Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New little amp needed.

I am thinking of buying a new little amp, It can be solid state, with a pedal that switches between clean and overdrive, with an input for an MP3 player as well as guitar, and a headphone output for listening.to the mix as well as my guitar while disabling the speakers (while the headphones are active). I would like to be able to tweak the presets and save the tweaks. I know some of you gave good suggestions a few years back.

Let 'er rip amigos.

:cheers:

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Couple of thoughts . . .

Line 6 Spider V 30

and . . .

Boss Katana 50 MkII

Kuru Prionz has had some useful experience with the Katana Amps. I suggest these because they have all or most of the features you asked for, right inside the $250 mark, and both Boss and Line 6 have some very cool signature effects, as well as the general run of classic Pedal & Amp models. The Peavey Vypyr series seem more voiced for modern Metal sounds, at least the Guitar Amps, and they have an odd proprietary foot switch, as well.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Couple of thoughts . . .

Line 6 Spider V 30

and . . .

Boss Katana 50 MkII

Kuru Prionz has had some useful experience with the Katana Amps. I suggest these because they have all or most of the features you asked for, right inside the $250 mark, and both Boss and Line 6 have some very cool signature effects, as well as the general run of classic Pedal & Amp models. The Peavey Vypyr series seem more voiced for modern Metal sounds, at least the Guitar Amps, and they have an odd proprietary foot switch, as well.

Those are good choices Winston.

I will agree with you that the foot switch for the Peavey Vypyr series is a bit unusual and I personally find it difficult to use the footswitches that are close to the pedal. That said, the feature set and the size of the Sanpera 1 is compelling.

I strongly disagree that the Peavey Vypyrs are voiced for metal. The presets would indicate that but going just a little deeper will provide lush clean tones and extremely responsive and expressive "dirty clean" tones. TransTube is analog and it has a similar feel to playing a tube amp but with a more defined bottom end.

My Vypyr VIP 1 with a Peavey Scorpion 10 installed is near/at the top of my favorite amps for tones, ever. This after owning 8 Mesa amps, lots of Fenders from the 50's, 60's and 70s (all tube), and a list that goes on and on.

The versatility and the depth of control for creating my own sounds is unparalleled by anything else I've tried or owned. I'm a fan, TransTube is Hartley Peavey's greatest contribution to modern guitar tone, a fantastic circuit if you spend time with it.

The next time you goof around with a Vypyr, select the Classic and press the amp selection button until you get either a green (clean) or orange (low to mid gain) light. Then turn the Pre Gain way down and the Post Gain (which means Output Gain, not "After Gain") almost all the way up. From there you can tailor a tone that is very responsive to the velocity of your pick, that sings sweetly and feels like a tube amp. You may be surprised.

But, I wouldn't recommend it to DBM because getting to know him on the forums indicates to me that he would like something that is simpler to use and honestly, the speaker that came with my VIP 1 was pretty crappy.

It's a bit of an undertaking to make a new baffle, paint it black, add a grille cloth and install the baffle with a new speaker. For me it was worth it, but I'm a cabinet maker's son, have the tools needed and have done such things many times before.

For an all rounder the Katana 50 MkII is hard to beat but it is a bit on the large size for what I suspect DBM is thinking. Price is right if you can find the foot switch cheap, I did.

Among the smaller amps, the Blackstar amps have nice features and sounds, so to the Roland Cube series. The Line 6 series has some nice small amps too.

DBM knows this but most inexpensive amps have crappy speakers and replacing that one thing can make a huge difference.

I'll keep pondering, it's early and I'm still waking up...

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Thanks for the suggestions my friends.

I just want a little practice amp that I can play without the speakers on (listening through headphones). I have the SCX2 which is my practice amp or if I go out on the road to visit family. I have the Egnater 15 watt Tweaker head which is if I ever perform out amp. Both of those are with me until I or they die. I want something small to practice when the wifey is at home. Something with an 8" speaker Or like Larryz suggested a few months back, The Roland street cube ex.

DBM, The Roland Street Cube EX4 (aka: EX50) I was referring to a few months back would be about twice your budgeted amount @ $500. I think the little $179 Fender Mustang T25 I posted above at SW would do what you want to do with earphones and recording and make a great little practice amp. The bigger models have some very cool foot switches in the video, and you might find one for a few bucks more. You could contact your contact at SW to see what the optional foot switch on the smaller amp will do. Good hunting! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

I haven't played that Fender Mustang but you sure can't go wrong to try one out.

It's become impossible to really try all the amazing new amps with multi-effects and other funs built in, they really have become incredible.

I may have to go try the Fender myself, I need to get something at our Guitar Center anyway (we only have one music store in Bellingham right now).

I haven't played that Fender Mustang but you sure can't go wrong to try one out.

It's become impossible to really try all the amazing new amps with multi-effects and other funs built in, they really have become incredible.

I may have to go try the Fender myself, I need to get something at our Guitar Center anyway (we only have one music store in Bellingham right now).

I will try to go to the Guitar Center about 20 miles from here (mostly freeway) and try one out. If I like it I will pull the trigger. I simply want 2 sounds clean without too much pick attack and overdrive a smooth Santana like overdrive and built in reverb. Plus the headphone out which disables the speaker and MP3 play-ability. Nothing else is needed. I also want tweak-ability on many options using an editor or at least saving the tweaks in the amp.

DBM, The Roland Street Cube EX4 (aka: EX50) I was referring to a few months back would be about twice your budgeted amount @ $500. I think the little $179 Fender Mustang T25 I posted above at SW would do what you want to do with earphones and recording and make a great little practice amp. The bigger models have some very cool foot switches in the video, and you might find one for a few bucks more. You could contact your contact at SW to see what the optional foot switch on the smaller amp will do. Good hunting! :cool:

Yeah when I am at guitar center I will try one out as well as anything else they have in stock. I am going to clean up my Ibanez RG321 for sale locally once that is done and sold I can go the extra mile on the Roland if I like it. I can afford any amp I want without hurting the savings much. But I am not interested in gigging out, so 2 guitars will suffice. I just want the amp so I can play in my shed or in the living room while my wife watches her TV. I live in a tiny mobile home with 1 small bedroom a small bathroom and a small kitchen/living room all in less that 400 sq ft plus my 120sqft climate controlled shed which is so packed with stuff I won't be able to practice there. The DAW in the shed is getting dismantled this week & the desk disposed of and the gear put in an old road case and stuffed up on a shelf till my oldest son can come and get it. One more thing I only pay $350 a month to live here, I own the property and mobile home that is why I want to stay here. (and that includes my monthly heat/cooling bill in that $350). That is why I want to continue living here I can not find a single place to live anywhere in the country for less that quadruple of what I pay monthly. Plus my water and sewer is included in my $350 mentioned above.

@ Kuru and DBM, I can't wait to hear the results and reviews of your GC visits. Hope you can try all of the small amps they have available and report back! It may be worth a call to see what they have on the floor before making the trip... :2thu:
Take care, Larryz

Larry, I was in our Guitar Center earlier today but I was looking for spring to repair a kick drum pedal and I found a set of used high hat cymbals that I liked so I bought those too.

I did a fairly quick walk-through but I wasn't thinking about small amps - except... I noted that the latest version of the Peavey Vypyr amps were in stock, including the X1, which is the one I want.

They finally stopped styling the Vypyr to look like a kid's toy, now it looks like a real amp. And the knobs are on top so not visible from the audience perspective, I like that too.

Eventually I'll sell a bunch of stuff I never use and get one. I want the new Sanpera 1 pedal too, it has the tap tempo feature. That is something I do use.

I forgot all about Fender, Line 6, Blackstar, etc,,,

So it goes... maybe DBM can fill us in. :)

Kuru, Glad you found something you could use and a future amp and pedal to save up for. We'll keep an ear out for DBM's GC amp trip review! :thu:

And I may still try out the Fender. I simply didn't notice if they had one in stock or not. Our GC is a smaller one with more limited space and inventory. It is also the only full line music store in Whatcom County.

25 miles south in Skagit county is Hugo Helmer's, a privately held music store that has been in business for many decades. It's huge, great inventory and excellent customer service. I like going there but I am afraid of it as well, too tempting!!!!

I have a Vypyr VIP 1 and an original Vypyr 15. The VIP sounds better than the 15 and I haven't tried the X1 yet but it's been quite a few years since the VIP came out so I suspect it is even better.

I've already got a Scorpion 10" speaker on the way, I put one in my VIP and it is a different amp.

The new Sanpera 1 added one feature that I know I would use often and they kept it simple. Still just 4 foot switches and a pedal (volume or wah, footswitch on the pedal itself so 5 total foot switches).

The new feature is that after you've selected your preset, the same switch becomes a tap tempo switch for the delay. That's a great idea.

+1 Kuru, I try to stay out of my favorite guitar stores as it's just "too tempting" LoL! I'm no longer gigging, jamming, etc., where I need to pack pedals with me as I'm not playing lead anymore these days. I use my guitar as my vocal backup and just need a little reverb on the amp. My Fender 65 Deluxe Tonemaster looks like a full-size amp, but it weights in around 20lbs, so it's as easy to pack if I ever do play out and/or use as a small practice amp. The 65 Deluxe is my favorite setting when using any amp modeling. The Tonemaster in my music room has been set on 1watt since I bought it and I rarely move any of the volume, treble, bass, power, etc., settings. Always liked a clean amp and back in the day I would put what I want in front of it (i.e., OD, Dist, Delay, Chorus, etc.). Looking forward to your review and DBM's on any small amp (and the little Fender) using the clean setting with a little verb for sweetener! :thu:
Take care, Larryz

Larryz, the VIP 1 with the Scorpion gets a huge range of tones. One of the presets is an emulation of a Fender Twin, you have to push that pretty hard to get it to distort, it mostly sounds big.

Tone knob settings vary depending on , well - everything. Reverb is lush. Stock weight is around 17 pounds, the speaker would take it up a few pounds, maybe 4 or 5. I like small light amps too, no reason anymore to have big amps.

There are other nice clean tones on there too, the emulation of the Peavey Classic runs from clean to dirty depending. It's a different tone than the Twin, I like it set to the edge of getting gritty, if I back off on my pick it's clean enough and if I dig in it sings. The main thing I notice about the Peavey Transtube analog tones is that it FEELS like I'm playing a tube amp, it doesn't just sound like it.

Just about all the effects in the universe are onboard, no pedals needed besides the Sanpera and that is powered by the hookup cord so one cable to plugin the pedal and one to plug in the guitar.

One of the reasons I want another amp is the sound in stereo, that can really be nice. I already have an AB box.

Kuru, that VIP sounds like a cool amp that can keep your juices flowing. At 17 to 20lbs it would be an easy in/out for stereo gigs using the AB box... :thu:

DBM, I think you should check out the Boss Katana-50 MK2 as it's right in your budgeted $250 bucks. Has all kinds of effects, channel switching, etc. Boss has always been great quality for the price! :thu:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Kata50mk2--boss-katana-50-mk2-50-25-0.5-watt-1x12-inch-cosm-combo-amp?

Take care, Larryz

Kuru, that VIP sounds like a cool amp that can keep your juices flowing. At 17 to 20lbs it would be an easy in/out for stereo gigs using the AB box... :thu:

DBM, I think you should check out the Boss Katana-50 MK2 as it's right in your budgeted $250 bucks. Has all kinds of effects, channel switching, etc. Boss has always been great quality for the price! :thu:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Kata50mk2--boss-katana-50-mk2-50-25-0.5-watt-1x12-inch-cosm-combo-amp?

The Katana 50 MkII is a great amp, I have one and have played quite a few gigs with it. But you need a footswitch to get the best out of it and there goes the price. I was lucky and found the footswitch at a thrift store - that doesn't happen often I'm guessing.

Other than that, it's awesome as a stand alone and you could just switch your 2 banks and 2 channels by hand, just pushing buttons. It is 25 pounds and much louder than anybody needs although the 1/2 watt setting is pretty nice.

Well, here's how some of us do things.

Today I dropped by Goodwill and they had a Line 6 Spyder IV 15 - 15 watts and an 8" speaker.

It looked clean, I plugged it in and turned it on, lights came on and turned up it hummed a bit through the speaker.

So I bought it. No footswitch but an input for MP3/CD and a headphone out. There is a jack for a footswitch so one could be added.

I fired it up at home, it works. The master volume is probably the only pot on the chassis, the rest are digital controllers. It was a bit scratchy, if turning it vigorously a few times doesn't clear that up I have a pot cleaner/lube I can spray in there.

See photos, second one is the price tag.

2544.thumb.jpg.20906f0048d4b0c65df88e43d2e27a53.jpg

2545.thumb.jpg.f14aba1219956a6fdee88d90594615e5.jpg

The Katana 50 MkII is a great amp, I have one and have played quite a few gigs with it. But you need a footswitch to get the best out of it and there goes the price. I was lucky and found the footswitch at a thrift store - that doesn't happen often I'm guessing.

Other than that, it's awesome as a stand alone and you could just switch your 2 banks and 2 channels by hand, just pushing buttons. It is 25 pounds and much louder than anybody needs although the 1/2 watt setting is pretty nice.

After viewing the video in the SW link, I was getting tempted LoL! I love the 25lb weight factor. I think it would fulfill all of DBM's needs (better than the Fender). The 100watt model has a few more features but I like the little 50. Not sure how much the optional footswitch costs? DBM could save up for one and buy it later and just use the manual method by hand you suggested till he gets one...thanks for the info and review! :thu:

Take care, Larryz

After viewing the video in the SW link, I was getting tempted LoL! I love the 25lb weight factor. I think it would fulfill all of DBM's needs (better than the Fender). The 100watt model has a few more features but I like the little 50. Not sure how much the optional footswitch costs? DBM could save up for one and buy it later and just use the manual method by hand you suggested till he gets one...thanks for the info and review! :thu:

The real magic with the Katana amps is when you download the free software, plug in a USB cable and start tweaking your presets. You will never see EQ, Reverb or even Rotary Speaker pedals like the ones the computer offers.

There are 60 Boss effects that you can use to make your program chains and the sound quality is very high.

The software is very easy to use and it only took me a few minutes to have my 4 presets up and running. I will admit that I did go back a couple of times and do some fine tweaking to get the tones just so and no other way.

Now it's perfect and I don't have to worry about it.

I used a Katana 100, played a lot of gigs with it and never had a problem. It is simply more amp than most of us will ever need - the output power options are 100 watts, 50 watts and 1/2 watt. I left it in 1/2 watt for almost every gig but a couple of outdoor gigs needed more power so I went to 50 watts which is crazy loud. The Katana 50 Mk II offers 50 watts, 25 watts and 1/2 watt. The speaker is not as efficient so the 25 watt setting is much easier to deal with if needed. I only used it once - 1/2 watt is more than people think!

I have a Vox VT20X, which is a great little amp and in your price range. Otherwise the Fender Mustang LT50 would be quite nice as well - it gives you a mid knob over the LT25.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

I love my little Vox Pathfinder 15R with an 8" speaker and headphone out... unfortunately, I'm not the only one as a devoted cult has developed around them and guys seem to horde bunches of them, which combined with the fact that they were discontinued for some reason means they're hard to find and often overpriced when you do.

I don't like headphones, but luckily my house was built by a retiring contractor who also owned a door factory in 1959, and all the interior doors are solid wood so if I close the doors to a room and my wife and kid do likewise they don't hear me... and I also don't like things too loud (I guess I'm getting old)... I like that Vox Pathfinder or a Vox AC4, usually on the 1/4 watt setting, in the living room, and lately in the bedroom, for mornings or afternoons when my wife is already up and about in the rest of the house and I feel like playing, my HX Stomp into a ZT Lunchbox Jr. The HX Stomp is making me so happy and proving so inspiring I'm starting to see why some people dump the amps and just use the Helix or Kemper Profiler into PAs. Maybe my back will talk me into that someday.