Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Listen to Ringo jam

I think it's a rarity that you can actually hear Ringo play live and be able to distinguish his playing from the person he's double-drumming with, but in this jam they clearly mixed him right and Russ Kunkel left. It's a jam so there's mistakes, but it still (or maybe for that very reason) brought a smile to my face. I also like Leland Sklar very much, both the man and his playing.

[video:youtube]

• Like 1

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

because he's Ringo and he can :)

but seriously, probably so it can make the gig something he still enjoys doing (by taking the stress of a perfect drum performance off him, an almost 80 year old drummer that also sings). Making himself want to do it would be high on anyone's list - he doesn't need the gig for money....

EDIT - my apologies for my snarky reply - I hadn't watched the above video, I assumed it was a live performance before an audience.

So Threadslayers question seems pretty reasonable in retrospect.

Maybe Ringo has gotten so used to drumming with a second drummer that he needs one now to keep a solid beat?

You'd have to ask Ringo himself. But he's been very consistent about that since I believe the earliest days of the All Starr band at the end of the 80s. A practical reason with that band is that he often goes out front and sing. A humility reason would be he knows his limitations as a musician. (You can watch him playing Rosanna with Steve Lukather to see that he has simplified his part of the groove quite a bit.) A more embarrassing reason could be the fact (one he himself is not hesitant to admit) that he spent most of the 70s and 80s on alcohol and cocaine. I'd guess that does things with your playing ability. And one thing he has also said many times, is that he likes nothing better than to be in a band with great musicians. And he's Ringo so he can do what he wants including hiring the best drummers out there. (There's a concert on Youtube where they are triple drumming with Jim Keltner and I believe Levon Helm.) So some combination of the above.

Life is subtractive.

Wow, what a tight jam! No surprise given the lineup. I met Leland Sklar at a NAMM show and he handed me a bass he had borrowed as a prototype and was returning for a production run copy and encouraged me to buy it (after hearing me play and talking a bit). Great guy; no one has ever had anything bad to say about him. No wonder he gets hired by EVERYONE.

Joe Walsh is in great form here. Never one of my all-time favorites but also someone whose talent I admire, he occasionally pulls off a performance that really grabs my soul, and this is one of those times.

Ringo has such a light touch compared to Russ Kunkel that I can barely hear him in the mix except when he's on top kit. I do like double-drums though, a la Allmans and others mentioned. Adam Ant as well. It especially is exciting in concert.

I found it a bit dizzying to SEE Ringo on the left but HEAR him on the right, but I couldn't close my eyes to compensate as the performance is so riveting.

I only knew that Ringo went into alcohol rehab with Barbara Bach somewhere around the early 90's; I didn't know he was on a constant cocaine binge as well.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Cool jam! Somewhere I have one of Ringo's earlier All-Starr Band albums - he had Joe Walsh and Nils Lofgren on guitars, Dr. John and some other monster on keyboards, Levon Helm and Rick Danko from The Band on drums and bass and they rocked.

A few years ago I was in Utah and went with friends to see Toto. They had Leland Sklar on bass, he was the best.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

And double drumming is done because?

Ask Allman Brothers, Grateful Dead, early Motown recordings, Spector's Wall of Sound recordings, James Brown, Prince, that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

add Genesis to this list, along with Phil Collins solo recordings and tours, using Chester Thompson ((the drummer)) in addition to Phil

:nopity:

Ask Allman Brothers, Grateful Dead, early Motown recordings, Spector's Wall of Sound recordings, James Brown, Prince, that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

The question wasn't why two drummers, it was why double drummers, as in playing effectively the same licks on two similar drum kits. Typically - at least when I saw them, the Allman Bros., Dead, etc. had one drum set and a whole bunch of congas, timbales, cowbell* and other percussion. I can see the frontman/drummer argument for live performance but in the studio?

* In the case of the Dead it would have been pots and pans, trash can lids, and a bunch of steampunk looking stuff

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

The question wasn't why two drummers, it was why double drummers, as in playing effectively the same licks on two similar drum kits.

This "technique", if that's what you want to call it, is used by Tedeshi Trucks Band, they are currently touring, many videos available on You Tube

:nopity:

For those in the New York/New Jersey area Leland Sklar is being featured on Profiles on the NY Life channel at 11:00 PM tonight.
C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

The question wasn't why two drummers, it was why double drummers, as in playing effectively the same licks on two similar drum kits. Typically - at least when I saw them, the Allman Bros., Dead, etc. had one drum set and a whole bunch of congas, timbales, cowbell* and other percussion. I can see the frontman/drummer argument for live performance but in the studio?

* In the case of the Dead it would have been pots and pans, trash can lids, and a bunch of steampunk looking stuff

Because it sounds cool?

I'm good with everybody doing whatever they want to do, as long as they let me do the same.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Ah, so that was Benmont. I was wondering! tasty licks, so I should've guessed. Don't remember the camera flashing to him except for a blip so short that I didn't notice who it was.
  • Like 1

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Because it sounds cool?

I'm good with everybody doing whatever they want to do, as long as they let me do the same.

It could have been one of those reasons, or maybe one of those deals where Ringo was in town, stopped by the studio, and they had an extra kit and he said, "cool!" Or Joe ran into him somewhere and they got to talking but Joe wasn't going to kick anyone out but just add Ringo.

IOW, it could be any number of reasons. Some might see it as redundant or non-traditional, while others go with it because they can or want to.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Lee Sklar tells the story of this session briefly in this video. It was a session with Russ Kunkel drumming, and Ringo joined for a while.

• Like 2

Life is subtractive.

Now it all makes sense. Funny how we all assumed Ringo put the session together, yet it turns out he was the special guest!