Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Delusional Reverb posting

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That doesn't seem unusual from the SANE side of the street where WE are, hopefully. Watch someone pay it! I've demoed most of the legendary instruments and owned a few, so I understand the feel factor fairly well. Still, the more rare & precious CS-80s become, the more I laugh at these moments in a world where you can have much of the same experience in software or many varied clusters of hardware. The Hydrasynth offers the great touch strip and the CS is in software form from several manufacturers. If someone can and WILL pay that price for the real thing, it'll probably have clothes hanging from it within a month. Besides, any smart person will wait for the next one that's a mere $50K. :rolleyes:

"We're the crash test dummies of the digital age."
            ~ Kara Swisher, "Burn Book"

The folks at Syntaur did a really cool CS80 refurb (there's a vid somewhere) and from memory I think he paid about 5k, bit less than that one haha!

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

Seemingly another case of someone using Reverb as an advertisement and setting the price extremely high to see who reaches out. But maybe some Japanese billionaire will buy it for that?

My brother took his well-used Mercedes into a very well known huge MB dealer here in SoCal for a factory recall issue. He was looking at the MB/Maybach SUV with a sticker of $160K, and a dealer upcharge of around $50K due to the chip shortage. He asked the salesman what kind of pushback they're getting on the upcharge, and he said almost no one even mentions it.

If you've got the coin, this is a rounding error....

There's a saying about throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks. :laugh:

No shortage of folks with money to burn for whom buying that Yamaha CS80 would be a drop in the bucket.

Still, that price tag is ridiculous to the extent that a Yamaha CS80 isn't an investment or heirloom. :D:cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

What's the current market price for a mint condition CS80 with MIDI retrofit?

I don't think anyone really knows, so the next best move is to test the market and see what moneyed film composers, flush recording studios, eccentric startup billionaires and such have an appetite.

Price it high so you can start getting counter offers.

Hope it goes somewhere eventually where it will actually be played.

I played in a band where the 2nd KB player gigged a CS80 - I played a CP70B and Prophet 10. What an amazing time, and those three boards together were just draw dropping.

Pretty funny. Might as well take your shot I guess. And the same way there's someone so nostalgic for the career they had in the 80's that they think this board is worth asking this kind of lettuce for, there's also a buyer somewhere who thinks it's worth spending that for.

Reverb says it's "predicted to sell soon." They might need to work on their algorithm...

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

Pretty funny. Might as well take your shot I guess. And the same way there's someone so nostalgic for the career they had in the 80's that they think this board is worth asking this kind of lettuce for, there's also a buyer somewhere who thinks it's worth spending that for.

Reverb says it's "predicted to sell soon." They might need to work on their algorithm...

Well, the full statement is "Predicted to Sell Soon

Only 1 available and3 other people have this in their carts"

Which could mean that 3 people marked it randomly just to see what happens. Or, that there are 3 serious potential buyers. Or, that all of the poster's friends put it in their carts to make it look good.

Since the cart thing is pretty much the Reverb algorithm it is certain to be unreliable. No two ways about it.

Not sure how you could track the "sell" factor reliably, I think its probably impossible.

On eBay you have "watchers", another meaningless data point. I watch stuff all the time, partly to see what it might sell for and partly because the item starts cheap. If it goes up beyond my price, I bail.

Such is the status of "bling", meaningless...

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I guess that the promised and yet unavailable Behringer D80 and the already available (and beautiful sounding) Deckard"s Dream, just got some more wind in their sails.

Not to mention the great sounding Poly-Brute.

No matter how well it's packed, what are the odds of it surviving the journey from the UK to the US?

The Arturia version works for me :)

+1, because I've seen a CS-80 with the lid up. The inside is a steampunk nightmare. No wonder techs who can repair them put their kids through college on the proceeds. I get the feeling that the Osmose will offer a similar touch experience in modern terms, but it'll be almost as rare as the CS. You won't be seeing them in many living rooms like a DP. So, who is going to be the Keith Emerson of the Osmose?

I am now considering listing my CS70M at $50,000. High CS80 asking prices have also raised the perceived value of the CS60 and CS50. These Yamaha synths are full of proprietary IC's which are difficult to find.
C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

I went from multi-keyboard arsenal through numerous workstations to a master keyboard with plug-ins. The Hydrasynth Deluxe might be the one that get's me back to more than keyboard.

Using:

Yamaha: Montage M8x| Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape | uhe: Diva, Hive2, Zebra2| Roland: Cloud Pro | Arturia: V Collection

NI: Komplete 14 | VPS: Avenger | Cherry: GX80 | G-Force: OB-E | Korg: Triton, MS-20

Sold/Traded:

Yamaha: Motif XS8, Motif ES8, Motif8, KX-88, TX7 | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe| Roland: RD-2000, D50, MKS-20| Korg: Kronos 88, T3, MS-20

Oberheim: OB8, OBXa, Modular 8 Voice | Rhodes: Dyno-My-Piano| Crumar: T2

I am now considering listing my CS70M at $50,000. High CS80 asking prices have also raised the perceived value of the CS60 and CS50. These Yamaha synths are full of proprietary IC's which are difficult to find.

Same with the Polymoog, I believe. Once those chip molds fall out of the production phase, that's pretty much all she wrote. On to the next round of devices. I doubt its a casual thing for a tech to lift the right parts from a dead one marked for such salvage, either. They can be like deeply rooted teeth.

Here's a cheap challenge. I'll bet it would be fun to show just how easy it is to get the Top 5 CS-80 legendary patches from pretty much whatever you're playing. The Vangelis brass/string pad is the obvious one, including pointers on how to make it slide, even without a touch strip. His space harmonica is another easy one. A properly lush effects chain, a little pitch bender practice and you're there, assuming you either A) have something original to say with those sounds or B) can handle being in a Vangelis cover band, with drunks throwing things at you and screaming for a rendition of "Cherry Pie."

I wonder what you'd name a Vangelis cover band? Memorabilia of Green?