Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

B3X on iPad

Hi, I have a question for those familiar with this app. I would like to set up several different midi assignments and call them up as presets so that I can use B3X with a couple of different setups. Is that possible? It looks to me like you can save other parameters to a preset but not midi assignments. Am I missing something?

We were kind of wondering this in another thread, whether the midi channel assignments (upper, lower etc) were per-patch or global to the app. I would have thought global but someone was noticing this changing on them.

I can do some testing in a bit, I'll try changing midi channels and then saving presets.

It's more complication, but other apps could do this I think. I have experimented with mapping and transforms with Midiflow, and while I didn't test out changing midi channels on the fly, it does claim to be able to do this. Meaning, Midiflow patch 1 could redirect messages from ch.1 to say ch.8 without you having to change either source or destination. Then you could have other Midiflow patches that didn't remap channels, or did so to other channels. You could have one per setup or multiple.

I guess it's not possible for you to reserve some channels for B3X (or possibly just one if you are only worried about the upper as I am) that would work across your setups? That would obviously be the easiest! :D

Hi, I have a question for those familiar with this app. I would like to set up several different midi assignments and call them up as presets so that I can use B3X with a couple of different setups. Is that possible? It looks to me like you can save other parameters to a preset but not midi assignments. Am I missing something?

No the MIDI channels are global and unlike VB3m there is also no option to load and save different controller maps. To make things worse B3X receives CCs on the same MIDI channels as the Upper, Lower and Pedal MIDI channels eg 1,2,3, So that means you can't control Upper drawbars on Channel 1 and Lower drawbars on Channel 2.

For example, Upper Drawbar 16' set to CC12 will respond if that CC is sent on any of the MIDI channels that are used for the manuals eg 1-2-3. I know it's a bit off topic but it's really annoying. I have to say that the MIDIMAP implementation is not a patch on VB3m.

Also the parameters that can be mapped need to be extended to include stuff like Keyclick and the effects - not simply on and off.

[uPDATE] Even if you set you Midi channels to say 4,5,6 B3X still receives CCs on channel 1 as well.

It's more complication, but other apps could do this I think.

Yes, that could be the way to go. You should be able to create multiple saved setups in Keystage, for example, which do different mapping (i.e. receive drawbar setting as MIDI CC x on channel a, and remap it to CC y on channel b). This could also address the issue ChazKeys just mentioned, about wanting to get it to recognize the lower manual drawbars from a controller that puts those drawbars on the lower manual channel instead of on the upper.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Yup. IK seems to think everyone only uses Hammond stuff as controllers. I sometimes wonder if that was a stipulation of their licensing agreement?

When I decided I wanted to go back to hardware for live use, I shopped Mojo's and SKXs. Before I decided on a Mojo (which uses Vb3), I played around with the plug-in extensively to see how I'd like it, and did,...a lot.

It's not as pretty a UI as the B3x, but really love the sound and tweak-ablity. I continue to use B3x (Osx) in the studio, where I can deal with it's occasional glitches and the Midi user thing. But if I ever needed organ on Ipad, I'd go with VB3 in a heartbeat.

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

Yup. IK seems to think everyone only uses Hammond stuff as controllers. I sometimes wonder if that was a stipulation of their licensing agreement?

and irritatingly, although the SK Pro was announced over a year ago, B-3X has still not been updated to use it as a controller. And since Hammond does not use standard CCs for most of the non-drawbar controls, you can't fully map it yourself, either. Especially considering that it is one of the priciest apps you can get, it would be nice if they were more responsive.

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

and irritatingly, although the SK Pro was announced over a year ago, B-3X has still not been updated to use it as a controller. And since Hammond does not use standard CCs for most of the non-drawbar controls, you can't fully map it yourself, either. Especially considering that it is one of the priciest apps you can get, it would be nice if they were more responsive.

Yep.. bought it when it came out for $100, maybe more, I think. Sucks that I can't even map my Skpro to it.

I got it on sale, and had some itunes money to spend and had nothing else I wanted....but if vb3m had been out at the time I would have at least tried it. Mainly because I'd prefer it if I could use a phone, assuming I could map everything I wanted.