Music Player Network
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#434180 03/11/00 12:04 PM
W
OP Offline
W
What are you listening for when you evaluate a track for eq, compression? In other words, are you listening just for excessive peaks, unique character, an instrument with a level that isn't consistent, or "?".

How do you deal with a disparity in the difference between the way a mic sounds and the actual "real life" sound? Are you eq'ing for realism, or to make something sit in a mix? I know you are picking mic's to complement an instrument; but are you thinking in terms of emphasizing a certain dominant frequency in the instrument or balancing it?

#434181 03/12/00 09:30 PM
gm Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
hmmm. a pretty open-ended question, i'd say.

it's really hard for me to listen to music for pure enjoyment, I'm sorry to say. Hard for me NOT to try to pick a performance apart - deconstruct a recording - and micro-evaluate features within a piece of work. criticizing processing is a bit of an obsession with me, and i'd like to think i've gotten pretty good at it.

so, thinking about it, the most impressive things that i hear these days are those recordings that somehow *resist* this effort... recordings with staggering integrity, or overweening art, or provocative idiosyncrasies really get my attention. recordings of great beauty and detail.

i've recently heard a rough from an artist i really respect, Jennifer Warnes. she's taken several years to make a stunning new record, which i hope to mix.

i don't need to tell you, there's not an auto-tuned track anywhere in sight.

on the issue of "real sounds": after i listen to what a given instrument sounds like out in the studio or on the stage, and listen to a demo (if available) and find out where a project is going, i'm pretty much trying to match some sound or sounds to what's going on in my head, and trying to get it closer and closer to that. how i do it is more explained by Al Schmidt: "i just turn the knobs till it sounds right."

George

George Massenburg

http://www.massenburg.com

Moderated by  gm 

Link Copied to Clipboard