Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Leslie Speaker 31A -- "Tall Boy"

Wow, back in the day (early 80's) when I was gigging with two of 'em, I thought I was pretty well up on the various models of Leslie Speakers -- but I'll admit, I don't recall seeing any references to the "Tall Boy" Model 31A. I remember seeing images of the black cabinets taller than the 147 & 145 we had, but nothing as big as this in wood.

It's a beast! And I sure would not want to have to carry or transport it -- but I'll bet it would look and sound awesome up on stage!

Here it is... (with an extra "reverb amp" installed)

YP4TSwG.jpg

Gd7t27V.jpg

By the way, if you want it -- it's listed on Fleabay for $1,299 (not mine -- I was just very impressed with it!)

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

from theatreorgans site (H, not the A):

Model 31H

Cabinet: Wood

Dimensions: Unknown

Rotors: 2 Bass/Treble

Amplifiers: Tube 30 watt

Speeds: Fast-Stop

Speakers: X,P

Belts: A,B

Motor-fast: 1

Motor-slow: none

Notes: This was the first Leslie built for use with Hammond organs. The case looked different to the later models, with a larger bottom part. Also it featured at least 3 different amps, all similar in appearance, but early ones used a toggle switch for fast/off, latter ones had a hook up like the 122.

Hookup: Early - Non Standard, Late - 6A

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

They are huge....kinda like moving a big grandfather clock.

I purchased one for $150 in 1976 when I was sophomore in high school for my recently purchased Yamaha YC-10 combo organ. I was clueless when it came to Leslie's and how to even hook them up.

When I saw it at Jensen's Music in Santa Barbara, they told me they'd need to "modify" it to work, and I'd have to come back. Their repair guy, 'Seymour" would wire it up.

My guitar player was taking an electronics class at his HS, and he opened up it up told me the wiring was really sloppily done, but he cleaned it up and attached a dimmer switch so I could "switch speeds". We eventually chopped it, but then it fell out of my truck and smashed into a zillion pieces. To the the dumpster it did go.

The "Seymour" who did the sloppy wiring was Seymour Duncan. He's done OK since......

Those sound so utterly FANTASTIC!

Cool beans!

I can't remember the net result, but I recall reading once (again, way back in the 80's) that the all wood inside of a Leslie 147 Speaker would be the equivalent of having a piano with a sound board 3 or 4 times larger. I wish I could recall all those details now...

Before this, the only other "Tall Boy" I knew was the ones the Brits used that sank the Tirpitz in a Norway fjord. :crazy:

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

I've definitely heard of the 31A, probably from my time at the Organ Forum and my interest in theatre organ sound. Also IIRC the Hammond SK1 had a model for that leslie, which was also interesting. I don't know whether I've heard one on any recordings or not.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

You don't call tall cans of beer Tall Boys down there?

Cans of beer??? See my avatar & forum name... :wave:

Old No7

I played at an old theater in Pennsylvania a few years ago where they had two of these Leslies and what looked like a B-series organ. The organ was covered up and I didn't have an opportunity to play it.
C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

I bought a functionally perfect 31H in 1972 for $150. What a great tone! The tremolo was sweeter than any 135,147,or 122 I've ever heard. The transition from stop to fast was truly glorious. Sounded a lot like the Leslie on Tommy James' Crystal Blue Persuasion.

Downsides: Huge and heavy. Not very loud. It had been painted gloss black with a huge gold eagle decal on the front that made it look like the hood on the Smokey and the Bandit Pontiac Firebird. It appeared that the cabinet was in good shape under the paint though I never stripped it to find out. After moving it a few times I sold it for what I paid for it. Dumbass move.

My friend who buys and sells Leslie's collects 31 H's.... the market is small for collectors he said but he told me fairly recently he sold one of his!

Field Coil Woofer in the originals to electrify the magnet ... early 1940's tech! 6LSS's power tubes in there go to crunch quickly.... quicker than 6550's ...

Nice to see, nice unit - good luck!

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

On the subject of Leslie's I have a 22H amp that may need a transformer (blowing fuses without tubes-signs of heat on transformers), though otherwise it seems to have been totally redone before I found it.

I need to figure out who is still rebuilding amps at reasonable rates. Please PM me if you'd rather not give recommendations in the thread. Suggestions greatly apreciated.

I just missed a tall-boy for sale in Boise Idaho for $300 3 years ago :(

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments. 

My friend who buys and sells Leslie's collects 31 H's.... the market is small for collectors he said but he told me fairly recently he sold one of his!

Field Coil Woofer in the originals to electrify the magnet ... early 1940's tech! 6LSS's power tubes in there go to crunch quickly.... quicker than 6550's ...

Nice to see, nice unit - good luck!

Isn't he the one that has a 30A on Craigslist?

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com