Music Player Network
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 2
J
Member
OP Offline
Member
J
Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 2
George,
Two brief questions. Most project studio mixes seem to suffer from too much bottom end. Is this a common problem and is the remedy simply subtractive low end EQing or is there another fix? Secondly, is it true that you cranked the flux level on the tape machine way up to record slide solos for the Little Feat albums? Truth or myth?
Thanks,
John

Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 5
N
Member
Offline
Member
N
Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 5
My "top two" would be that people are trying to compensate for the deficient low end in many studio monitors (especially those famous "Y" brand ones with the white cones), and that they're expecting the same "smiley face EQ curve" from their studio monitors that they probably have their home and car stereos set to. It's a good idea to get your ears used to a new pair of monitors by listening to a bunch of CD's you're painfully familiar with for a while before trying to mix your own music on them, and to compare the relative frequency "balance" of your mix with other CD's you like before commiting to a final mix. And, of course, there's no substitute to good ol' PRACTICE.

Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 2,184
gm Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 2,184
Hmmm.

I wouldn't agree that project studios 'suffer from too much bottom' as much as they suffer from severe peaks and dips in low and low-mid acoustic instruments. IMNSHO, this is most often due to the inability to avoid or control the effects of low ceilings/small rooms when doing mic'ed recording.

Yes, we did alot of 'hot press' recording with Lowell. Used to set the machine to +20 or so, so as not to 'bend' the VU meters. Also, the crosstalk to adjacent tracks was a killer on 24 track, although less so on 16 tk.

As Peter Lorre said of Spencer Tracy after he died, "I miss him everyday." There's seldom a week that goes by that I don't look at some new technology and say, "Hey, I wonder what Lowell would do with THAT."

George


George Massenburg

http://www.massenburg.com
Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 7,950
MP Hall of Fame Member
Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 7,950
ive always wondered how 90% of the people are wrong by adjusting their EQ to a smiley face? shouldnt it be the other way around, that the 10% audiophile population is painfully wrong??? maybe all the mixes out there dont have ENOUGH bottom end and the majority is adjusting for what it lacks...


alphajerk
FATcompilation
"if god is truly just, i tremble for the fate of my country" -thomas jefferson

Moderated by  gm 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5