Music Player Network
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
How'd you guys single out this band to pile onto? With all the crap out there - somebody must like them, somebody must like Nsync - someone must like opera. I think all those opera dudes came from big money too.

VU - sort of reminds me of it superficially, but being the VU is a life-long project - someones else's life.

I'm not moved to rush out and buy it - today's music scene gives me a visual of concrete being poured into a wooden form - that exciting.

Steve Powell - Bull Moon Digital
http://www.bullmoondigital.com
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Quote:
Originally posted by popmusic:
It seems that a number of posters are taking issue not with the music, but with the fact the Strokes went to prep school... I think that's an interesting stance... I've started a thread about it over in Craig's forum here -- feel free to contribute and debate! \:\)

They got nothing on that: http://www.guitar.com/features/viewfeature.asp?featureID=37

Steve Powell - Bull Moon Digital
http://www.bullmoondigital.com
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
man, i just got back from seeing a killer band and now im drunk as hell. woo hoo. all i gotta say is rock is alive and well and it just rocked my town. not some overly slick produced band or some purposefully made lofi band, just pure power.

just got to love music that makes you feel alive.

alphajerk
FATcompilation
"if god is truly just, i tremble for the fate of my country" -thomas jefferson
C
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
C
Quote:
posted by Steve Powell:
How'd you guys single out this band to pile onto?

I still haven't heard them, so I can't speak for anyone else...but it's obvious that a lot of bullshit detectors went off.

I can just imagine the pitch in the A&R conference rooms..."They're so bad, it's ironic, and it's so ironic, it's brilliantly hip, and so if we hype the shit out of it, all the stupid little fuckers will eat it up like sugar from a spoon - jackpot!"

There is a fine line between art and garbage. On the other hand, there is no confusing boring art with interesting garbage. In all fairness to The Strokes, they are already successful in exploiting those distinctions. You have to hand them that.

I personally do not see the problem with discussing this type of phenomenon on these forums. This is OUR business, after all. We should not be shy or naive about facing up to the realities of our business. Sometimes, bullshit will sell, while talent flounders in obscurity. It keeps things in perspective to maintain a view of the big picture.

We spent months and 20+ pages tearing our hairs out and turning them grey over the pro's and con's of recording at 96K. Was it worth it? Hell, yeah, in my opinion. That was just one aspect of our business. This issue of The Strokes is another aspect entirely, but one just as worthy of dealing with, one that gets to what our purpose is (providing you have a purpose).

Eric Vincent
Curve Dominant Sound&Vision
curvdominant@earthlink.net

Eric Vincent (ASCAP)
http://www.curvedominant.com
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Just how did they get hyped so fast? What are they doing different?

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com
Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Quote:
Originally posted by Chip McDonald:
Just how did they get hyped so fast? What are they doing different?

Influential rich parents, with the right connections.

IMDB Credit list
President George Washington: "The government of the United States is in no sense founded on the Christian Religion."
President Abraham Lincoln: "The Bible is not my book, nor Christianity my religion."
S
S
I think some posters from another thread ( memory is shot here...) have uncovered the Strokes next album title

"Zapping the P-RAM"

gets my vote..

UNmitigated dogshit it is.... however, I am with curve, the PR guy is a smart fella apparently... I group him with the guy who first saw a brown ooze dripping from a canadian tree and said.. hmmmm.. looks good.. lets put it in bottles and tell folk to cover thier pancakes with it!

wait.. I like maple syrup.. it has a point...

Steve

MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I heard the Strokes got their name from what they're doing to the music industry. \:D

----------------------------
Phil Mann
http://www.wideblacksky.com
K
K
I'm impressed that these guys can start such a big, contentious thread here. All I've heard is the single, do they have better songs? It's nice to see a major label getting somewhere with such a low-key band. The single doesn't kill me, but if they knock the Linkin Biskit bands off the charts, I'll be their biggest fan. \:D

MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Quote:
Originally posted by Henchman:

Influential rich parents, with the right connections.

Really? What's the story?

J
J
Pardon my french but this Band plays Dickhead Music.Drugs can't make this good!

Jeremy du Bois, http://www.jeremydubois.com
Rog Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Quote:
Originally posted by Chip McDonald:

Really? What's the story?

Boarding school in Switzerland, the singer's dad founded the Elite Modelling Agency, the guitarist's dad is Albert Hammond, etc.

I don't know why people are pissed off at this, if you are please extend your scorn towards Joe Strummer (son of an ambassador) Paul McCartney (rich, middle class parents) Beck, Julian Lennon, Dweezil Zappa and just about anyone who wasn't born in the gutter.

"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Quote:
Originally posted by Rog:

Boarding school in Switzerland, the singer's dad founded the Elite Modelling Agency, the guitarist's dad is Albert Hammond, etc.

I don't know why people are pissed off at this, if you are please extend your scorn towards Joe Strummer (son of an ambassador) Paul McCartney (rich, middle class parents) Beck, Julian Lennon, Dweezil Zappa and just about anyone who wasn't born in the gutter.

I think the BIG differnce here, is that the above artists actually made some good, and some great records. I have absolutely no problem where people come from. Great msic is Great music. But the Strokes suck big fat Donkey Di%^^ck.

IMDB Credit list
President George Washington: "The government of the United States is in no sense founded on the Christian Religion."
President Abraham Lincoln: "The Bible is not my book, nor Christianity my religion."
F
F
I cant believe there was a bidding war over this shite. That one song was intruiging when i first heard it, then i saw the video and turned it off because i couldnt bear to hear anymore. My band works our young asses off and no one is bidding over us like mad. And im trying to follow all the right business practices of being an indie artist. http://www.mp3.com/faust65 http://www.loudenergy.com (we are the number 4 alternative band) Thats about the best thing we got going for us, our stats on loudenergy.com and occasionally mp3.com. Now a new good band that I heard was Remy Zero, the album production isnt A++++ but the music is good. Were trying to get an opening spot with these guys when they pass thru here again.

**Faust65**

**Faust65**
T
T
Ok, I bit. I followed your needless plug of your band out of sure curiosity. That said, my guess is that if everyone who chose to bash these 20 year old kids (who just happened to have successful dads AND who here didn't know that contacts and "who you know" were not part of the game anyway - whatever.) Just put your own music up as a substitute for the Strokes. My guess is this thread ends soon.

PS. I love strong opinions about music. I have many. But as I asked earlier, if you are going to bash someone, at least back yourself up with some rational thought. Like maybe what you don't like about them OR discuss it from some point of intelligence. Henchman, if I'm not mistaken (I could be), I've learned quite a bit about the process of post for film via your posts. What's with the Donkey Dick crack? I'm going to think twice about bashing the likes of Smash Mouth, Back Streets, N-Syncs, Metallicas, Tools, Limp Bisquits virtually all I don't jive with just because it's not my style. It won't affect what I think. I'll just keep it to my damn self.

I'm going to go buy this damn Strokes album and it better suck. And I ask George once again, what did you not like about them. Production? Songwriting?

gm Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
Quote:
Originally posted by winterrae@mindspring.com:
[...]
I'm going to go buy this damn Strokes album and it better suck. And I ask George once again, what did you not like about them. Production? Songwriting?

yo w...

let me see if i remember what put me off on the Strokes CD. first, after listening to at least three cuts top to bottom i didn't hear any sounds that were in any way (for lack of a better word) gratifying or even interesting. i mean, not a guitar tone, not a drum sound, not a vocal. not one texture. also, i did not hear any good songwriting (not that there are THAT many good songwriters working, but still one can set one's standards high...) finally, i never got a sense of a groove. no feel. no communication between cats. nada. finally, (and this may get me in trouble) the musicianship is some number of notches below competent (my rule of thumb is that if i could play these instruments myself it can't be all that good).

what this left me thinking was that the production was deployed - focused, even - with the intent of pissing off guys like me. now, this is definitely a valid production tool - many have successfully employed this trick over the years to, among other things, dilineate the generation gap. but, hey, am I then supposed to LIKE it? give me a fucking break.

but, i'd love to be proven wrong. yes, please buy the CD and enlighten me.

George

George Massenburg

http://www.massenburg.com
gm Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
Quote:
Originally posted by winterrae@mindspring.com:
[...]

yo w...

let me see if i remember what put me off on the Strokes CD. first, after listening to at least three cuts top to bottom i didn't hear any sounds that were in any way (for lack of a better word) gratifying or even interesting. i mean, not a guitar tone, not a drum sound, not a vocal. not one texture. also, i did not hear any good songwriting (not that there are THAT many good songwriters working, but still one can set one's standards high...) finally, i never got a sense of a groove. no feel. no communication between cats. nada. finally, (and this may get me in trouble) the musicianship is some number of notches below competent (my rule of thumb is that if i could play these instruments myself it can't be all that good).

what this left me thinking was that the production was deployed - focused, even - with the intent of pissing off guys like me. now, this is definitely a valid production tool - many have successfully employed this trick over the years to, among other things, dilineate the generation gap. but, hey, am I then supposed to LIKE it? give me a fucking break.

but, i'd love to be proven wrong. yes, please buy the CD and enlighten me.

George

George Massenburg

http://www.massenburg.com
D
D
If I may:

Quote:
Originally posted by gm:

first, after listening to at least three cuts top to bottom i didn't hear any sounds that were in any way (for lack of a better word) gratifying or even interesting. i mean, not a guitar tone, not a drum sound, not a vocal. not one texture.

. . and what is puzzling is that this sounds like exactly like what they were gunning for. There are a few points in some songs that almost become interesting. But they seemed to pull back on purpose. Always zigging to keep the audience zagging.

To me, that is the nub of the problem, they went totally for a fashion statement . . as if to say "well, you know anything that truly rocks or truly connects emotionally with the audience is just so you know, outdated and stuff your parents listened to"

Quote:
also, i did not hear any good songwriting (not that there are THAT many good songwriters working, but still one can set one's standards high...) finally, i never got a sense of a groove. no feel. no communication between cats. nada.

Bingo.

To me it sounds like they mixed all that soul out of the album. Like anything remotely resembling heart, feeling, power or communication was mixed out of all the tracks.

The Strokes album appears like some kind of art in a gallery where you are laughed at if you don't "get it" . . .

Quote:
finally, (and this may get me in trouble) the musicianship is some number of notches below competent (my rule of thumb is that if i could play these instruments myself it can't be all that good).

This I would, if I may, strongly disagree with you. To my ears it sounds like the bass player can play, the drummer can play and the guitar dude can play. And, they can play as a band. But all the blood has been bled from the production.

If you compare them to the old Ramones records, they could not play as well as the Strokes, and yet the Ramones burst out of the vinyl grooves because of their heart, their attitude. But other New York bands experience the same problem. To satisfy the (hip and trendy) New York scene, you have to not be like anything else. . .

So to me it sounds so much like a pose, like a stance and a fashion statement. You hear snippets of their songs (or recreations) in all sorts of ads aimed at twenty-somethings. They were attempting to go the Stereolab route or possibly the Fugs route . . . but it doesn't come off as believable.

I think if somebody like Lenny Kravitz had produced the album, the songs would have . . . connected.

But maybe they subscribe to some arty theory like "in these disconnected times of disconnected email and cell phones and people talking but not communicating, the Strokes provide the very disconnecte soundtrack to a world not in touch with anyone or anything"

To me, my opinion is that it is totally a snobby album made by little snobby rich kids that simply loathe any kind of reference to music. You can tell they simply hate Springsteen or Nirvana or Weezer or any other band.

I used to know kids like this during the (original) punk era. There were kids from the east end of town trying to make punk music, but the kids from the west side of town were the only punks that could afford to buy instruments.

And the kids from the west side adopted this whole punk attitude and would go around stirring up trouble ~ but soley because it was hip to do so, and trendy to be a punk. Later on the west side punks were seen driving in BMWs and Lexus SUVs.

Kid Rock is much more in tune with his audience, and knows how to make real music that communicates.

But the Strokes are art . .

Oh yeah? That's fine for you, you're an accepted member of the entertainment community. What about me? What about Igor? Marginalized by Hollywood yet again. I want my Mummy . . .
M
m2 Offline
M
[ 02-14-2002: Message edited by: macle96@yahoo.com ]

T
T
I'm just curious, but did anyone ever hear of these guys before they were signed?

I ask cause I live and play in New York and know a lot of other people in bands and no one heard of these guys before they read about them or heard the record.

I guess that's what kind of bugs me. There's a couple of cool scenes in NYC with some good to great bands playing them, working hard and no one ever gets anywhere. Then out of nowhere................

Z
Z
Quote:
Originally posted by faust65:
I cant believe there was a bidding war over this shite. That one song was intruiging when i first heard it, then i saw the video and turned it off because i couldnt bear to hear anymore. My band works our young asses off and no one is bidding over us like mad. And im trying to follow all the right business practices of being an indie artist. http://www.mp3.com/faust65 http://www.loudenergy.com (we are the number 4 alternative band) Thats about the best thing we got going for us, our stats on loudenergy.com and occasionally mp3.com. Now a new good band that I heard was Remy Zero, the album production isnt A++++ but the music is good. Were trying to get an opening spot with these guys when they pass thru here again.

**Faust65**

First, let me say that Remy Zero has been around for years and made several albums (in fact Radiohead named them an early influence).

As far as the Strokes go, I agree with most here that they are crap. I'm a young guy, so I get them, but they're still crappy. It's nothing more than the Emperor's new clothes where everyone says it's great so it must be, right? The reason they're getting hyped is that they're aping cool underground bands like the Stooges and Velvet Underground. In the end the Strokes will be nothing more than another name on a long list of "buzz" bands that never lived up to the hype and were quickly forgotten.

F
F
I did know that Remy has been around for a long while, but thanks for the fact about Radiohead, I didnt know that. Its pretty cool. What I more so meant though, was a break about band in the public eye (As in, they have been around but are new to the nation, not just to their fan base). I have been a remy fan for a good long time. Have met them and they are also really great guys. Another band whom I think is lacking in recognition on a wonderfully created and produced album is Ours. Just for the record, I was using my band as an example, not to plug the band.

**Faust65**

**Faust65**
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Quote:
Originally posted by Rog:

IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH NOT BEING BORN IN THE GUTTER.

It has to do with whether they got to where they were because of having influential parents IN THE BUSINESS. They SUCK. if if they weren't hooked up they wouldn't have been signed. There's nothing there.

Very telling, though.

I know "cool" people in my town that are even calling their bluff. There's nothing there. I just talked to some people that saw them last night, the verdict: basically they didn't like them, and they really weren't exactly playing anything... they were "jamming" in a very ambiguous way.

These guys make Oasis seem like Frank Zappa's band. That's ok, this might be the straw that finally breaks the camel's back... Even the trendy people see through this.

Rog Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chip McDonald:
[QB]

IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH NOT BEING BORN IN THE GUTTER.

It has to do with whether they got to where they were because of having influential parents IN THE BUSINESS. They SUCK. if if they weren't hooked up they wouldn't have been signed. There's nothing there.

Very telling, though."

I was making the point that there are a lot of people who, to a greater or lesser extent, are 'connected' to people in the industry either by blood or acquaintance. Should we listen only to those who made it 100% on their own?

From the recent posts I'm getting a strong feeling that all this anger is sour grapes along the lines of 'why couldn't it have been MY band that got all this attention'.

Well, tuff shit, that's the way it happens; get used to it because it's getting worse. These posts mostly seem to be along the lines of 'they suck' or other in depth critiques of the Strokes' music. If you don't like them personally for their enviable success and/or background, then fine. If you don't like the music, then fine. I'd just like to know how they've touched so many nerves around here .... maybe that's the secret to their success? I bet some people who have read this thread have one and bought the album just to find out what all the fucking fuss is about ;\)

Sure, the production leaves a lot to be desired but I don't ALWAYS want to hear music recorded thru SP modded mics, GM EQs, etc etc (no offense to those guys) because that would be very boring. I guess the album sounds like it was recorded in a garage to get closer to the sound of the bands the Strokes are influenced by.

"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.
Z
Z
Quote:
Originally posted by faust65:
I did know that Remy has been around for a long while, but thanks for the fact about Radiohead, I didnt know that. Its pretty cool. What I more so meant though, was a break about band in the public eye (As in, they have been around but are new to the nation, not just to their fan base). I have been a remy fan for a good long time. Have met them and they are also really great guys. Another band whom I think is lacking in recognition on a wonderfully created and produced album is Ours. Just for the record, I was using my band as an example, not to plug the band.

**Faust65**

Great call about Ours. I couldn't agree more. I've seen them live twice, and Jimmy's voice is hands down the most powerful male voice I've ever heard.

MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
the only thing SP needs to modify is himself. that fucker for supposedly being so smart is dumb as shit sometimes. his music is 100x's shittier than the strokes.

alphajerk
FATcompilation
"if god is truly just, i tremble for the fate of my country" -thomas jefferson
-
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
-
Quote:
Originally posted by macle96@yahoo.com:
At least they are a band, and not a "boy band".

if it doesn't sound good to you now, it probably won't ever, and if something doesn't sound good to you, maybe turn it off or change the channel and listen to something you like. \:\)

Agreed. What I've heard of the Strokes doesn't do anything for me, but I'm not begrudging the buzz they have. I mean, how often are the "best" artists the most popular or the ones with the most promotional $$$ behind them? It's pretty rare, IMO.

My fear with mainstream music is that everyone's gonna get so used to hearing Autotune, sampled everything, and Pro Tooled-to-death performances, that so-called "regular" music (with no Autotune, no samples, and no "micro editing") will sound like it's some quaint relic from another planet. In other words, a good chunk of what's considered mainstream has moved soooooo far away from resembling what humans are capable of performing that I worry that people will forget what the human voice sounds like when it's singing (even when it's singing badly!).

The Strokes don't bother me -- they're just kinda not relevant to anything I'm interested in. But hey -- if that's what millions of people end up buying, even if it's because of hype, I'm all for it. I'd rather see folks get into that rather than a boy band that couldn't sound presentable without the technology aiding them every step of the way.

D
D
To macle96@yahoo.com, sir:

Quote:
I don't know (anything), but maybe you guys are analyzing it too much. It ain't exactly Beethoven or jazz (it's only rock n roll, which, btw, really should be dead, shouldn't it?).

If I may respond sir, but a)Analyzing it is what we do, why we are here and b)nobody has so far said it was Beethovan or Jazz or have thus far compared it to either. And if you are not analyzing the music, the media and the business, then you are probably believing everything you read or are spoon fed on Entertainment Tonight.

c)It is not rock'n'roll. I think this is the main point of contention with everyone. The Strokes are being hyped as a return to rock'n'roll, a return to "ignorance is bliss" kind of music. But in the end the Strokes are not being honest. Kid Rock is more honest, Oasis is more honets about their music.

That the Strokes "metion people like Buddy Holly" only seems to add to the pretention. Any one can name drop, anyone can talk a good game.

And Rock'n'Roll is not imhfo a genre of music that is ever outdated. Rock'n'Roll has been with us all through our existence. It was there as we danced around the fire. From time to time it gets covered over in cleverness or hides away. But Rock'n'Roll simply is unfiltered emotional expression and could take the form of Gene Krupa or Buddy Holly or Louis Armstrong or Miles Davis or Elvis Presley or Andre Bocceli or Keith Moon or Springsteen or The Band or Keith Richards or Jerry Lee Lewis or

Rock'n'Roll ~ in that sense of the word is but a name we call one rose we can otherwise not pin a name to.

But Rock'n'Roll is not a toe-tag down at the morgue. Maybe it is a toe-tag on the soul of your being, but not mine.

Quote:
At least they are a band, and not a "boy band"

I agree with you there. And that is what I hoped to find when I bought the record. I resisted the hype as long as I could because hype has come and gone with so many bands in the past. From what I read, I thought "maybe" these guys will deliver. And I was almost swept up on first listen.

But no, these guys appear to be faking it. As a comparison, Wilco or Crooked Fingers are closer to the true spirit of rock'n'roll.

I guess the thing that pisses me off, and others here, is that we are being told to believe this is the real thing, that the Strokes are rock'n'roll. We are being told to suspend our instinct, to suspend our reactions. Yes, they are the Emperor's New Clothes, and quite frankly, I am getting sick and tired of the parade of Naked New Kings going by.

From all the hype and media, I did expect a rock record. But by their deliberately going out of their way to sound like a bad garage band, they lost me. Would it have been a crime to sound half-way decent? Would it have been a crime for them to have let loose and gone balls-to-the-wall on a couple of songs? It sounds at all times like they are posing, affecting a posture of 'ugly rock'n'rollers' ~ which makes N'Sync more honest as a band. They aren't pretending to be anything.

I don't want to live in the past, I don't want there to only be the old records to listen to. But so far it seems rare that any new young band has any emotional communication, any true fire in their heart, any true fearless, honest, unfiltered, complete letting go.

But that's just my opinion.

Oh yeah? That's fine for you, you're an accepted member of the entertainment community. What about me? What about Igor? Marginalized by Hollywood yet again. I want my Mummy . . .
M
m2 Offline
M
[ 02-14-2002: Message edited by: macle96@yahoo.com ]

F
F
just ignore it and it will go away.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  gm 

Link Copied to Clipboard