Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#434102 02/17/00 12:23 AM
D
OP Offline
D
I hope someone can help with this:

Yesterday, a friend brought me a 12 track tune he recorded, and wondered if I could do something with the bass. It's very muddy and won't sit well at all. I've tried compression (-8 to -11 dB; attack 60ms-100ms; release 20-60ms; ratio 5:1 to 13:1) and nothing seems to help. He didn't know (?!?) which/how many mics were used in tracking, but from the sound I'm guessing that the cabinet was miced close and off-center with a dynamic mic plus a DI to the board. I've tried adding EQ in the 400-600 range, plus a little around 4k, but it just won't "work."

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Doug
Boston, MA

#434103 02/17/00 09:26 PM
gm Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
The first question I'd ask is, "What do you mean by 'work'"? The first thought I'd have is that the 'problem' may be musical rather than technical.

But, say it's not...

In general, this is the way I approach EQing bass. First, I listen carefully to whether the bass spectra is well 'shaped', i.e. whether there is a noticeable 'bump' in the response (as might come from a less-than-optimum bass cabinet), or even sharper peaks. I'll correct them by dipping with a parametric section or two or three, carefully choosiing frequency and Q. Now, the tricky part. If the bass was compressed AFTER it was (perhaps badly) EQed, then I'll usually compress it again, usually with one of my compressors but I'd also use a dbx if one of mine wasn't available.

Finally, I know of no 'magic' frequencies for bass...or anything else for that matter. I seldom find anything at 4kHz on a bass track, and would suggest that you sweep around to look for where there *might* be something resembling highs.

George

George Massenburg

http://www.massenburg.com
#434104 02/20/00 08:09 PM
K
K
I assume you've checked that the L/R channels are in phase. Thi applies to the master outs and/or if there are more than one channels being used for the bass and its effects.
If not, getting in phase may allow you to adjust the EQ and get much crisper results. Also, be careful to make sure the transitents - typically found around 2.5K Hz are sufficiently present. I've read and found that these aree really key to a crisp/present bass line.
Cheers,
Ken Favata
Ken3744267@aol.com

#434105 02/21/00 07:36 AM
gm Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Great addition, Ken, and points up something I missed.

If there's ANY crosstalk from the bass into anything else - drums, guitar, et al - switching the phase on the bass channel will change the bass sound, sometimes dramatically.

Another point to be made on the EQ: the transients (the pluck, one assumes) will be a function of how the string is sounded (pluck or slap or ???, not to mention where on the string)...what kind of strings...how much treble pickup & etc. Doug will perhaps need to really crank the mid e.q. after tuning for the best boost frequency (assuming he's using a parametric).

George

George Massenburg

http://www.massenburg.com
#434106 03/01/00 06:17 AM
D
OP Offline
D
Thanks guys, and sorry it took so long to get back to you.

I was able to get the tracks into ProTools and tweak them at the sample level to check the phase issue. That helped a lot.

I also spent quite a while adjusting frequencies with a 3-band Renaissance EQ, and that helped much.

Thanks again for your attention!!

#434107 03/02/00 02:21 AM
T
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
T
Doug:

Since you used the Renaissance Compressor by Waves, try their Maxx Bass Plug in, as well. That can generate harmonics above the fundamental of the note played, allowing the adjustment of both the fundemental, and harmonic signal, and the amount of compression applied to the harmonics. That may assist you in "Tightening" up the bass, as well as by using EQ and Compression.

------------------
Bob.

Bob Buontempo.

AKA: - THE MIX FIX

Also Hanging at: http://recpit.prosoundweb.com
#434108 03/07/00 11:04 AM
D
D
This doesn't help your current dilema, but maybe it will in the future... If the amp and DI were printed to the same track, were they recorded out of phase? I'm assuming that you would easily identify that, but I was in the same scenario before and there was little I could do. Phase stuff can be tricky and deceving...

------------------
Demian Norvell
AppleSeed Studios
Ruch, OR

Moderated by  gm 

Link Copied to Clipboard