Music Player Network
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
OP Offline
C
The other day I was at a friends studio. His set up is the same as mine. Hard disk based with a Layla audio card with an 03D mixer and samplers, E4Xultras.

He purchased a DBX 486 I think, a mic pre compressor with tubes. He made an instrumental track with acoustic guitar in Wavelab and had three takes of it.
One with the DBX in use. One with magneto plug and one without anything.

I did not know which one was which. He wanted my opinion on how much difference the DBX would make-
I could not tell which one was with the DBX.

The track I chose as the best quality turned out to be the one with Magneto used. But then again after listening for 10 minutes, clicking between the three tracks in real time I was wondering if I was hearing anything at all! The differences really could not be noticed. We were using good headphones.

So, if you do solely Midi to digital audio in cubase usign synths and samplers, are these extra hardware items of any use??

Or, is it just the poor quality of the audio card?

Any input would be appreciated.

J
J
Hi there Charlie,

First of all , I guess you are waiting for a reply made by George. Still I'dd like to say something about your question.
To begin with: If you wait for a couple of minutes and listen to all tracks one at a time, your brain will get used to all three sounds. So after a while things do start sounding the same. Listen again after a day or so, and you will notice the difference again.
Second: about magneto. If I do know this plug in, I thought it was made to give the feeling of a analog tape sound to digital recordings. It is not a valve simulator. So how does the DBX recording through magneto sound?
Last: How do the different tracks behave in a mix. Sometimes the best result when auditioning solo is the worst result in a mix.

Jan

[This message has been edited by Jan Pronk (edited 02-21-2000).]

Moderated by  gm 

Link Copied to Clipboard