Music Player Network
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#434100 02/15/00 10:59 PM
R
OP Offline
R
George, What do you think of the new breed of Mastering processors.i.e TC Finalizer, and DBX Quantum? Do you prefer one over the other
and if you have used any of theses, how do they sound?

Thanks
Randy Knaub

Randy Knaub
Producer,Engineer
Jireh Productions
#434101 02/16/00 06:30 AM
gm Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
This is a tough one. Especially for a purist (which I am decidedly not).

Yes, I use multi-band compression. No, I don't always like to use as much as labels, not to mention radio, would like. Yes, I'm aware that the loudest mix (even if it's a ham-handed Chris Lord Alge hack job, with all due respect to Chris) is the winner, time and time again. No, I don't really love any of the boxes available right now. Although I think that the Finalizer is the best crafted software, the Quantum has potential - 5 x MC56303's for next to nothing. Unfortunately, the Quantum isn't really completely working, and it's hard to talk to anyone at dbx that cares that it has problems. Don't know about the Drawmer - awaiting the results of several listening tests now proceeding in LA if not elsewhere.

When I use a multi-band for mixing, I'm careful to always deliver the unprocessed mix as well as the processed version; if the mastering engineer can beat what I do, or if (horrors) I've gone too far, then there's a way out.

George

George Massenburg

http://www.massenburg.com

Moderated by  gm 

Link Copied to Clipboard