Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

That Time I Took a Piano Lesson from Joe Sample...

...and didn't even know it:

I was maybe in high school or just a year out of it. My cousin said she had a new friend who was an amazing pianist, and he was open to doing a lesson with me, based on their friendship. The next time I was in her neighborhood, she brought me to his house and left me there for an hour.

I was not a straight jazzer, and was writing very "singer-songwritery" stuff. I do remember him suggesting a couple of cool chords for a couple of my tunes, and the fact that even though I could tell this wasn't his area of interest, he actually seemed sort of stoked to be encoolerating my stuff. I remember the house, and his manner, and one specific thing he told me, which was that most people were no longer mentioning the "1" in waltz rhythm, instead only spelling out the "2-3."

I don't remember much else, alas. I don't even remember how the lesson ended. But I definitely remember for years playing a particular song and being aware that "that guy" had suggested a particular chord in it.

That story up to there is all I knew about it for years. I spent this last Thanksgiving with my cousin and asked her who she set up the piano lesson with all those years ago. She immediately said, "Joe Sample." 2021 me was way more impressed with that than apparently 1826 me was, so I pressed her for the backstory.

Apparently, she and a friend she worked with were out at a bar and saw him sitting there. Her friend knew who he was, and went over to talk to him and (this is me reading between the lines) hit on him. My cousin joined them and--again, reading between the lines of some things she might not have wanted to say in front of my kids or her current husband, but seemed to be "not saying"--also perhaps "join them." I got the vibe maybe they even dated for awhile (and remember even thinking that back then), in spite of (or because of?) the age difference. She didn't say too much else, which is a big reason I presume more happened between them.

Anyway, now-2022 me certainly wishes I'd met him later and taken advantage of all that knowledge. But still fun to know that 1826 me got to have a lesson from the great Joe Sample, even if I didn't know it.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Brotha MOI, that was very cool of your cousin to look out. Even more gracious of the late Joe Sample to avail himself.

If I had that chance, I would have asked Joe what led him to that hip chord sequence he played at the of Minnie Riperton's "Inside My Love". :D:cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Skinny white singer/songwriter snags piano lesson with Joe Sample = good story

Skinny white singer/songwriter pimps out cousin to snag piano lesson with Joe Sample = Great Story!

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I thought I would gain some insight on those outside, " MOI" notes. But I did, at least, learn another impressive word I can throw out without really knowing what it means, " encoolerating", thanks! Good story.

It's a word that embiggens all of us.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

That must have been a great lesson. He could do anything. I had a brush with Joe in the "70"s. I was at a club that I often played at and Joe, Stix, and Billy Rogers came in. Joe and Stix were sitting at a table with a good friend as Billy was sitting in with the band. My friend called me over and I sat with them and had a couple drinks. Joe told me that he just did a 'record' called Rainbow Seeker. It hadn"t been released yet, but he said he had a copy on cassette and asked if I"d like to hear it. Me, Joe, and Stix go out to my car and twist one up and give it a listen. Blew me away.

Me, Joe, and Stix go out to my car and twist one up and give it a listen. Blew me away.

:o

I remember when he stopped by the MPN Keyboard Korner hang at NAMM probably 8 years ago. AND I WASN'T THERE. Heavy fomo.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

... I did, at least, learn another impressive word I can throw out without really knowing what it means, " encoolerating", thanks!
Chuck Berry's lyric to C'est La Vie (You Never Can Tell):

They furnished off an apartment with a 2-room Roebuck sale

The coolerator was crammed with TV dinners and ginger ale

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

...Joe told me that he just did a 'record' called Rainbow Seeker. It hadn"t been released yet, but he said he had a copy on cassette and asked if I"d like to hear it. Me, Joe, and Stix go out to my car and twist one up and give it a listen. Blew me away.

"There Are Many Stops Along The Way" was my introduction to Joe Sample. The band leader handed me the album and said, "Learn this." Really opened my ears.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

Cool story.

He was living here in Houston in his later years. His name was even on the TSU big band, led by my friend (maybe more of an acquaintance) Horace Alexander Young. But the closest I came to him was going to one of those gigs and Joe didn't show up. I think he was supposed to. I was really hoping to meet him and introduce myself, but it never happened and he passed away not long after. :(

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I thought I would gain some insight on those outside, " MOI" notes. But I did, at least, learn another impressive word I can throw out without really knowing what it means, " encoolerating", thanks! Good story.

It's a word that embiggens all of us.

Aha. And I thought you were were throwing out some fancy college professor words!