Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"The Big Book of Helix Tips and Tricks" Is Out!!

I'm really proud of this baby! It sure took long enough, but it's now officially out. This eBook has over 320 pages, 12 chapters, and over 200 free presets and files. It's a Sweetwater Publishing book, so like my eBooks published by Sweetwater and PreSonus, owners get free updates to the current edition, and a discount on future editions (very much like how software updates work). The book covers all Helix family gear, and is available now for $19.95 from Sweetwater.com. If you have a Helix...you want this book :) Check out the video!

Chapters:

01 General Techniques

02 De-Mystifying the Blocks (effects parameters descriptions!)

03 Preset Construction Tips

04 Poly Block Techniques

05 Bi-Amping Techniques

06 Cabinet Techniques

07 Combi-Band Processing

08 Building Lead Presets

09 3- and 4-Band Processing

10 Helix Bass Processing

11 Favorites Folder Files

12 The Overachieving Audio Interface

[video:youtube]

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations! That's quite an undertaking.

The video is to the point and looks great as well.

No Line 6 gear here yet, doesn't mean there won't be at some point.

Still slowly surfing your Max Your Mix book, there've been many distractions.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I don't have a Helix unit but now I kinda want one, do they have a rack mount version?

Yes, they do. Of course it doesn't include the footswitches and pedals, you'd need an external controller for that. But it does include that gorgous interface :)

FWIW there's more emphasis on HX Stomp-format presets, because they can also be opened in the more powerful boxes. The techniques in the book help you get quite a bit more mileage out of the 8 blocks and limited DSP power in the HX Stomp.

Hey Craig, have you experimented with sending MIDI Clock and CC to hardware Helix units? Got a friend who is struggling with that on his HX Stomp.

I guess it'd be easier to just use Helix Native with your DAW but I figured it's worth asking here.

I do that with the Helix floor, haven't tried it with the HX Stomp. Can you be a little more specific about the setup (e.g., what he's using to send MIDI clock - DAW, drum machine, interface, etc.)? Then I can check it out.

What I can tell you is that it works, but Helix has "free-running" sync. It syncs to the tempo, but doesn't necessarily start on 1. To reset the sync, you need to hit the Tempo footswitch.

Hey Craig, have you experimented with sending MIDI Clock and CC to hardware Helix units? Got a friend who is struggling with that on his HX Stomp.

I guess it'd be easier to just use Helix Native with your DAW but I figured it's worth asking here.

I do that with the Helix floor, haven't tried it with the HX Stomp. Can you be a little more specific about the setup (e.g., what he's using to send MIDI clock - DAW, drum machine, interface, etc.)? Then I can check it out.

What I can tell you is that it works, but Helix has "free-running" sync. It syncs to the tempo, but doesn't necessarily start on 1. To reset the sync, you need to hit the Tempo footswitch.

Sure, he says he is trying to send MIDI Clock and 2-3 CCs from Octatrack to HX Stomp. If I read his posts correctly, he can send Clock OR CCs but not both types of MIDI messages at the same time.

He says he is in the process of creating a MusicPlayer forum account, awaiting admin approval. He should be here shortly.

he says he is trying to send MIDI Clock and 2-3 CCs from Octatrack to HX Stomp. If I read his posts correctly, he can send Clock OR CCs but not both types of MIDI messages at the same time.

He says he is in the process of creating a MusicPlayer forum account, awaiting admin approval. He should be here shortly.

Done. ;)

Hi. So yes, that's it, clock from Octatrack, a few sequenced CCs, no other midi messages.

Okay, I'll check it out within a couple days. I'll see if what I do with Helix floor works with HX Stomp. I don't have an Octatrack, but I assume you've looked into whether it has any preferences regarding the sending out of MIDI data. All I can is test when HX Stomp can receive clock and CCs from a DAW. There may also be some issue with start commands...we'll see.

he says he is trying to send MIDI Clock and 2-3 CCs from Octatrack to HX Stomp. If I read his posts correctly, he can send Clock OR CCs but not both types of MIDI messages at the same time.

Done. ;)

Hi. So yes, that's it, clock from Octatrack, a few sequenced CCs, no other midi messages.

Well I've been looking into it, and I can send it both MIDI clock and control messages at the same time into HX Stomp over USB. I'm at a disadvantage to give any more advice, because I don't know what the Octatrack is sending (i.e., does it have a start clock toggle, or just clock pulses), whether you're using the MKI or II, whether you have update 1.40 which apparently added several MIDI features, whether the Octatrack is the main clock source for HX Stomp and providing it from the 5-pin DIN connectors (or whether it's also connected to a computer, so you're trying to drive the Octatrack from something else and HX Stomp from the Octatrack), etc. So, can you please be more specific about the setup and what parameters you've chosen on HX Stomp?

• 5 months later...

This URL should take you directly to the eBook's landing page, and you can order the book from there. If you still have issues, let me know, and please be specific about what happens when you try to access the web site. We'll figure it out. :)

On 5/28/2022 at 4:06 AM, Anderton said:

This URL should take you directly to the eBook's landing page, and you can order the book from there. If you still have issues, let me know, and please be specific about what happens when you try to access the web site. We'll figure it out. :)

I will sent you an e-Mail.

Maybe Sweetwater have problems with their servers, when I get an answer I will post it here.