Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Joe Bonnamassa on The Grand Ole Opry

I do not know if it was current but I was passing through the channels and landed briefly on Circle TV and The Grand Ole Opry was on. And low and behold some beautiful blond lady introduces Joe. So of course I had to stop there and watch it a bit. Neat.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Was Joe playing country music instead of blues? Seems a little bit of an odd choice for the Grand Ole Opry! Glad you caught the show!

Joe played some bluesy thing after a bit of countrified rock or whatever it might be called. I did not stay to watch it I was just amused by the invite by the Opry people.

Too bad Gatton shot himself dead in 1994. He was one amazing player..

He was indeed!!! And, I loved watching Vince Gill eat everybody's lunch (Except for Jeff Beck) at one of Eric Clapton's Crossroads events. I only saw the video, never made the show.

A few years back Albert Lee came to the Lincoln Theater in Mount Vernon - about 25 miles from here. It was his 70th birthday tour. Great sounding venue and Albert was on it. Best $15 I've spent for a show.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Kuru, those are some of my favorite pickers! As DBM said, I was really sorry to hear of Danny Gatton's death...I saw Marty Stuart a couple of years ago and his Fabulous Superlatives. Great pickers and a great show. If they come to your town, I highly recommend them... :cool:
Take care, Larryz

Kuru, those are some of my favorite pickers! As DBM said, I was really sorry to hear of Danny Gatton's death...I saw Marty Stuart a couple of years ago and his Fabulous Superlatives. Great pickers and a great show. If they come to your town, I highly recommend them... :cool:

Would love to see them!

Here's another great player, I never got to see Roy.

Here's another great player, I never got to see Roy.

I saw Roy several times, the first time was in a venue in Wildwood NJ on his first national tour. I went with 2 musician buddies who had just graduated from Berkley School Of Music. Roy was so on, and played very well. Then he did a version of Five String Blues in which he did his volume control thing and his Tele spoke in English that night. We were so blown away by his show that no one spoke a word on the 60 mile or so trip up the Garden State Parkway. When we hit the toll both in New Gretna NJ someone said whew, that is how blown away we all were there were 4 of us squeezed into my Pops single cab pickup truck. Then not another word was spoken until the good nights. Listen to the Keys player after Roy's first solo.

@Kuru, The keys player in your video Live from Austin Tx is Malcolm Lukens, I met him at a party at Steve Weinglass home in Beverly Hills on New Years Eve 2009 (Steve is one of the guys in my pops pickup truck in my story above) Malcolm is still a friend of mine on Facebook, he is a good guy, and still working, he backs up Guitar Shorty and Crazy Tomes and others in Sou Cal.

Ha!!!

DBM, I saw Guitar Shorty in Fresno years ago. He was still young and spry enough to do his "play the guitar and do a flip at the same time" schtick, which brought down the house.

Malcolm was not at that show, I would remember a keyboardist of his caliber.

I envy you that you saw Roy Buchanan play, one of the greatest guitarists ever.

Ha!!!

DBM, I saw Guitar Shorty in Fresno years ago. He was still young and spry enough to do his "play the guitar and do a flip at the same time" schtick, which brought down the house.

Malcolm was not at that show, I would remember a keyboardist of his caliber.

I envy you that you saw Roy Buchanan play, one of the greatest guitarists ever.

Malcolm was with Roy for years He was not in the band when second album hit, the keyboardist then was Dick Heintze, then Malcolm came in his band later on. But long before Malcolm began playing out west. I met Malcolm on New Years eve/day 2009 at Steve's home.

Roy died August 14, 1988. I did go backstage at the second time I saw Roy play somewhere above Philly Pa. in about 1979 or so. I was a guest of his opening act backstage (and I was not there to see the opening act) I was there with my kids to see Roy. We got to say hello to Roy outside his dressing room which was filled with his kids and wife as well. He was very nice and friendly. I just wanted to say hello which I did, but did not want to act like a "fan" so I was brief. Nice guy.

jeez, I thought this thread was going to be about Joe Bonnamassa.

We drift off from time to time :cheers:

+1 DBM and Doerfler...here's a clip of Joe Bonnamassa going straight in and demonstrating the Gibson Les Paul wiring, pups and controls that I found very interesting:

Towards the end this one gets into the middle position:

:cool:

Take care, Larryz