Music Player Network
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
F
Fazed Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Hey there George...thank you guys for providing this forum. I recently bought a Tascam 85-16B 1" analog 16 track reel to reel machine that is in mint condition. My first question is...underneath the 16 record on/off buttons, which is common to most reel to reel machines Ive seen, there are 16 buttons that are labeled...SYNC=button down and INPUT=button up. Ive only used it in the INPUT position so far,but would like to find out the function of the SYNC position....which leads into my next question. I would like to find out if its feasible to sync the reel to reel machine to my computer. Ive been recording music with my computer for a little while...using a Sound Blaster Live Platinum sound card...and usually Cakewalk or Sound Forge software. The reel to reel has a sync receptacle in the back...a rectanguar 6 pin receptacle labeled SYNCLOCK. Hope this isnt overkill...but heres whats said about it in the manual..."The 85-16B uses a reference signal produced by the internal quartz oscillator to phase lock the capstan motor. The SYNC LOCK RECEPTACLE also has an EXT FREQ IN connector allowing an exterior phase lock; consequently, it also has an IN-EXT connector permitting selection of either the inner reference signal or the exterior one." Ok..I realize I probably need a piece of gear between the recorder and the computer...but just not sure what to do here. And how would you recommend the best way of getting someone at Tascam(someone told me they were sold to another company) to help me find that piece of gear...or if it can be bought third party...at least a way to find the cable I need for the sync receptacle on the reel to reel.
Forgive my ignorance in these matters....your help would be greatly appreciated.
Tork

gm Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Dear Tork,

This is way off topic for me, but let me try to help you a bit.

You've seen several instances of the word "SYNC" that should be, for all practical purposes, isolated. The "SYNC" position of the monitor switches changes the monitor source from the playback head to the record head, so that a new recording made while listening to other tracks being played back will come back in "sync" with the other tracks.

Th SYNCLOCK input is essential in syncing the machine, but is not, in and of itself, a synchronizer. In your case, you would require an external box that compares the SMPTE code that you're going to record (on one track of your 16 track) to the SMPTE code that's output by your DAW; this box then corrects the position of the analog machine such that it comes up "in sync" to the reference input (the DAW) - sometimes this requires a minute adjustment of the capstan speed, thus an external phase lock input.

Beyond that, I don't know who makes this Tascam-compatible synchronizer anymore, especially who makes one cheaply.

There must be someplace else to post this question - have you tried rec.audio.pro?

George

George Massenburg

http://www.massenburg.com
B
Gold Member
Gold Member
B
This is probably not the correct forum for it, but I do have all the scoop on 85-16b's, including synchronization. I've owned two of them since they hit the market in 1983. Let me know where to respond. Thanks.

Moderated by  gm 

Link Copied to Clipboard