Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dear Santa; I want a Con Brio

Remember this legendary bit of hard vaporware? Its a stunning accomplishment for the time in tech history. It delivers well on several bases, including the GUI. Its like a steampunk synth married Serum and had an android baby. To call it forward-looking is an understatement. Its pamphlet was one of my Top 5 'poster girls' back when.

The better sounds compete surprisingly well with 2021's standards. It would be a bit foolish to wish the Con Brio had "made it" as a mega-synth, but the lack of complete manuals & specs means you probably won't see it as an Arturia plug. Awwww.

Con Brio Synthesizer Instructional #1: Loading the O.S. and Light Show - 9 parts, none very long

"We're the crash test dummies of the digital age."
            ~ Kara Swisher, "Burn Book"

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Genuine, actual floppy disks that flop!

Except for being black, the computer part reminds me of my Mom's "doorstop Mac" that I learned to use. Hers used "super disks" the plastic cased floppies that were 1.4 mb, which was bigger than the hard drive.

Primitive. Virtually Stone Age.

Sounds amazing, gimme dat!

Maybe Soniccouture or somebody like that will model it.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Its not the sound that wows me the most, as amazing as it is. Its the very sensibly laid out panel that's on the far end from the ARP Quadra, with both instruments being clearly sectioned per system function. That's a real triumph of creative forethought for the time, when so many other designs either cratered or took three revisions to become playable. The Con Brio probably deserves the Best Breadboarding award, with a total run of two units.

Its a beautiful instrument to behold. Its either housed in a fetching polished wooden case that weighs a ton or it has vinyl "wooden" stickers as advanced as the synth.

"We're the crash test dummies of the digital age."
            ~ Kara Swisher, "Burn Book"