Gold Member
P
Quote:
Originally posted by PeeTee:
The last thing anybody should do here is let a salesman influence their ideas about a product.

All these two jokers have is the internet (their day jobs...although, they both do spend an awful lot of time posting drivel) and the forums they admin. :rolleyes:

Yes, I'm afraid that there is only one word to describe salesboy Fletch's continual babbling:

fletchulance

(For those who don't understand, please go to dictionary.com and type in the word "flatulence".)

Why can't he just stay behind the sales counter and make sure the glass cases are kept clean?

J-Lo.

D
10k Club
OP Offline
10k Club
D
Can't you just feel the LOOOOOVE on this thread? \:D

Do hamsters actually HAVE dicks? I mean, have you guys like actually checked, or something?

Ancient versions of ScroTools DID suck. How about recent versions? Mix Plus? HD? Are these any better, or do they simply represent more tracks of suckage at a higher price point?

The Black Knight always triumphs!
M
M
Quote:
Originally posted by Frank Rizzo:
Quote:
[QUOTE] Frank, you have not been banned.
You can freely post there anytime you wish. Please do not misrepresent the truth.
Mixerman
Gee, that's funny...just a day ago you wrote me saying "Now, I'm happy to have your opinion on here, but if you continue to put up posts that use ProTools' real name, I will no longer edit them, I'll just delete them outright."

Can we come back without having you edit our posts? Please tell us we can...ooohhh, please?

Looking forward to more meaningful dialog.

Respectfully yours...

Frank Rizzo
No, you may not post those dirty words on my forum. But I've decided I won't delete your posts, I'll justymove them to Nika's forum, where your posts are more relevant.

If you were banned, you would not be free to post there. You are not banned, you CHOOSE to not use the word Alsihad, which is a term that I enjoy, and you are free to express your lack of enjoyment. It's my radio show so I get to do what I want.

But PSW is not JUST the Mixerman show. If you enjoy it you'll come and watch. If you don't enjoy it, there are other excellent programming choices there. You can watch for car wrecks at Fletcher's forum (one of my personal favorite hobbies), you can have a personal practically one on one conversation with Bob Buonatempo, you can discuss Alsihad using it's given name on Nika's forum. Nika is a huge supporter of the sytem, much like yourself.

Please, enjoy yourself, and do things that you enjoy. And do not feel shunned. We realize that it can be a difficult transition to make into the world of expressing enjoyment of Alsihad. We are very patient. When you are ready to express your enjoyment or lack thereof, I look forward to hearing from you again.

In the meantime, enjoy sneaking in and reading all the fun stuff, and don't feel left out. I often times have discussions that have nothing to do with Alishad. I realize it doesn't seem that way right now, but consider this: If you listen to all the sports shows (and I do) the big topic right now is College Basketball. Well that's what happens during the NCAA tournament. It's no different with Alsihad. MOA brought out her new system, and now there is very much discussion on this issue.

Thanks for coming by. BTW, Candace doesn't know who the hell you are. So what studio is it that you own?

Mixerman
Got Alsihad?

M
M
Quote:

And what do you think my day job is?

Mixerman

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Quote:
Abso-fuckin-lutely!!! I couldn't agree with you more. I'm sure as hell not selling anything here, but it seems that more than a few have a vested interest in professing their love of Alsihad...

Now, I do work at a store... and I'm sure sometime in the future we're going to drag our asses kicking and screaming into the 90's and get into pimping DAW's... but at this point, we don't... my point is, I have nothing financial on the line regarding my distain for Alsihad... but others (in this very thread) do.

Couple the fact that the store doesn't pimp DAW's with the fact that everyone at our joint is on salary (not commission... so we get paid the same at the end of the week no matter what happens... no one sale or lack thereof is going to change the weakly paycheck), I don't have shit to gain, nor shit to lose by anyone's decision about which DAW / format / platform is right for them.

What I can say, from experience, from actual use on actual records (BTW if you ever drop by the M-A shop, there are lots of gold records on the wall... they belong to me, but I won't have them in my home. Most are from a studio where I used to be an owner, the rest are for my work on the records, usually as an engineer) it is from my work as an engineer that I have found Alsihad an inferior tool (for my work).

If your mileage differs from mine, well that's fine too. I've heard some excellent recordings made with Alsihad... the performances were excellent. The best I've ever heard in terms of records made exclusively in Alsihad, the audio didn't 'interfere' with my enjoyment of the music, though the audio didn't add to my enjoyment of the music (which is what the best audio does).

In alot of cases I hear the platform interfere with the musical presentation, much as I could hear the ADAT interfere with the musical presentation in days gone by. This is one of the things that bothers me about Alsihad.

It could be a personal problem... it could be a problem endemic of an inferior platform. You decide for yourself... it's your work, your name is going to end up on the work. I've made my decision... and yes, my name has ended up on records done in Alsihad, and try as I might, they have never lived up to my sonic expectations. This could very well be due to my incompetence as an engineer, but somehow I doubt that. Over the last 20+ years I seem to have been able to come up with a couple things here and there that did live up to my sonic expectations... but they weren't recorded with Alsihad.

This isn't some 'analog vs. digital' thing... the project I'm working on at the moment is being recorded in the digital domain... at this point I'm quite pleased with the way it sounds... but there are still some overdubs left to do, and it ain't mixed yet so there is still plenty of time left to fuck it up if I'm not careful.

Maybe I'm just too fuckin' picky about my audio... and about things like 'performance'... I mean the beauty of Alsihad really lies in the fact that you can cut, paste, move, cajole, auto-tune, correct, and white wash any and all soul out of a performance... might as well strip the depth and dimension of the audio while we're in there... what the hell.

I have to say that I wholeheartedly agree with "PeeTee"... you should definitely make your own decision(s) about anything you do... without some salesweasel asshole steering you in one direction or the other.

That goes for your enjoyment, or lack of enjoyment of Alsihad, for the mics you choose, and/or the compressors you use, how you decide to arrange the bridge or whether you opt for a bagpipe solo... it's your work, not the weasel's.

There are several tons of weasels making a ton of money (commissioned weasels) on the Alsihad 192 HD "advancement"... and bully for them. The only question I have is whether people are buying into this because they feel they "have to", or because they "want to". Is this myth? Is this reality? I've had a schmuck from a label tell me that I had to do the record in Alsihad to "be current"... I declined the gig (one of the bonus's of having a day gig is that I can turn down any project I think is going to be more of a pain in the balls than fun... how about you? Can you do that 'PeeTee'?).

I reckon, in the long run our firm derives a greater benefit from people buying into Alsihad... as they seem to come around looking for ways to improve their audio after they've had the system a while. I guess as a true weasel, I should be praising the addition of Alsihad as it assists the other kit our store does pimp to move off the shelves.

BTW... "popstar"... a little advice when doing 'comedy', if a joke doesn't work the first time, explaining it doesn't help.

Fletcher
Mercenary Audio

Roscoe Ambel once said:
P
Gold Member
Gold Member
P
Ah, yet more "fletchulence".

Don't you guys just love it when we push fletch and mixerman to the point of having to post these LONG posts! This must take these guys some real time.

Love it....

Lance Bass

V
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
V
I have a love/hate relationship with Pro Tools. I love that it gets me work. But, until it's internal mix structure (digital summing) can sound like an SSL, then it's just an editor with some fx. It's just a box.

I recently went to the PT HD demo. The presenter was talking about capturing clarity and nuances in a recording with HD. Whatever! I can capture clarity and nuance with an ADAT. The ADAT still sounds like shit! As an editor with cool FX, nothing can touch Pro Tools.

M
M
Quote:
Originally posted by popstar:
Ah, yet more "fletchulence".

Don't you guys just love it when we push fletch and mixerman to the point of having to post these LONG posts! This must take these guys some real time.

Love it....

Lance Bass
Personally, I'm in the middle of making a record right now with a band that sold 3,000,000 copies of their last record. Go figure, I can record 10-12 hours a day, AND write posts addressing inane little popstars.

Psst. There's 24 hours in a day. And I spend only an hour a day doing this.

Give it up dude.

Mixerman
Got Aslihad?

U
U
Quote:
If by listening to something, and determining that it is of no use to my work I am to
be considered a "hater"... then a "hater" I must be...
-Fletcher

nope. you are not a hater cause you don't like protools. what makes you a hater is the way you and your buddy push your geeked out "alsihad" negative pr campaign.

L
L
Mixerman wrote:

Quote:
Personally, I'm in the middle of making a record right now with a band that sold 3,000,000 copies of their last record. Go figure, I can record 10-12 hours a day, AND write posts addressing inane little popstars.
I knew sooner or later Mixerman would get sloppy. The 3,000,000 copy thing clinched it. ;-)

After much triangulation, investigation and consultation with various sources (thanks to all involved), I am ready to take a preliminary guess at who Mixerman is.

My best *guess* (at the moment) is:

Mixerman is Rich Costey.

Rationale:

From equipment descriptions, the smart money is betting that Mixerman works regularly at Cello in LA (Cello has Neves stacked to the rafters).

Cello keeps an update of who is working in each each of their rooms on the web (I believe it was just updated yesterday or today).

At the moment, there are only two actual "bands" recording at Cello (the rest are individual artists), Red Hot Chili Peppers and Rage Against the Machine.

Checking the RIAA records, Red Hot Chili Peppers' last CD was certified Multi Platinum Level 7.0. Rage Against the Machine's last project, however, was certified Multi Platinum Level 3.0 (i.e. 3,000,000 copies).

BINGO

Mixerman also stated that he "was in the middle of making a record," and the Rage Against the Machine project is reported by Cello to be in the overdubbing phase.

Rich Costey's credits are also very diverse, as Mixerman's would have to be (because he obviously speaks from a wide range of experience).

He's also been in the big leagues for only several years (an old pro most likely wouldn't be doing such aggressive posturing).
--------
(BTW, prior to this slip, the speculation was also high that Mixerman could have been Tom Rothrock or Jim Scott. Tom Rothrock, however, probably IS too big and important to have time for so much internet activity [he works for Beck]. A friend of mine who knows Jim Scott assured me that Jim Scott is an extremely mellow guy.)

-------DISCLAIMER-------
My sincerest and humblest apology to Rich Costey if he is NOT Mixerman.

Lee Blaske

C
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
C
Mixerman is not Rich Costey, but neither am I for that matter.

This thread reminds me of that poster that says, "Arguing on the internet is like competing in the Special Olympics: even if you win, you're a retard."

E

Eric Vincent (ASCAP)
F
F
Quote:

[QUOTE]BTW, Candace doesn't know who the hell you are. So what studio is it that you own?

Mixerman
I first met Candace as a client at Buddy's SC. She may or may not remember me. Now I am the proud owner of: ProTools Palace off of 3rd St near Crescent Heights and ProTools Place near Sepulveda and Venice. Even though you're just starting on your ProTools quest, you should stop by sometime. I'm sure even you might find my setups interesting...

Frank

MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I have known "retards" (the usually fine folks also labelled, just as offensively, "developmentally disabled" and now even- "exceptional") with perfect pitch and tons of musical talent. I think it would be a fair guess that nature prepared a couple of these folks better for an appreciation of the finer points of music than at least a couple folks here. Nobody in particular.

I would stress to everyone that Alsihad is a healing name for an unfortunately named product line. This product line was originally named so ostentatiously as to render enjoyment a bit difficult- the name Alsihad renders enjoyment much easier, for at least some of us.
Of course the goal of every Alsihah is to transcend the hype and cheese and make actual enjoyable music with said product line. The name Alsihad reflects the exotic mystery that is not evident in the original, trite and rather crass name.

See my new topic for an account of a not so benign alternative take on the nomenclature of this infernal device.

I will say here that unbeknownst to MixerMan, and others, and very likely scrambling their attempts to objectively quantify and qualify the ProTools syndrome, a fine point needs to be appreciated, a point worthy of the first Vatican Council.

I heard this on the radio last night, so forgive and correct any anomalies.

The miracle of the communion, it is explained by the Roman Catholic Church, is a double miracle. The host is transformed into the body of christ in the following way- it's essence is changed, to be truly the body of christ, and it accidens, the appearance to all the coarse physical senses, of the host remains that of the common wafer it was before the double miracle.

Thus it is that in the transformation of ProTools to Alsihad, the accidens remains that of the common and so prevalent DAW in question, but the essence is completely and fundamentally altered- to that of Alsihad.

Ted

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau
C
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
C
Quote:
quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------

[QUOTE]BTW, Candace doesn't know who the hell you are. So what studio is it that you own?

Mixerman

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I first met Candace as a client at Buddy's SC. She may or may not remember me. Now I am the proud owner of: ProTools Palace off of 3rd St near Crescent Heights and ProTools Place near Sepulveda and Venice. Even though you're just starting on your ProTools quest, you should stop by sometime. I'm sure even you might find my setups interesting...

Frank
Frank, can I ring ya when I'm in LA? I'd like to check out your crib and your setup.

Eric Vincent
curvdominant@earthlink.net

Eric Vincent (ASCAP)
F
F
Quote:
Originally posted by Curve Dominant:
Quote:
quote:
Frank
Frank, can I ring ya when I'm in LA? I'd like to check out your crib and your setup.

Eric Vincent
curvdominant@earthlink.net
Damn, this "quote" thing gets outta hand. I hope this formats properly. Yes, Eric, give me a call when you're out...when are you coming? I will be in and out of town quite a bit over the next 3 months however....

Frank

L
L
Eric wrote:

Quote:
Mixerman is not Rich Costey, but neither am I for that matter.
Can you back that up with anything of substance?

If I'm not mistaken, I think Frank R.'s thread confirms that Mixerman is making small talk with Cello's studio manager (isn't that who Candace is?). If this establishes that fact, it was a sly move on Frank's part.

I guess it hinges on how recent the Cello page is.

http://www.cellostudios.com/recent.htm

The only group listed there (or artist for that matter) that recently went 3.0 Multi Platinum is Rage Against the Machine. (Somehow it's also fitting that Mixerman would be working on a project for a group with that name.) Could it possibly be the assistant engineer? I doubt it.

At any rate, if the list ISN'T recent (sorry Rich Costey!), we simply need to watch carefully to see the next time the page is updated.

I have no doubt that Mixerman wants to be discovered. The hints are getting bigger. He'll have his 15 minutes of fame soon.

Check out the Rich Costey Page:

http://members.loop.com/~microtoast/richcosteydiscography.html

Take a good look at the man posing in front of a Neve at Larrabee. Again, I could be TERRIBLY, TERRIBLY wrong, but I see mischief in those eyes. If this isn't Mixerman, it's a safe bet that he knows who Mixerman is (maybe that's what the mischief is about ;\) ).

Lee Blaske

MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Perhaps, Lee,
in your mischievious zeal,
you have failed to address the concept of the double miracle, in it's triple form.

host>body of christ
protools>alsihad
?>mixerman

Whosowhatever may Mixerman have been, and will be, when the trans-substantiation takes place, perhaps ? he may remain in his outer aspect, but in essence, he has undergone a sea change, into something rich, and strange....
Ted

V
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
V
If it's Rage, it's gonna see Pro Tools.

Who's producing? Gggarth?
Gggarth likes his Pro Tools.
Ben likes Gggarth's Pro Tools too.

C
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
C
Ya'll wanna hear sumptin' funny?

I once accidentally posted Mixerman's real name - on his own forum!

He emailed me to say, "I'm sorry but I had to edit that post..." I was like, "You're sorry??!!! That was a boneheaded move on MY part, YOU don't have to apologize."

We had been arguing about something on a thread - ProTools, perhaps - and in the heat of the moment I wasn't thinking and accidentally addressed him by name.

Several people have emailed me over the past year, asking me who he is. They usually give me a list engineers they think he is. None of them guessed right.

I'll only say that if you do find out, you will be surprised.

E

Eric Vincent (ASCAP)
L
L
Eric wrote:

Quote:
I'll only say that if you do find out, you will be surprised.
You don't mean to suggest that Mixerman is actually Mixerwoman, do you? ;\)

Actually, Eric, I think you might be throwing out some red herrings for us right now, trying to get us off track. I'm sure Mixerman will appreciate you running interference.

The bloodhounds, however, are baying at Cello's door. We know he's in there, and it's time to come out. Maybe it's not Rich Costey, but I think we're very warm.

Cello looks to be a really classy facility with a great deal of history, and I would doubt that they'd want to be closely associated with the level of controversy that Mixerman is stirring up.

Heck, we just want Mixerman to de-cloak and take ownership of his opinions. We're not out for blood or anything.

Lee Blaske

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  gm 

Link Copied to Clipboard