Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#446582 07/02/01 08:01 AM
N
Nickie Offline OP
OP Offline
N
I recently acquired Steinberg's Mastering Edition, and I was wondering if anybody out there had any links or info on it. Also, What am I looking for? Should my approach be musical or scientific? I'm sure it's probably somewhere in the middle. But, if I or someone else does a mix, why do I need to do "Multi-band dynamics" why wouldn't simple eq work? Am I going for a flat 20Hz-20Khz, 0.3db or what ever the standard is?

#446583 07/02/01 08:58 AM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
You're not going to find any 1,2,3.. steps in mastering. Mastering is the most misunderstood process in the evolution of artist's material to the finished sellable product. Mastering does three main things generally: adds consistency from one song to the next song on the record, adds clarity and dare I say "punch", and in modern music, boosts perceived volume. Multiband Dynamics allow you to tame certain specific frequency ranges with compression allowing you to pull down or move a specific instrument or tonal balance more upfront in the mix. EQ alone won't add consistent level to the bottom end if the bass player had inadequate technique. But remember, just because you have the toys doesn't mean you should use them on every song. The least processing you can do to accomplish what needs to be done is the best aproach. Good luck!
Matt

No matter how good something is, there will always be someone blasting away on a forum somewhere about how much they hate it.
#446584 07/02/01 01:55 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Moderated by  gm 

Link Copied to Clipboard