Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
F
Gold Member
OP Offline
Gold Member
F
I'm looking for a mic, preamp, and compressor, for $6500 total. The material these will be used for will be exclusively for male rock singing, with dynamics ranging from whispers to screams. I don't desire transparency since my digital console provides that. The base frequencies are not very important, but I want moderate richness/smoothness in the mids, and a nice airy/sparkly top. I'm seeking opinions because I will be buying the triad to be used with each other n' so I want the most harmonious pairing. There's a lot of posts here about these components, but most all of them were discussions on the merits of the indidual piece. Thanks much.

If you live in the Washington Metro area, check out Slave Audio
C
C
Pick-up a HHb series voice processor and maybe a CAD 77 or MXL V77s (Marshall) all under $1000...take the rest of the $ and vacation...rent the "big" stuff when the client can afford it...

C
C
I use the BLUE Blueberry for most all vocals...find the right spot--and this is a spectacular mic

MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I'd say a Neumann 103 or tube 147 and a TC Gold Channel and your're done and still have a good beer and Scotch budget left over. Or get another mic for the other channel.

I use one with a 149 tube mic and it is very nice. If you need a handheld, the KMS140/150 or 105. I've used the 140 live and it kicks.

Steve Powell - Bull Moon Digital
http://www.bullmoondigital.com
P
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
P
M149 and Focusrite Producer pack
M149 and Manley VoxBox

Jules

Jules
Producer Julian Standen
London, UK,
Come hang here! http://www.gearslutz.com
S
S
Try this very low budget:
Shure KSM32 cardioid condenser
SPL Goldmike 2chann Valve preamp (great...)
Any dbx compressor....

O
O
A little off topic reply: I had the Focusrite "producer pack" here. It failed after 3 hours (but sounded great during those 3 hours). Reminded me a little of my old British car the MGB. During the 2 years I owned the MGB I was able to drive it 6 months only - but what a glorious drive it was...

Overdrive
Q
Q
Faeflora,

In addition to one of the following (M147, U87, C414, or C4000B)mic.'s, and some of the previous mic. pre-amps listed in the earlier posts (Focusrite "Producer Pack", TC Electronics "Gold Channel", & Manley "Vox Box"), check out the Avalon "VT737SP", & the new AMEK "CIB"("Channel In A Box")!

Quantum!

[This message has been edited by Quantum (edited 05-30-2000).]

Moderated by  gm 

Link Copied to Clipboard