Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Just discovered Lawrence

Yep. They've got the music bug genuinely. Very talented young folks.

Clyde is the real deal when it comes to musicianship, songwriting and composition. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Yeah they're not striving for originality in these cuts, but it's infectious. What must it be like to be that young, talented, and New York? As someone who came of age on California beaches, that seems like a different planet to grow up on.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Derivative, in the very best sense of the word.

+1. Bands like this carrying a torch that needs to keep burning.

:2thu: Love this!

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

I"m not crazy about the Broadway Musical feel of their thing, but I have to say the arrangement and production of the music is stellar, considering with that much going on it could"ve been a mess. Love what they did with all the keyboards, of course!

Here for the gear.

Eh... my son turned me on to them around a year or so ago. Thought they were somewhat interesting. Then I went to Summer Camp music fest and saw them on the schedule so I checked 'em out. I think Clyde is the goods and the band was tight, but their show was waaay too much of the Broadway musical thing drawback mentioned. But I'm probably not their target demographic...

Fun, tight tune. I appreciate their skill. But, not particularly moving for me. It's a 7 minute song that is fundamentally just a repetition of the same hook, both musically, lyrically, and emotionally, for 80% of the time.

Also, they've got the current pop vocal affectation going on with their pronunciation and vocal tone that, to me, is just annoying and screams "artifice" and not "authenticity". (but, I also admit that the line these days between authenticity and hyper-stylized performative presentation is not as clear as it used to be, see: Bo Burnham).

All that is to say, they're great, but maybe not aligned with my personal tastes in music.

Couple thoughts:

Really tight group, good groove, great musicians. The one thing that grated on me was in the first video posted, the opening vocals: for whatever reason, that Fran Drescher :The Nanny" nasally voice just triggers a really bad response in me.

Again all subjective.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

Been a fan since the beginning. Also check out Couch and Melt. Similar great bands as well.

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

Totally agree that version of the song is about 4 minutes too long, and actually also had the "Broadway" response, though it dissipated a minute or two in when the musicianship and underlying soul outweighed it. Still: What a talented family.

All pop music is loop-based derivations of (or departures from) previous generations' music, and not everything is our cup of tea, particularly as generations move on underneath us. But musicianship is musicianship, across all genres and ages, and it's hard (for me) to deny the talent here. Plus it's nice to hear and see someone playing and singing, in 2022. Between these guys, H.E.R., Black Pumas, and a couple of other emerging/-ed acts, there seems to be a trend back toward singers singing the songs they themselves are playing. It's nice to see.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

The 20-something Brother/Sister songwriting combo seems to be the key to success.

I read the comments above before listening, so my musical pretension ears were already up at full mast when I eventually did. Initial thoughts were similar: talented, but repetative. I grew up in the bowels of rural Scotland so my experience of Broadway is precisely zilch, so I can't compare it.

After another fifteen listens, my conclusion is that I love it. There's not much to dislike about it for me. It's fun. It's soulful. There's 4 keyboards, and no guitars. Okay, there's a bit of the cliche singery wankery, sure, but they all have the chops to pull it off. The chords may be your standard gospel affair (fun to play along with), filled with the same filler riffs you'd hear a million times on any soul/gospel playlist on spotify, and the performance is filled with that American optimism/OTT excitement that we like to slag off here in the UK (only because we're secretly jealous most of us can't pull it off)...but together it just works! Top notch musicianship.

My wife and kids love it. My 7 year old was singing along by the second chorus (though she did then ask "how long is this song?!")

Thanks for sharing Tim, down the Lawrence rabbit hole I go. This is gonna be on repeat in my house. Will probably be as bad as the time I introduced my wife to Moonchild...

PS. These guys need to get themselves on Tiny Desk.

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

Thanks for sharing Tim, down the Lawrence rabbit hole I go. This is gonna be on repeat in my house. Will probably be as bad as the time I introduced my wife to Moonchild...

My pleasure - and give our greetings to your wife and kids from California!

All pop music is loop-based derivations of (or departures from) previous generations' music, and not everything is our cup of tea, particularly as generations move on underneath us. But musicianship is musicianship...

Agreed. :thu:

Whole genres of music were built on the same foundation. Beyond the players, technology is the main difference between past and present.

Otherwise, the currrent and future generations will continue milking the same progressions that have tickled our ears since we discovered our love for music. Having the gift of being able to play music is icing on the cake.

If/when we get to the point of no longer being able to appreciate music, it may be time to opt out of the program and find something else to do. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I saw the brother cite Randy Newman as an influence and now that's all I hear when I listen to them.

The other day, when I first watched Lawrence I thought, "Hmmmm.... he's got a Randy Newman thing going on." Glad to know RN is still influencing folks.

Steve Coscia

I saw the brother cite Randy Newman as an influence and now that's all I hear when I listen to them.

The other day, when I first watched Lawrence I thought, "Hmmmm.... he's got a Randy Newman thing going on." Glad to know RN is still influencing folks.

Exact same response. If those are the waters people are fishing in in 2022, no complaints here.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com