Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Alex Smith - Lady Gaga's Keyboardist

My bride and I watched the special "One Last Time: An Evening with Tony Bennett & Lady Gaga" the other night and we really enjoyed it.

From the very start, I kept a sharp eye and a keen ear for piano player's contributions; and while he was still on the piano, an early camera view looking out towards the audience was right over the Leslie speaker and a beautiful B3 Hammond. Oh boy, I was hoping we'd hear that -- and I was not disappointed! Can't recall if it was the 3rd or 4th tune she did -- don't even remember the jazz standard's name -- but the keyboardist hopped over to the B3 and he rocked it! With some close-ups of him on the Hammond too.

Through the magic of Google, I found out the man of the hour (sorry Tony!) -- for me anyhow -- was Alex Smith.

Wow, I was very impressed!

Then I was disappointed (a little) when Tony Bennett made his appearance -- on his 95th Birthday -- and he had his own pit crew. Anyway, the two of them -- and Alex, plus all the other musicians -- were really great together, and it was neat how Lady Gaga called out the musicians who were up front and soloing. Lots of talent on that stage!

Kudos' to Alex Smith -- I will now be watching and listening for more from you!

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't pay attention to pop culture, but my previous employer hosted "A Star is Born" right before COVID, and I was blown away by Lady Gaga's talents and passion as a singer AND AS A PIANIST. So I'm surprised to hear she has a keyboardist, but I guess most of her music is dance-oriented vs. ballads like in the movie remake (my favorite version of all four or five!), so she has to be front and center and unencumbered by an instrument?

As for Tony Bennett, it has been said that the song memories are stored in a different part of the brain. But he's been told not to tour anymore for other health reasons, not because he can't perform well (he still can).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I don't pay attention to pop culture, but my previous employer hosted "A Star is Born" right before COVID, and I was blown away by Lady Gaga's talents and passion as a singer AND AS A PIANIST. So I'm surprised to hear she has a keyboardist, but I guess most of her music is dance-oriented vs. ballads like in the movie remake (my favorite version of all four or five!), so she has to be front and center and unencumbered by an instrument?

As for Tony Bennett, it has been said that the song memories are stored in a different part of the brain. But he's been told not to tour anymore for other health reasons, not because he can't perform well (he still can).

Yeah, Lady Gaga is an amazing talent. I like the duets she does with Tony, her singing is heartfelt and beautiful. She brings it, every time.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

â¦it has been said that the song memories are stored in a different part of the brainâ¦

I can personally attest to this. At 67, I have been having what my neurologist calls 'biographical memory loss'. I forget everyday, trivial matters. Even events like gigs I recently played. But thankfully, not songs I"ve learned to play. Whether 20 years ago or yesterday. It can be scary at times, but as problems go, I"ll live with it.

I may post this again next week. If so, you"ll know why.

I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.

Bennett still has range. The music actually helps him even with dementia.

Yes, I saw that his wife and Lady Gaga both commented on that in an interview I'd read. I noted his on-stage time was short, which likely explains why she started with some tunes of her own, but he left on a high note with smiles all around.

I damn well hope I'm HALF that good when I am 95!!!

And having a pretty young dame half my age at my side... Sigh... Yeah, I'll take that too! :whistle:

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

Tony Bennett suffers from dementia but still remembers his songs and can still sing them. At 95, that is amazing.

it has been said that the song memories are stored in a different part of the brain.

I can personally attest to this. At 67, I have been having what my neurologist calls 'biographical memory loss'.

My father was also an example of this. He suffered thru 14 years of Alzheimer's disease including about six years without the ability of speaking... but every now and then, he used to surprise everybody by singing some old song, word for word, beginning to end. When it happened, he left all the surrounding people with their mouths open, thinking, "Wtf?! So you were just teasing us this whole time?"