Music Player Network
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#434204 03/16/00 08:15 PM
C
OP Offline
C
I'm confused on something, hope you can help.
I own a Layla 20bit audio card. I want to record and mix in 24bit though.
One of the things I have on my shopping list is an Apogee Rosetta converter.

Is it true that by utilizing the Apogee that I could indeed send a 24/96 signal into the computer and it would bypass the Layla PCI converter?

Or, do I need to purchase another audio card that supports 24/96?

Thank you

#434205 03/16/00 08:39 PM
M
M
The S/PDIF digital I/O on the Layla does support 24-bit operation, although not 96 kHz. The internal data path is 24-bit. Using Rosetta will let you get 24-bit audio into the computer. If you want to get 24-bit audio back out, you'll need another external D/A converter.

A new version of Layla has been announced by Echo that adds 24/96 support for both analog and digital I/O.

------------------
Mitch Gallagher
Editor
EQ magazine

the poster formerly known as MitchG formerly known as EQ_Editor
#434206 03/17/00 12:10 AM
C
OP Offline
C
Thanks for the advice but once more for the dummies as they say!

So, with a 20bit audio card like the Layla you can infact get 24/96 into the computer bypassing the layla pci but if you wish to send your final mix song out to a dat at 24 bit, you would need a second Rosetta, right?

But, if you wish to mix in 24/96 and then mix down to 16/44.1 to burn a CD, all within the computer, one Rosetta would suffice, correct?

Sorry, one more question. I have been told that although you can dither down to 16 bits for CD within a software program like Wavelab that you get poor quality, something to do with alaising??
If this is true, is this another reason for getting two Rosettas?

Thanks so much for your info.

#434207 03/17/00 07:22 PM
M
M
Layla supports 20-bit conversion via its analog I/O. Its S/PDIF port supports up to 24-bit/48kHz operation. There is no way to get 24-bit/96kHz audio through the current Layla.

Rosetta only offers analog-to-digital conversion, so you can get 24-bit/44.1 or 48kHz audio into the computer using it. But you'll need another box to convert the full 24-bit digital signal back to analog (if you want or need to). If you're burning a CD within the computer, you're correct, this isn't an issue.

"Poor quality" is a very subjective term. Try it yourself and compare: listen to the original 24-bit file, then listen to the one that's been dithered down to 16 bits. I think you'll find that something like Wavelab does a pretty darn good job. A second Rosetta won't help with word length reduction.

------------------
Mitch Gallagher
Editor
EQ magazine

the poster formerly known as MitchG formerly known as EQ_Editor

Moderated by  gm 

Link Copied to Clipboard