Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

GAS is done?

Am I the only one who no longer gets GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome)? Who is content with their collection of gear? Who no longer has a desire to replace anything with the latest and greatest gadget?

I got synths, I got a recording system, I got MIDI controllers (keys, drums), I got guitars, I got amps, I got cases for everything, I got a house to put it all in... It's been a couple of years since I really WANTED anything. Even with all the great new toys we have today.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like you are completely healed of the disease. As for me, I don't have any room! Both physical room and digital one. We had a new house built. Now my home studio is smaller.

My main laptop with a 2TB SSD is maxed out. So that helps me not to get more VST instruments. I will no longer buy a laptop. Someday it will be replaced with a mini portable PC so that I can use it for studio and gigs. I can say no to new gear easier than before.

You're not alone, and thankfully so...

I have a NE5d and an Axiom 49, two Macbooks with Mainstage, an old accordion, a melodica and an old ipad mini 2 - and that's it (plus my AP at home). I am perfectly happy with them. I try to be a musician not a consumer of gear, so i guess I am OK with what I've got. No GAS. If I ever need something else it will be for a specific reason or a new band/gig, but I guess I can do whatever I'm capable of, with my small rig

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

I can"t imagine anyone who doesn"t have an interest in a cool new keyboard or pedal. It"s like someone who doesn"t like chocolate.

That said, I feel I have everything that I need to learn, write, record and perform music at my current ability level.

I still look at every new synth. I"m drooling over the Waldorf Iridium. But, I know that my Blofeld does everything I need.

An acoustically decent home studio full of hand-picked gear that I love to play and record with!

Am I the only one who no longer gets GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome)? .

I think there might be another guy in Arizona, so no, you're not the only one.

For myself as a keys player, getting away from synths has reduced GAS substantially. The meat and potatoes sounds on most keyboards (including Hammond clones) are improving so incrementally, it's much easier now to be satisfied with what I've got. By contrast, synth tech will always be making leaps and bounds.

I'm still going to be interested in any advancement that makes gigging easier. That type of GAS pressure only increases as you get older.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Yes, I can say my GAS has ameliorated as I have gotten older. But I do have a strong case of TAS (Talent/Technique Acquisition Syndrome); obsessively playing for hours in an effort to "get better".

My running joke: whenever I go into the local music store and the sales guy comes over, I tell them I am hoping to buy a 6-pack of talent.

J.S. Bach Well Tempered Klavier

The collected works of Scott Joplin

Ray Charles Genius plus Soul

Charlie Parker Omnibook

Stevie Wonder Songs in the Key of Life

Weather Report Mr. Gone

yes , i think the GAS has finally subsided , i'm liking everything i've been fortunate enough to be able to build or acquire , just want to keep it all running in the green .

fortunately it all coincides with the fact that i just don't have the budget for any more stuff anyway . of course , i've got a new problem , is there TAS anonymous ? i think i need to join

With Reaktor and Zebra, I no longer have any desire for the latest and greatest synth. Pretty much anything is possible.

Now, the question is whether the music and playing are any good. Perhaps that was the question all along, ...? :laugh:

Am I the only one who no longer gets GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome)?

I think they gave you the wrong booster.... That ain't right!!!

There is NO CURE for GAS. Whether you acquire or not, your funds & needs will dictate -- but you can ALWAYS DREAM for free!!!

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

I have what I need my only concern is that my PC3 is the workhorse of my setup and I've had it 11 years. Knock on wood it is still going strong but I recognize it could fail and that would be a disaster for me from a gig perspective. So from that perspective I am still looking for the keyboard. Thinking Stage 3 or PC4-7 as a replacement for simplicity purposes and weight. Other than that I have what I need.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I was actually thinking about this last week and considered posting the same.

I'm downsizing a lot in general. Having less physical stuff relieves some mental pressure.

After picking up various hardware bits along the way--and selling them after they fail to scratch the itch--I've gone all software now, so I feel no need for hardware beyond a decent keyboard controller and digital piano. I do miss the tactile experience of programming via hardware synths, but I don't miss it enough to pile on another board. I've also had various hardware pieces fail along the way, too, and the repairs have been expensive. That shouldn't affect my decision, but it's in the back of my mind as I get the occasional buzz of "gee whiz that looks cool!"

Unfortunately, I've also gotten into playing guitar :D I don't feel the pull to get pedals or amps--I'm not discerning enough to want more than what I get from in-the-box sims--but woe to my wallet if I pick up a guitar that feels and looks good.

I do snag VSTs when there are significant sales on, and I like having those choices. It's like picking up different paint colors and brushes. If I want anything, it's a faster/smaller computer to run this stuff. The new Mac Minis are calling.

I make software noises.

It's never over for me. My next frontier is to sell my QSC K10s and get something newer better and more awesome, and a killer pair of studio monitors. GAS is a sport and lifestyle that never ends for me.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

I think we have hit a level with digital keyboards that upgrades no longer feel necessary. For me that happened with the Virus TI2 and the latest Kronos. Sure, I would like to have the latest Fantom, but I don't really need it. The Kronos 2 does everything I need, as well as I need. I did pick up a Jupiter Xm to be the center piece of my DAWless setup. Since I got it I feel that I can sell my collection of Botiques. Waiting on the Roland SP-404Mkii to come back in stock. When it does I will get rid of my collection of Teenage Engineering Pocket Operators and Korg Volcas. I guess that is where I am at now. When one device can replace many, I'll jump. But upgrades for better sound and features, that's hit a ceiling.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I think there might be another guy in Arizona, so no, you're not the only one.
Well, that's not me, but I am getting pretty close. The only thing I am really lacking is a "centerpiece" analog polysynth, but I am in no great hurry (neither it seems is Moog). Zebra2, DIVA, TAL-J-8, Memorymode all controlled with an Electra One pretty much handles it for me.

But MC- you do have quite the (vintage) synth collection, that would definitely help quell GAS...

Effective GAS blockers...

Being broke

Getting married and sharing accounts

Having kids

Saying screw it, and just get the instrument you really wanted the first time even if it was out of your planned budget.

Going to the shop and playing the new beast before buying it. 9.867 times out of 10, it's not what you imagined.

Reminding oneself players that spend more time practicing/gigging than reading manuals can make a turd sing.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I don't think I even opened the last Sweetwater catalog that came to the house. If anything crucial dies I'll replace it, but that's about it.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

My GAS as it relates to KBs has been relieved. It has been a long and winding road. :laugh:

I've finally accepted that every KB I've bought whether it's a synth, ROMpler or DP has been a Rhodes stand-in on steroids. :D

Even the "other" sounds I program and play on a synth are essentially an electric piano with a filter or an LFO.

My GAS would only flare up if a manufacturer produced an updated version of the Ensoniq ASR-10 sampling KB. I think I'm safe in that regard. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

My GAS has mostly shifted in recent years to things like "a bigger more ergonomic studio", "tidy cabling solutions" "better desk" and the like.

This! And I've always bought, sold and swapped my way into better gear. Or, DIY - lots of that going on as well.

There isn't much that I want and almost nothing that I need. I mostly don't care about having the "latest and greatest" unless it is something truly compelling - most stuff is not that.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

MY GAS has ended after many years. Sold off several synths, samplers and outboard gear last spring. (Still have several, but I'm keeping those.) Loads of VSTi's in my DAW, so there's nothing I need or want. The only thing I was missing was a good DP for my basement studio. My acoustic upstairs is getting worn out - not to mention I can't turn it down! I picked up a Kawai DP around the same time I sold the gear. No regrets. I could probably sell a few more things and not miss them....We'll see.

My GAS has evolved as my interests have. I went through a period of keyboard GAS (done), stage amplification (done), then band FOH sound (done), then stage monitoring with IEMs, also done. All quite successful, as I now have zero interest in any of those things for now.

My latest wave of GAS has been learning how to deliver a programmed light show using the newer battery-powered wireless fixtures. It's pretty cool what you can do with a few cases of light fixtures and a pair of poles, at least at our small-band scale. I should write it up, because it wasn't obvious how to put all the pieces together.

I am even planning future GAS. Video editing doesn't look all that hard, if you've got the time to learn and fast hardware to do it on. That last bit is going to be expensive.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

All my gear needs are taken care of. I have no desire for more synths or effects units.

The Line 6 HX Stomp XL put the nails in the coffin of my effects GAS, which had already been pushed into the coffin by my Eventide H9, Empress Zoia, Gamechanger Audio Plus, and Chase Bliss MOOD.

I will probably spend the majority of my synth time this year digging into the Roland MC-707, whose Zen Core engine is surprisingly versatile. I downloaded a bunch of sound packs while I had the Roland Cloud Pro membership, and bought a few more afterwards for 99 cents each - most of them have presets that got the "wow it can do that?!?" reaction out of me.