Music Player Network
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#434247 03/30/00 07:26 PM
D
OP Offline
D
I have a new Tascam DAT that records in 24bit and am wondering if I will sound better recording in 24bit then edit in pro tools and end up in 16bit on a CD. I was thinking of copying the 24bit DAT over to 30ips analog then into pro tools. Would this help the final CD sound better or should I just record in 16bit to start with on the DAT? I record our band "heads up" at our theatre then fix what I can in pro tools. Thank you dean billingsley

#434248 04/02/00 04:47 AM
gm Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Hi Dean,

I suppose the final answer lies in what sort of work you do on the 24bit files, but the short and simple for me is, "Keep as much precision for as long as you can."

If you edit in ProTools and, for instance, adjust levels upwards to any degree (including any sort of EQ), you'll benefit from the "extra" precision. This sounds deceptively simple, but if you "turn up" a 16 bit file 6dB, you have, in effect, truncated the resolution to 15 bits.

By the same token, if you turn levels down 6dB (and you're not otherwise truncating and dithering), you may well take advantage of the resultant 17 bit word width.

Hope I'm not confusing you.

George

George Massenburg

http://www.massenburg.com

Moderated by  gm 

Link Copied to Clipboard