Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

NOGAD!!! Again?...

KuruPrionz

New Old Guitar Amp Day!!!!

Tuesdays, over 55 get 30% off everything at our Value Village thrift store so I've made it a habit to go see what's there.

Today it was a Laney Hardcore MXD 30 guitar amp, ask price was $24.95. Out the door was $19.03.

I plugged it in there in the store, there was that little pop that solid state amps make when turned on and then a very low level hum. Light was on, pots weren't scratchy, seemed like a good gamble.

30 watts and a 10" speaker. Fairly light. Couple of plastic corners are missing an edge here and there, big whoop.

It works fine and has a ton of effects, channel switching, etc. Could use a good cleaning, that's easy.

Not sure if I'll keep it, may flip it on craigslist for gas money.

I already think it sounds better than the Line 6 Spider amp I bought a couple of weeks ago. Sold that one already, and the Roland Spirit and a Peavey Vypyr 15 (original series). All thrift store finds.

Photo added.

2590.thumb.jpg.2f837a271276d066e57fd68547b4ae32.jpg

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have a great time with the new gear amigo.

Thanks DBM, I'm having fun exploring the presets. They've got quite a few of them. The only control is the blend, there is no tap tempo for delay. Pretty sure the amplifier section is all analog too.

Easy to get that Laney "sludge metal" tone for one. The clean tones are nice.

Amp has a bit of hum at low volumes, probably not noticeable at a gig. 30 watts and one 10", I haven't turned it up much but I'm betting it gets LOUD!!!!

I have two Laney Amps, one Tube, one SS, and I'm very happy with both. For just under $20US, it's hard to go wrong. Have fun with that!

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

I have two Laney Amps, one Tube, one SS, and I'm very happy with both. For just under $20US, it's hard to go wrong. Have fun with that!

Thanks, Sir Winston - the Laney tube amps are iconic. The sound of Black Sabbath, just for one.

This amp is not that but it's another fun addition to my list of multi-effects amps that I've actually tried.

And you're right, at $20 it's impossible to go wrong. I can always get my money back out and if not, so what?

So far, most of them have come and gone. I suspect this one will go too, it's a nice little amp but I don't need it.

I hate to have stuff sitting around when there are other people nearby who wish they had an amp to play through.

This amp could mean much more to them than it ever will to me.

Part of the point of these threads is to encourage others to go take a look around. You really never know what you will find or who will end up with it.

Thrift stores are a safe buy, nobody steals gear and donates it to the thrift store so you know it's not "hot".

I've seen people happily playing gear I sold them, I like that!! Cheers, Kuru

Thanks, Sir Winston - the Laney tube amps are iconic. The sound of Black Sabbath, just for one.

Black Sabbath are the true godfathers of Metal, IMHO.

No disrespect to Led Zeppelin, but their original sound was heavily rooted in the Blues, while Black Sabbath sought to break out of the Blues Bag altogether, starting off their eponymous title track with "the Devil's Interval." Tony Iommi's down-tuned SG was also arguably the precursor to an entire legion of drop-tuned, down-tuned, and extended-range Metal Guitar styles.

Back more or less on topic, Thrift Stores around here (D.C. Metro area) aren't so great for bargain hunters, at least not for Guitars and Amps. I've seen too many beat-up, entry-level Guitars and Amps selling for close to new prices, because there's a demand.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Black Sabbath are the true godfathers of Metal, IMHO.

No disrespect to Led Zeppelin, but their original sound was heavily rooted in the Blues, while Black Sabbath sought to break out of the Blues Bag altogether, starting off their eponymous title track with "the Devil's Interval." Tony Iommi's down-tuned SG was also arguably the precursor to an entire legion of drop-tuned, down-tuned, and extended-range Metal Guitar styles.

Back more or less on topic, Thrift Stores around here (D.C. Metro area) aren't so great for bargain hunters, at least not for Guitars and Amps. I've seen too many beat-up, entry-level Guitars and Amps selling for close to new prices, because there's a demand.

And no disrespect to Black Sabbath but...

There are probably many roots to the Metal tree. Deep Purple, Blue Oyster Cult, if we want to go farther back - The Surfin' Bird by the Trashmen could be considered proto-punk/metal, certainly an influence on music to come. The Seeds may have played a part as well. On the other hand, some of the heaviest music I ever listened to was an album my brother brought home - John Coltrane and Pharaoh Sanders Live in Seattle is no holds barred mega-blasts of intensity. Sax was the first fuzz tone, probably the reason the pedal was invented in the first place.

We can't leave out Link Wray and Rumble, the first instrumental record to be banned from the radio, the FBI believed it could incite violence! :laugh:

Edited to add - Certainly John Entwhistle and Keith Moon were hugely influential for metal music, they had the chops and the fury to inspire probably just about everybody.

Bummer about your thrift stores but at least you checked. I've turned some great deals on craisglist too but you gotta be FAST. I was barely second in line for a clean Gurian guitar that went for $200 a few years back. Should have been $2,000 if the seller had done their research. So it goes...