Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Phil Chen RIP

Phil Chen was originally from Jamaica and relocated to England. In 1973 he teamed up with Robby Krieger and John Densmore in the Butts Band. He went on to play on Jeff Beck's landmark instrumental album Blow By Blow. When Rod Stewart needed a Bass player he asked Jeff who he recommended and that was Phil Chen. Phil was with Rod during one of his biggest hit-making periods in the late 70s to early 80s. Phil later worked with Ray Manzarek and Krieger and most recently with the Robby Krieger Band.

Here he is in 2016 with the Robby Krieger Band who I happened be filling in on keys for. Robby Krieger played Bass on the original recording of "Soul Kitchen" and here Phil does his own embellishment of the part.

[video:youtube]

C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So many bassists passing away this year. Chen was one of my heroes, ever since his collaborations with Jeff Beck. And who can forget his tasty hooks in "Da Ya Think I'm Sexy?".

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager