Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Zeppelin - No Quarter Rhodes effect

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The interwebz says:

For the recorded studio version, Jones used a Hohner Electra-Piano run through an EMS VCS3. Live, he played a Rhodes through a Maestro PS1A phase shifter.

Interesting! Back around 1980 I remember running my Rhodes thru the filter of my Multimoog ( with plenty of LFO on it) in an attempt to duplicate the sound. I got pretty darned close (or at least so my far less discernable ears from 40+years ago thought...)

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

Interesting! Back around 1980 I remember running my Rhodes thru the filter of my Multimoog ( with plenty of LFO on it) in an attempt to duplicate the sound. I got pretty darned close (or at least so my far less discernable ears from 40+years ago thought...)
Did something similar with my OG Minimoog D, thought I pretty much nailed the sound.

The interwebz says:

For the recorded studio version, Jones used a Hohner Electra-Piano run through an EMS VCS3. Live, he played a Rhodes through a Maestro PS1A phase shifter.

If one listens to the the version on Houses of the Holy and then the version on The Song Remains The Same, you can clearly hear that different effects are being used, less so that different electric pianos are being used.

Circa 1977, in my high school band I played my Rhodes piano through a Maestro MP-1 for this effect. Nailed the live version.

:nopity:

I've always used a phaser (I had assumed that was what was on the recording.) Leslie would be ok, but you don't get the same...juicy-ness. Plus you'd have to set the fast speed to be on the slower side.

The Kurz PC3 actually has a No Quarter patch that absolutely nails the effect.

Indeed it does... and before I bought the PC3, I was able to get the No Quarter sound on my Alesis QS8.2 by applying the "OVERDRIVE+LZLY" effect to an acoustic piano patch. (That particular combination of Piano and Effect were not in the presets).

Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Alesis Ion, Kawai K3M

Indeed it does... and before I bought the PC3, I was able to get the No Quarter sound on my Alesis QS8.2 by applying the "OVERDRIVE+LZLY" effect to an acoustic piano patch. (That particular combination of Piano and Effect were not in the presets).

Pretty sure my Alesis QSR (and the QS8 keyboards I used to own) already have a No Quarter preset in them.

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

It uses the "Dave Weiser" effect - anything sounds good through it.

Cheers, Mike.

Thanks for the shout, very kind of you!

Here's the latest iteration, "New Quarter" for Forte, PC4 and K27. That old Hohner Electra-Piano was such a gem, I'd love to get my hands on one someday! For this patch I used a mix of Rhodes, Wurly and Pianet samples, all pretty heavily filtered, and I believe the effect is achieved through a combination of synth engine and FX engine.

Playing along with the album:

All by itself:

https://www.facebook.com/weisersound/posts/2159431700804630

(Any Kurz owners here, feel free to hit me up and I'll send you my custom sound set free of charge. I've got versions for PC3/K, PC4, SP6, Forte, ForteSE and K2700. weiserdav@gmail.com)

Really the only effect you need to worry about is a Phaser. We can talk about getting close with auto-wah, Leslie, tremolo, etc. until the cows come home, but the original is a resonant phaser, and pretty much every keyboard these days is going to have that onboard, so you might as well start there and forget about everything else. Not a big difference whether it's a Mutron Biphase (Joe Zawinul), or an MXR Phase-100 (Tony Banks), or the EMS that JPJ used in the studio, with a bit of tweaking they can all get fairly close to that sound. That's the iconic part of the patch. Other than that, you can try to scrounge up a Hohner Electra, but you'll probably have better luck and more options with a Rhodes, and JPJs live Rhodes recording is just about as iconic, might as well go that direction. Mojo61 can do all of this:

Fender Rhodes -> Resonant Phaser to taste (in the Mojo app), and you're off to the races. I played this about 5 years back with a Zeppelin tribute band, and as long as you get close, it will absolutely provide the feeling you want. JPJ did with varied equipment, and it sounded great every time. If you can get the feel down, don't sweat the details, it will work!

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?